So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

7 hours ago, Barrie Stevens said:

You are my vehicle....I shamelessly used you!

Curiously the Daily Express for what it is worth is going on about an EU deal for the UK based on the existing Channel Island and Crown Dependency arrangements. ie As I have suggested on MF before the Big Boy's Edition of Protocol 3..

It was in its day a way of getting the UK into the EEC by sorting out the contrary Crown Dependency issue, was created at the last minute and got the UK off the hook. Now how about Son of Protocol 3 to ease the UK out of the EU and ever closer union? (Only to be offered at the very last minute)...We could then have our lettuces/cakes and eat them! Financial services though?

I note that today's issue of The Times makes reference to the EU offering the UK "the Jersey option" ie Protocol 3 for Big Boys"...Funny that?

7 hours ago, Barrie Stevens said:

You are my vehicle....I shamelessly used you!

Curiously the Daily Express for what it is worth is going on about an EU deal for the UK based on the existing Channel Island and Crown Dependency arrangements. ie As I have suggested on MF before the Big Boy's Edition of Protocol 3..

It was in its day a way of getting the UK into the EEC by sorting out the contrary Crown Dependency issue, was created at the last minute and got the UK off the hook. Now how about Son of Protocol 3 to ease the UK out of the EU and ever closer union? (Only to be offered at the very last minute)...We could then have our lettuces/cakes and eat them! Financial services though?

It wasn’t a last minute deal at all. It was fully examined, after full consultation, by Lord Kilbrandon. He looked at devolution and the constitutional relationship of the Islands as UK was going into EEC.

Protocol 3 was But one option. It was the most palatable to IoM.

42 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It wasn’t a last minute deal at all. It was fully examined, after full consultation, by Lord Kilbrandon. He looked at devolution and the constitutional relationship of the Islands as UK was going into EEC.

Protocol 3 was But one option. It was the most palatable to IoM.

JW. I am not content. This is not what I was told by Tynwald Library.

There was the (Lord) Kilbrandon Commission and Kilbrandon Report (Often quoted) into the constitutional relationships of various parts of the UK. "Royal Commission on the Constitution". (Ordered by PM Harold Wilson)

It was taken over by Lord Kilbrandon in February 1972 when its original leader Crowther died.

The UK (And others) Treaty of Accession to the EEC (Now EU) was agreed on 22nd January 1972. ie A bit previous!

This Treaty of Accession became in force January 1st 1973 and the Isle of Man's situation by way of Protocol 3 was appended to this Treaty of Accession and was thus in force along with it.

The Kilbrandon Report was published and came out on 31st October 1973. Ten months later than the Treaty of Accession came into force.? 

Therefore it would appear that Kilbrandon came about after the IOM's position with the EEC etc had been settled.

I was told that it was a late night (3am) discussion and that to get the UK off the hook they eventually agreed Protocol 3 after much prior haggling at which IOM representatives were present. 

I would be happy to receive proof that either Crowther or Kilbrandon provided advice or guidance during the UK negotiations towards Accession and that this was the basis for Protocol 3. I find it hard to believe that Kilbrandon was able to create something acceptable to the EEC under the terms of a Royal Commission launched by the UK as at that time a non-member.

Otherwise it does not seem to synchronise with events.

Any comment or elucidation?

On 8/8/2018 at 5:46 PM, pongo said:

A lot of what we enjoy today cannot even be produced properly in the UK because of the climate. Take something as simple and everyday as dried ham for example. The only way to successfully make that in the UK is artificially - with powered drying - eg electric. So we end up, instead, with the British styles of ham. Or worse.

Ditto many of the cheeses we all enjoy these days. The UK is too wet.

We're not going to be producing olives anytime soon either. And look how much olive oil we now all use. For the Brexit supporting generation it was probably something they remember getting from the chemists in small bottles. Today it's a basic everyday essential.

ETA: the point is that there is no reason why consumers should be forced to pay more because of tariffs. And some of these items, bizarrely, are likely to be classed as luxuries. The government should, at least, guarantee not to introduce any tariffs on food.

dried ham is made in the uk.....

the uk is not too wet to make cheese.....

olives are a weed in spain, nobody pays the daft prices idiots like you pay for a small bottle when in spain and italy you can buy 5 gallons for less......

massive tariffs are already on imported food that the eu set......

• Like 2

5 hours ago, John Wright said:

It was examined during the evidence taking and the options were examined and options explored

I am still not content. They would have had to do the same simultaneously for the Channel Islands and their Dependencies likewise. I am sorry but I take Tynwald library's version. 

The Common Market was looming but the business was done in the early hours in Brussels or wherever as the UK was hanging on the hook of what do about the Crown Dependencies. 

According to Tynwald sources the EEC took the view that it did not matter much as the Offshore Counties as they were regarded were of little consequence compared to getting the UK to join up. 

