So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

ouch....

And Patrick Minford, chairman of Economists for Brexit, said it was wrong to assume that Brexit without an EU trade deal would be bad for the UK.

"Our research demonstrates that that if the UK removes all import tariffs, even if the EU does not reciprocate, we will add to 4% to GDP and 7.3% to UK treasury receipts, compared to the status quo," he said.

"Our economy can and will flourish outside the single market and we do not need a trade deal with the EU to deliver that."

Now that is a right wing point of view!

An economist a long time ago wrote: if your trading partner throws rocks into his harbour, that is no reason to throw rocks into your own.

I pretty much agree with that, but politicians think free trade is a bargaining chip, and think they can throw rocks which can land only in their rivals harbours and not theirs.

Woody, would you be willing to accept German cars tariff free if the Germans put a 35% tariff on our exports to them?

Doing that would be better for Britain than reciprocating the German protectionism - 4% better according to Mr Minford A German tariff would be very bad news indeed for our car makers but responding by hurting the UKs car buyers is no solution to that at all.

But passively dropping our tariffs while the EU raises them is political poison because of the popular view that protectionism helps an economy.

We are probably going to enter a period of trade wars, currency wars and then probably literal wars. It was always unavoidable once the world economy continues to head down, we just need to position ourselves in the best spot to negotiate our way through it as best we can.

then probably literal wars

This is something I would politely disagree with. But I would be curious to know more about why you believe that. And I do think that you seem to sometimes tend towards dramatically bleak outlooks. I've ribbed you about that before - ie on the economy, gold, the future of the IOM etc.

(Accepting of course that there are always little wars, the threat of increased tensions, proxy wars etc).

It's partly that I don't believe the conditions exist for big wars today between the economically developed nations. It's partly that I believe there is nothing to win anymore.

It's partly that I don't believe the conditions exist for big wars today between the economically developed nations. It's partly that I believe there is nothing to win anymore.

I very politely agree with this.

And the small wars bit.

It will get to the point where it looks like war but there wont be one. If i am wrong you can quote me on that come the time.

"As the bombs fell and the fire razed across the horizon, Tarne couldn't help but think his last thought "HA, Enigma was wrong!""

• Like 1

@ Pongo: I do admire your optimism but there will always be wars and strife. It is part of the human condition. I wonder how many observers down the century have considered war obsolete. They've always been wrong and they always will be. The only thing that has improved is the ferocity of the weapons. The belief that it can't happen to us in our time is actually quite a dangerous complacency. Vigilance is not bleak. It is insurance.

• Like 1