So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

Just been watching the output from that nest of communist vipers that is the BBC aka The Pravda Plaything Newsnight.

Liam Fox, International Trade Secretary, stating that "If the EU reject our proposals then it's up to the EU to come up with counter proposals of their own..."

Errrr no they don't. Just how thick are you? OK, you're a brexit zealot so there's a clue in there somewhere....

We opted to leave them, not the other way around. They don't have to propose anything. The UK has to do ALL the leg-work. Jeeeeeze.....

Then Dominic Raab stating "It's time the EU met us in the middle...." bollocks bollocks bollocks.....

Looks to me like they're all resigned to the catastrophic no deal crash-out and are already playing the blame game.

Any deal that fails to accede to the EU four central tenets is ALWAYS going to be unacceptable so don't bother proposing anything less than that.

I mean, they've only been stating it right from the very start. That's all.........

The more we get into the truth of what brexit actually involves the more the brexiteers' Unicorn comes across as a tired whitewashed old donkey with a dildo on it's head....

59 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

Vital gaps in fruit picking? Does the UK really not have people who can do this?

Down here we grow veg, lots of veg. It's picked by Bulgarians who work amazingly hard. I doubt there's anyone on the dole who would want to or could even do that job.

1 hour ago, mojomonkey said:

Vital gaps in fruit picking? Does the UK really not have people who can do this?

No, not any more. Many of the EU migrants come from countries where farming is still a way of life and under the Soviet influence was for many years backward and labour intensive. There are many generation gaps separating us from farming. Very few people are today connected with the land.

Down on my manor when I wor a boy teenagers and women from the town plus Travellers would go pea picking, bean picking, apple picking and blackcurrant picking. It was good for us used to poor paper round wages in season and women did it for extra housekeeping and often for something to do socially.

The growers would lay on min-bus transport.

However today the pace of growing fruit and veg demands a different type of person not a lot of amateurs akin to when the whole village turned out for the harvest. Now we have a "just time" system of supply and demand and the whole process requires a different type of person able to cope with the pressure and frankly actually know what they are doing without intense supervision.

The buyers are the supermarkets who demand instant supply and perfect visual appearance. This requires labour with a modern outlook and I expect many of the migrants are not far removed from the land back home plus having qualifications.

I n the early 1960s picked beans in a field bent double for hours moving along rows filling seven pound boxes for Covent Garden in London. Each box held seven pounds of beans and I think it was 2s 6d a box when the market was firm and then as the glut arrived it fell to two boxes for 2s 6d and then 1s 6d a box but you had to produce two boxes at a time to qualify. Supervisors made sure you stripped every bean from every plant and the rows were hundreds of yards long across vast fields (It was a farm owned by Ford's where they tested farm machinery).

I got 13s 6d for working all day picking blackcurrants at Writtle Agricultural College Essex and 2s a time mucking out the cattle trucks in the local cattle market. I also emptied the drains and sumps in the truck discharging area and had to unblock the drains with my bare hands. I also set up the market stalls where they sold poultry and rabbits and goats and little pigs and chicks. 

I will let you work out the money equivalent in decimal currency....I doubt many today will have done any of the above when it was a natural sort of thing to do if you wanted some Wonga.

"We used to get up half an hour before we went to bed and lick road clean with our tongue..Lived in cardboard box...What with lid on? ...You had it softlad! etc...And yes my mother did make thin watery gravy but it made men of us....etc etc.

The basic answer is that no we do not have many people willing to work hard for an agricultural wage because it is such poor money but it is great if you come from the Steppes or some village in Bulgaria where they make beetroot soup when they are not producing poisonous umbrellas.

1 hour ago, Barrie Stevens said:

No, not any more. Many of the EU migrants come from countries where farming is still a way of life and under the Soviet influence was for many years backward and labour intensive. There are many generation gaps separating us from farming. Very few people are today connected with the land.

Down on my manor when I wor a boy teenagers and women from the town plus Travellers would go pea picking, bean picking, apple picking and blackcurrant picking. It was good for us used to poor paper round wages in season and women did it for extra housekeeping and often for something to do socially.

The growers would lay on min-bus transport.

However today the pace of growing fruit and veg demands a different type of person not a lot of amateurs akin to when the whole village turned out for the harvest. Now we have a "just time" system of supply and demand and the whole process requires a different type of person able to cope with the pressure and frankly actually know what they are doing without intense supervision.

The buyers are the supermarkets who demand instant supply and perfect visual appearance. This requires labour with a modern outlook and I expect many of the migrants are not far removed from the land back home plus having qualifications.

I n the early 1960s picked beans in a field bent double for hours moving along rows filling seven pound boxes for Covent Garden in London. Each box held seven pounds of beans and I think it was 2s 6d a box when the market was firm and then as the glut arrived it fell to two boxes for 2s 6d and then 1s 6d a box but you had to produce two boxes at a time to qualify. Supervisors made sure you stripped every bean from every plant and the rows were hundreds of yards long across vast fields (It was a farm owned by Ford's where they tested farm machinery).

I got 13s 6d for working all day picking blackcurrants at Writtle Agricultural College Essex and 2s a time mucking out the cattle trucks in the local cattle market. I also emptied the drains and sumps in the truck discharging area and had to unblock the drains with my bare hands. I also set up the market stalls where they sold poultry and rabbits and goats and little pigs and chicks. 

I will let you work out the money equivalent in decimal currency....I doubt many today will have done any of the above when it was a natural sort of thing to do if you wanted some Wonga.

"We used to get up half an hour before we went to bed and lick road clean with our tongue..Lived in cardboard box...What with lid on? ...You had it softlad! etc...And yes my mother did make thin watery gravy but it made men of us....etc etc.

The basic answer is that no we do not have many people willing to work hard for an agricultural wage because it is such poor money but it is great if you come from the Steppes or some village in Bulgaria where they make beetroot soup when they are not producing poisonous umbrellas.

Woody refers to lazy EU nationals, neither Bulgaria nor Russia is not in the EU. *My mistake

To be honest I am totally aware of the lack of desire of UK native citizens to do low paid, tough, manual labour. It’ll be interesting to see what does actually happen to these jobs once the UK leaves the EU.

Edited by mojomonkey

1 hour ago, mojomonkey said:

but they are all getting booted out, aren't they?

no

1 hour ago, GD4ELI said:

Down here we grow veg, lots of veg. It's picked by Bulgarians who work amazingly hard. I doubt there's anyone on the dole who would want to or could even do that job.

cornwall is 3rd world.....

they could do it by machinery.......

once they workout what a tractor is.....

13 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

To be honest I am totally aware of the lack of desire of UK native citizens to do low paid, tough, manual labour. It’ll be interesting to see what does actually happen to these jobs once the UK leaves the EU.

same as now-by machines......

Bulgaria joined the EU in 2007...As did Romania. Hungary joined in 2004

My reference to the Steppes was an oblique reference to those from Eastern European countries with a seeming endless vista of land long under agriculture.

Poland along with Bulgaria, Hungary and Romania were once the "bread basket" of Europe as once was Russia and which has since regained its place as a grain exporter after years of failed farming schemes and the need to import from the USA.