Now it would seem that we are possibly looking at that same stance in reverse ie the UK leaving on terms that do not matter much as the effect will be minimal. Hence my concept that Brexit is BINO or Protocol 3 for the Big Boys.

Me thinks Me Learned Friend's case is verging on sophistry ladies and gentlemen of the jury. However, we are always open to persuasion.

They had similar discussions and evidence taking in all three. All three were offered fully in, fully out, or protocol 3. Fully in was a no no, due to the impact of freedom of movement and the impact on population controls or work permits. Fully out was a disaster given the integration of economies. Protocol 3 was the half way house.

Gibraltar opted for fully in.

On 8/9/2018 at 9:38 AM, woody2 said:

they have no say- no veto, read the supreme court judgement dumbo....

snp told membership to vote to stay in the eu because they would get another indyref. even stinky nicky has said this.......

the outcome had everything to do with independence......

Right... one more time for the hard of thinking.

I made no reference to Scottish Independence.  I made no reference to Scotland or Wales being able to veto brexit.  Those two points came from your imagination. 

I can guarantee though that there will be demands from the Scottish Parliament and the Welsh Assembly for further devolved powers post brexit.  They will also, and quite rightly so, be lobbying Westminster to ensure that they are not forgotten in any deal (or no deal) on Brexit.  If the Northern Ireland Assembly could stop bickering over what divides them and concentrate on the potential impact on Brexit that will result then they would also be lobbying central Government (although in fairness Eire and the EU are raising the issues of the border on their behalf).

you asked a question"Please tell me what benefits we are already seeing? " i just pointed out what remoans said at the time and what has happened....

I admit that many suggested that the day after the leave vote there would be an immediate crash, however, I believe that what we have seen is "business as usual" whilst everyone waits to see what the outcome of the brexit negotiation will be.  I do not believe that anything that has happened can be directly linked to the vote to leave with the possible exception of people be less willing to move and live in the UK.  Whether that is a benefit or not is arguable. 

so bad planning on your part......

it comes as no surprise to me that you are incapable of organizing anything......

Is that the best you have got?  You realise that in trying to attack me personally all you are doing is proving that you have nothing to back up what you are saying.  

#woodyfact 

23 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Right... one more time for the hard of thinking.

I made no reference to Scottish Independence.  I made no reference to Scotland or Wales being able to veto brexit.  Those two points came from your imagination. 

I can guarantee though that there will be demands from the Scottish Parliament and the Welsh Assembly for further devolved powers post brexit.  They will also, and quite rightly so, be lobbying Westminster to ensure that they are not forgotten in any deal (or no deal) on Brexit.  If the Northern Ireland Assembly could stop bickering over what divides them and concentrate on the potential impact on Brexit that will result then they would also be lobbying central Government (although in fairness Eire and the EU are raising the issues of the border on their behalf).

you said they should have a say- they have already been told by law they won't....

you made reference to the outcome of they referendum in scotland- i just explained why.....

26 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

I admit that many suggested that the day after the leave vote there would be an immediate crash, however, I believe that what we have seen is "business as usual" whilst everyone waits to see what the outcome of the brexit negotiation will be.  I do not believe that anything that has happened can be directly linked to the vote to leave with the possible exception of people be less willing to move and live in the UK.  Whether that is a benefit or not is arguable. 

basically every remoan said this, even the govs. propaganda leaflet.....

they got it wrong as they always do......

on a side note i see growth for this quarter is up again......

30 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Is that the best you have got?  You realise that in trying to attack me personally all you are doing is proving that you have nothing to back up what you are saying.  

the fact is you can't even plan for the future.......

#useless

19 minutes ago, woody2 said:

the fact is you can't even plan for the future.......

#useless

A future full of uncertainty thanks to Brexit....

As for the skills shortage we are facing this is well known within the industry.  Simply put there have not been enough people coming through colleges/schools for upcoming projects and many of those with the experience we require have retired.  We cannot simply pick someone of the street and train them up in a few months.  We need people with experience in the industry and that means recruiting overseas. 

I realise that recruiting security personnel for concerts is easy and that this is an issue that you will never have to face.  Although I am at a loss to think why anyone would want to work for you given your previous attitudes to employees.  

3 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

A future full of uncertainty thanks to Brexit....

wrong- possibilities......

3 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

As for the skills shortage we are facing this is well known within the industry.  Simply put there have not been enough people coming through colleges/schools for upcoming projects and many of those with the experience we require have retired.  We cannot simply pick someone of the street and train them up in a few months.  We need people with experience in the industry and that means recruiting overseas. 

I realise that recruiting security personnel for concerts is easy and that this is an issue that you will never have to face.  Although I am at a loss to think why anyone would want to work for you given your previous attitudes to employees.  

i have never done security for concerts......

it takes around 10 years to climb the tree in my business, its all based on experience and been highly qualified.....

leeches like you haven't a clue.....

its your failure to plan........

Edited by woody2