So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

14 minutes ago, ballaughbiker said:

Did I hear it right on 'wake up to money t'other day that Honda Swindon are supplied by Honda Ghent with 350 lorries each day. 

They ought to get Bernard Jenkin in to tell them how to go on.

Yes you heard aright. The Swindon factory has one hour's worth of parts in stock.

Also, I have to say, the same principle applies to the supermarkets. The systems tell the suppliers over in mainland EU what is what and it is then sorted and sent over. Often it is not wrapped and packed until the system says so "just in time".

The old World War Two pictures of blazing food warehouses in the docks full of ships unloading from all over the world are long gone.

Practically all of your orange juice is imported into Zeebrugge and then packaged to Tesco, Sainsbury etc. "Just in time" and then ferried over. 

We do not store stuff anymore. We to and fro it between the UK and the EU and that is why those in the business are getting uppity about the Customs Union and the Single Market. One of the car factories Jaguar-Landrover was it is already embarking on a three day week.

Anyone recall the "Three day week?" May not be for the same reason but looks ominous to me.

37 minutes ago, P.K. said:

The brexiteers all deny it (because they have to) but 50% of the food consumed in the UK is imported.

It's been our Achilles Heel for over a century.

That in itself is not such a problem. However, as said above we no longer buy raw food for the home and process it ourselves. Buying in grain and sugar is not a problem. Today we are buying a massive processing and distribution chain which is outside of the UK.

In example. You buy eggs and bacon or chicken. The feedstuffs can come from many countries and the items produced in many countries and processed in many countries. before they get to the UK even if they are raised in the UK. Before you even see a packet on a shelf.

I used to charter ships from Dar es Salam in Tanzania carrying cotton seed cakes made by the  Mwanza Cotton Seed Cake Company of Mwanza Tanzania (Lake Victoria) to Denmark for the pig industry.

This commodity went to Denmark to Esbjerg, Aarlborg and Aarhus (Spelling?). It was used to make pig and other animal feeds. Other ingredients included groundnut (peanut) shells which are protein rich but we cannot digest them. Then there was the bran from groundnuts (These latter from Kenya amongst other places). Then there was soya from Brazil and/or USA. Feed wheat from USA/Canada. Then barley. Then the mineral supplements.

All sorts all sourced from many countries and then fed to animals in other countries and then ending up in the UK in Tesco etc. OK maybe some was raised in the UK. 

All the above and more goes to make your Danish or for that matter Irish or any other bacon and eggs. Your eggs and bacon may originate from several countries so 50% is probably an understatement....Then there are the shipping costs. Freight is usually paid in US Dollars on top of using Dollars for commodity prices. The Pound is down against the Dollar so more Sterling is needed to acquire the freight...Hence the price rises. 

We struggled to feed ourselves when we had the world's biggest merchant fleet, many overseas and Imperial interests/friends and the imposition of rationing. You can do it but the rations would be so bland most people would wonder what they were eating.

How many people can recall a world of scrag end of neck, pearl barley stew, suet pud and tinned pilchards? I can recall when having chicken once a week was a luxury unless you raised your own in the back yard. 

Massive imports of food have changed the way we expect now to live. And we literally demand to have it handed to us on a plate! 

11 hours ago, P.K. said:

How is your understanding of WTO rules coming along? After all, once you realise what terrible damage they would do to the UK economy only an idiot (or charlatan of which there appear to be more and more in UK politics) would ever want a hard brexit.

Oh I'm familiar with the WTO arrangements, ta very much. What I want you to do is describe, in detail, what this "terrible damage" entails. But there's the rub, I don't think you have any idea. All I'm hearing is pompous Remainian rote.

So, definitively, explain where the "terrible damage" will occur.

If you can... 

Edited by quilp
Spit and polish...
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Barrie Stevens said:

The UK is a different place because it incorporated many former Imperial trade and business links with its role as an ideal jumping off point into the EEC/EU and even today much business is done in the City simply because of its working day and time zones straddle so many other places. 

The UK reversed its Empire. It opened up to former colonies, enemies and others all the while being part of the "Europe" club. Go down the High Street you can see the Empire and the EU walking up and down.

The EEC gave the UK a place and role on the world stage. The Arabs flooded the City with cash in the 1970s and until then there were still lots of old buildings and bomb holes. Arab money tidied up London.

Later the Americans came in and revolutionised the City. Hence the work ethic and new buildings. But the key was the UK and its laws and systems and handy place for Europe.

The Japanese and Germans came and showed us how to assemble cars but with the parts coming in and out of the EU on a just in time basis. Now we may lose all of that.

I would like to know what the UK has to "trade" on its own and if you mean physical goods whose ships will you hire to carry them? 

the (what is now) eu had no respect globally before the uk joined- it will disappear once the uk leaves........  

1 hour ago, quilp said:

Oh I'm familiar with the WTO organisation, ta very much. What I want you to do is describe, in detail, what this "terrible damage" entails. But there's the rub, I don't think you have any idea. All I'm hearing is pompous Remainian rote.

So, definitively, explain where the "terrible damage" will occur.

If you can... 

Just listen to this WTO trade negotiator for starters:

https://youtu.be/ca-v9rGE4-o

Loads of other stuff has been churned out but this puts it somewhat succinctly.

14 hours ago, Barrie Stevens said:

"Star, News and Standard!"..."Fog in the Channel-Europe Cut Off!"...Read all about it!

typical remoaner:rolleyes: you don't know the difference between the eu and europe......

" if you think you can bully our country, all I can suggest is that you read some history books."

dd 22/09/2018

23 hours ago, ballaughbiker said:

The term fake news ought to be banned on this forum like the t word.

It is nearly always (read always) used to dismiss or dodge inconvenient points without ever having to justify any contrary view.

Have to agree.

The brexiteers seem to be suffering under the delusion that if they hang a label like "#fakenews" or "#projectfear" or whatever on any uncomfortable truths the issues will suddenly disappear like magic and everything will be wonderful again in The Fantasy Trade World of Jacob Rees-Mogg and his ERG. It would be funny if it wasn't such a serious situation.

The ERG launch - at least this made me smile. Reproduced in green crayon as it seems to flush the brexiteers out: :)

"Shortly before 11am, committee room nine began to fill up. First in were Owen Paterson, Steve Baker, Peter Bone, David Davis, Iain Duncan Smith, Bill Cash and Andrew Bridgen. Next was Matt Ridley. Always useful to have a climate change denier who destroyed Northern Rock on board. Then came Jacob Rees-Mogg, followed a short while later by a sleep-deprived Boris Johnson, trying to slip in unnoticed. A full house. Just about all those whom no sane person would dream of leaving in charge of the country were gathered together to tell the world how they proposed to run the country if given half a chance.

"The event had been billed as “economists for free trade”. The plural turned out to be optimistic, as there was only one economist in the room. And only then if you apply the term economist very loosely. Patrick Minford is a man who has made a career out of being wrong about nearly everything, and he wasn’t about to break the habit of a lifetime.

"Every other economist had predicted a no-deal Brexit would lead to a 7% decline per year in GDP over the next 15 years. But Minford had news for them: they had all been looking at their graphs the wrong way up. If you turned them all upside down then the UK would see an unprecedented 7% year-on-year increase in GDP.

"It was simple, if only you knew how......"