So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

It’s a scare story, just like going back to green cards. Licenses and insurance is dealt with under the Vienna Convention on International Road Traffic Circulation. Nothing is likely to change. 

But it may be harder to swap a UK or IoM license for an EU one if you move permanently. 

About 100,000 of these documents - which cost £5.50 and take about five minutes to apply for - are currently issued each year, and they are recommended or required in more than 140 countries worldwide.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44881058

:whistling:

11 minutes ago, woody2 said:

It’s the recommended, bit. Under the Vienna Convention they won’t be required. I carry one because it has pages in multiple languages. I may be able to explain myself to a traffic cop in French, Catalan, Spanish, Italian or German, and they’ll speak English in Netherlands and the Nordic countries, my Bulgarian and Greek is rudimentary. Plus they accept them for car hire without the struggle with codes etc.

i do understand your Trumpian need to self aggrandise and exaggerate, by selectively quoting. But yet again you’re wrong.

7 hours ago, John Wright said:

Not quite right Barry, on the dollar front.http://www.nber.org/digest/jun00/h0124.html

The constitution gave the sole right to mint coin to the Federal Government in 1789. However there was no central bank until 1914 and no real banking union. Cheques from out of state were only cashed at a discount, the discount increasing the further you got from the east coast. Paper notes were often only accepted at 90-95 cents to the dollar in coin.

Even after the Fed was established there were 12 Regional Reserve Banks, who each set interest rates for their region separately. It wasn’t until 1935 that interest rate setting was centrally established and monetary union finally integrated and arrived.

Hi John! Thus link seems to refer to USA monetary union in the 1930s . http://www.nber.org/digest/jun00/h0124.html

16 hours ago, woody2 said:

i already have one.....

Why though?  You hate the EU.  Why would you want to visit and drive in member states? Why would you want to do business in EU member states?  Remember once you enter an EU member state it will be the EU "dictatorship" that sets the laws you will have to obey and it will be their courts that you end up in should you break the law.  Best just to stay in good old Blighty and stick your fingers up at the EU from across the channel, hoping that it all falls apart without Britain.  

10 hours ago, Barrie Stevens said:

Hi John! Thus link seems to refer to USA monetary union in the 1930s . http://www.nber.org/digest/jun00/h0124.html

I seem to have repeated the link you posted! ...Anyway, I got the year 1911 as the point of monetary union in the USA from Alistair Cook's "Letter from America". That was part of his topic that week. The reason it stuck in my mind was because he pointed out that President Ronald Reagan was born in 1911 and thus it illustrated how "young" the USA is in the great span of history....

I went to the exhibitions in Greenwich, London, during the bicentennial year of 1976. I am pretty well certain that when the Americans did their "Brexit" the UK supplied them physical money ie specie...They had very little currency and a lot was done on credit notes I suppose promissory notes?

I am also pretty well certain that at some stage I have seen British Dollars with the King's head on as used in North America but these may have been trade dollars? Illustrates as we see in our Brexit...Things are not what they seem and never really go according to popular perception and demand. 

The PM who settled a deal with the USA, I think it was Sherbourne?...His administration lasted about a year. He gave more British territory to the Americans than had been covered by the colonies. He had been a supporter of America and opposed taxing them and the subsequent war. He was a "Leaver" as it were.

Sherbourne (I think that was his name) gave away extra British territory in North America as he said the population was expanding and needed more room and also that Britain would have a good trade deal with them if we helped them along. Mind you the Americans claimed Canada but he said no to that.

This was not the popular idea of how the Americans should be treated at the time and I think Sherbourne had to go...and he did.  I think he lasted a year in office.

So you start out with a swell of public opinion for one thing and then circumstances bring about something you had not even envisaged. Or when PM Harold Macmillan was asked about why things change he replied "Events dear boy, Events" (It is alleged!)

Heaven only knows what our Brexit will look like when the smoke has cleared.

17 hours ago, woody2 said:

only if you intend to drive in the eu and no deal is done otherwise not effected.....

i already have one.....

It's a faff having to renew it every 3 years though. And it currently costs £24. Also unclear whether existing insurance schemes would be valid.

Just one of the many hidden costs of a no deal exit. Though insignificant compared to the huge increases in food prices which a WTO exit would cause for typical middle class families. Unless the govt plans to unilaterally abolish import tariffs as Minford is proposing.

I could definitely get behind Brexit if they went down the unilateral free trade route. Tariffs would cost consumers dearly. And, separately, the price of many non EU goods will also likely increase - not because of tariffs but because they will continue to be imported via the EU given the supply routes and economies of scale.

Edited by pongo

1 hour ago, manxman1980 said:

Why though?  You hate the EU.  Why would you want to visit and drive in member states? Why would you want to do business in EU member states?  Remember once you enter an EU member state it will be the EU "dictatorship" that sets the laws you will have to obey and it will be their courts that you end up in should you break the law.  Best just to stay in good old Blighty and stick your fingers up at the EU from across the channel, hoping that it all falls apart without Britain.  

you seem to be getting the eu and europe mixed up......

