So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

.............I don't understand!..............if any of it was produced and used in the UK, even if it cost's a little more to produce, what's the problem? The lack of transport and importation costs should more than cover any extra production costs.............maybe?...........I don't know of course, just wondering............

1 hour ago, doc.fixit said:

.............I don't understand!..............if any of it was produced and used in the UK, even if it cost's a little more to produce, what's the problem? 

A lot of what we enjoy today cannot even be produced properly in the UK because of the climate. Take something as simple and everyday as dried ham for example. The only way to successfully make that in the UK is artificially - with powered drying - eg electric. So we end up, instead, with the British styles of ham. Or worse.

Ditto many of the cheeses we all enjoy these days. The UK is too wet.

We're not going to be producing olives anytime soon either. And look how much olive oil we now all use. For the Brexit supporting generation it was probably something they remember getting from the chemists in small bottles. Today it's a basic everyday essential.

ETA: the point is that there is no reason why consumers should be forced to pay more because of tariffs. And some of these items, bizarrely, are likely to be classed as luxuries. The government should, at least, guarantee not to introduce any tariffs on food.

Edited by pongo

......thanks P..............sadly, I consider most of the items you mention as luxuries...............I use lots of olive oil but even so there are alternatives, maybe it's more to do with fashionable expectations than reality?.................however, thank you for the explanation..........

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can't think of an obvious alternative for something as basic as olive oil. And I certainly don't believe that we should be forced to think of it as a luxury. What is the point of Brexit if it means higher prices or fewer choices? It just seems stupid.

(Or white wine vinegar for example - which typically comes from Spain currently. Is that now going to be considered a luxury too?)

Edited by pongo

19 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

Scotland will want a say, so will Northern Ireland & Wales.  Brexit is not all about England and Westminster.  There are a lot of people all over the country who have a vested interest in the outcome.  Still no mention to Scottish Independence.

they have no say- no veto, read the supreme court judgement dumbo....

snp told membership to vote to stay in the eu because they would get another indyref. even stinky nicky has said this.......

the outcome had everything to do with independence......

My projectfear?  

Please feel free to quote me on where I specifically stated that any of that would happen.

you asked a question"Please tell me what benefits we are already seeing? " i just pointed out what remoans said at the time and what has happened....

You may be interested to learn that I am in the process of arranging for a workforce from the EU to enter the UK because we cannot find the required skills in the UK labour market.  Yes, we have created jobs, but these ones in particular are not being filled by UK workers.

so bad planning on your part......

it comes as no surprise to me that you are incapable of organizing anything......

17 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

.............I don't understand!..............if any of it was produced and used in the UK, even if it cost's a little more to produce, what's the problem? The lack of transport and importation costs should more than cover any extra production costs.............maybe?...........I don't know of course, just wondering............

boss of tesco said the same......

its cheaper to buy lettuces from the usa and fly them in than buy from spain and transport to the uk.....

11 hours ago, pongo said:

I can't think of an obvious alternative for something as basic as olive oil. And I certainly don't believe that we should be forced to think of it as a luxury. What is the point of Brexit if it means higher prices or fewer choices? It just seems stupid.

(Or white wine vinegar for example - which typically comes from Spain currently. Is that now going to be considered a luxury too?)

#fakenews

11 hours ago, pongo said:

On the up side we may go back to frying fish and  chips  in lard, ............"white wine vinegar " ....... what's that about?:lol:....... managed to life my life so far without it:D

Edited by paswt
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

Is there a reason the UK market doesn't currently buy the majority of lettuce from the USA, rather than Spain, then?

at a complete guess i would say eu import tariffs, but haven't looked it up......

#busy

also eu food sold outside the single market are cheaper due to cap's.......

so the uk is already paying more inside than it would do outside.....

11 minutes ago, woody2 said:

at a complete guess i would say eu import tariffs, but haven't looked it up......

Maybe this is helpful.

Spain

https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/trade-tariff/commodities/0705110000?country=ES&day=8&month=8&year=2018#import

USA

https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/trade-tariff/commodities/0705110000?country=US&day=8&month=8&year=2018#import

1 hour ago, paswt said:

"white wine vinegar " ....... what's that about?:lol:....... managed to life my life so far without it:D

Really? So when you make a salad dressing, for example, what do you use?

Or do you consider a salad dressing to be some sort of modern pretension?

28 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

Is there a reason the UK market doesn't currently buy the majority of lettuce from the USA, rather than Spain, then?

Cost. Tesco etc flew lettuce in from California and Arizona during the heatwave and the price more than doubled. Other perishables too. They did that before when there was some trucking problem or other from the Continent.

Air freight is limited although good for high value perishables. Also costs have to be covered by way of a sinking currency. Has to be paid for in Dollars.

There are dedicated flights for perishables but a lot relies on regular flights which carry perishables as an adjunct. That is why your luggage ration has to compete with the freight. The less luggage carried or more in hand luggage the more room and weight for perishables which pay highly.

That is why you pay so much for extra luggage. You compete with the high value freight. I used to live in Hong Kong and we got American produce flown in.

Sea freight short distance by way of trailer and ferry from the EU is always more economical than long range air freight for perishables. Think of the volume needed to feed the UK.

Anyway, this is the basis of air freighting perishables as I recall.

Britain has very little deep sea merchant shipping now mostly short range stuff to and from the EU. Imports from further away in the world I recall came in UK ships and exports likewise. Now we largely use foreign blue water ships and most has to be paid for in Dollars using sinking Sterling by way of exchange. We are geared up to close by just in time trade with the EU and it will take time to adjust.

Regarding imported perishables we could always go back to the world I grew up in. Everything in season. No one had a freezer then. Most Dads cultivated veg and salad in the garden/allotment. Always had rows of lettuce, long beans, onions, tatties, cabbage, swedes, onions, carrots, mini apple trees, cane fruits and strawberries. You need very little space.

Dig for victory...No, dig for Brexit... 

57 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/feb/03/tip-of-the-iceberg-lettuce-rationing-broadens-to-broccoli-and-cabbage

Lettuce from Spain £6 a box. Lettuce from USA £14 ditto.  The link leads to explanation of prices and cultivation of perishables in the UK..