:lol:

some of us drive outside the eu, which is why i have one......

its a big world out there snowflake......

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, pongo said:

It's a faff having to renew it every 3 years though. And it currently costs £24. Also unclear whether existing insurance schemes would be valid.

Just one of the many hidden costs of a no deal exit. Though insignificant compared to the huge increases in food prices which a WTO exit would cause for typical middle class families. Unless the govt plans to unilaterally abolish import tariffs as Minford is proposing.

I could definitely get behind Brexit if they went down the unilateral free trade route. Tariffs would cost consumers dearly. And, separately, the price of many non EU goods will also likely increase - not because of tariffs but because they will continue to be imported via the EU given the supply routes and economies of scale.

interesting....... not......

prices will fall because the uk won't be restricted by having to buy overpriced eu goods.....

tariffs are a gain for the uk.....

2 minutes ago, woody2 said:

you seem to be getting the eu and europe mixed up......

:lol:

some of us drive outside the eu, which is why i have one......

its a big world out there snowflake......

No, but you are posting about international driving licences in a thread about the UK leaving the EU...  You really should have started a separate thread on the advantages of an international driving licence if your comment is not connected with this thread.

It is indeed a big world and one I have had the pleasure of travelling extensively.  I don't bother much with driving outside the UK though as it is a terrible way to experience a country and its culture (unless you are talking about the USA in which case it is practically a requirement to visit anywhere).  I don't even drive much in Europe as generally public transport and taxis are much easier and less damaging to the environment.  

BTW what is "snowflake" meant to mean?  That I am multifaceted, complex and unique?  It's flattering and all but you really are not my type.  

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

No, but you are posting about international driving licences in a thread about the UK leaving the EU...  You really should have started a separate thread on the advantages of an international driving licence if your comment is not connected with this thread.

It is indeed a big world and one I have had the pleasure of travelling extensively.  I don't bother much with driving outside the UK though as it is a terrible way to experience a country and its culture (unless you are talking about the USA in which case it is practically a requirement to visit anywhere).  I don't even drive much in Europe as generally public transport and taxis are much easier and less damaging to the environment.  

BTW what is "snowflake" meant to mean?  That I am multifaceted, complex and unique?  It's flattering and all but you really are not my type.  

you clearly didn't read the link.....

Brexit: Watchdog warns of need to issue driving permits

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44881058

:whistling:

59 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

18 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

I didn't need to.  I knew what the warning was already.  Another stupid effect of a no deal Brexit.

Now perhaps you should get around to answering John's post without being evasive.

you clearly didn't.....

55 minutes ago, woody2 said:

interesting....... not......

prices will fall because the uk won't be restricted by having to buy overpriced eu goods.....

Zero inward tariffs, ie one sided free trade, will kill what’s left of UK manufacturing and farming.

It really shows what Brexit really all about, it’s the endgame of Keith Joseph, Thatcherite, Reaganomics. Complete deregulation.

The working class will suffer the consequences, yes, prices will fall on imports, jobs will be lost because UK farming and manufacturing won’t be able to compete at home and will be priced out of export markets because they will still be imposing tariffs on UK exports.

It’ll also result in lowered safety standards, especially in food, where we will end up with chlorinated chicken, antibiotic fed beef and dairy and GM. Of course there will be choice, read the label, but most consumers will just go for the cheapest.

The lack of tariff inward duties will naturally reduce government income at a time when expenditure on unemployment etc will be rising

I’m not doing this from a remain or leave campaigning position, the leave decision has been taken. I’m looking at, the extreme option, the probable result of what the hard brexiteers are campaigning for, a no deal.

Its a critique. It’s the difference now between taking rules, with no say in their making ( JRM’s vassal state ) and shadowing EU customs and single market regulations and the other end of the spectrum option.

Thats what is on offer, nothing more or less. And that is what the electorate should now be given the option to choose between.

The referendum electorate chose to leave, to take back sovereignty, stop EU people coming over and immigrating. They didn’t vote to choose industrial and agricultural decimation, job losses and labour shortages in service industries. They weren’t told about those risks.

4 hours ago, woody2 said:

Tariffs will mean consumers paying more. And businesses which import. Those who supported Brexit will be blamed.

Most of the food we eat comes from the EU. The middle classes (ie the majority) especially. It's not as if we are realistically likely to start sourcing pasta, tinned tomatoes, olive oil or cheeses from the US or the Commonwealth. Nor should we. And a whole range of other food ingredients which most modern people eat a few times every week. The UK climate is too damp to replicate many of the food items we all mostly typically buy from abroad these days. 

People are not going to want to go back to a world of mild cheddar, stewed cabbage and mince.

Import tariffs would be stupid. Any government introducing them would quickly be voted out. Not only consumers but also businesses which import would be negatively affected.

Edited by pongo