So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

22 minutes ago, Freggyragh said:

Care to let us know what it is the U.K., as a member of the EU can’t export to the US or China that it will when it’s negotiating on its own. One product will do. 

the eu pay more tariffs than those outside the eu......

wto for cheaper prices......

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

I'd rather be like a Brexiter and not think about it at all.....

The Maybot is headed into a shitstorm over the next couple of days where she will try and gather up some crumbs of comfort from the EU table.

I find where we are right now difficult to believe. I thought that Spitting Image had John Major absolutely nailed. Mind you Edwina Curry!!!??? Dubious taste but courage never goes out of fashion I suppose. Anyway John Major and team came away from "The Maastricht Treaty" with an absolutely storming deal. Full access to the single market and not in the single currency! They probably couldn't believe their luck.

The best of ALL worlds.

But it seems we are going to throw all that away because a group of sleazy, self-centered politicians motivated the racists and promised the world to the gullible.

As a country we must be the laughing stock.

This John Major:

"I understand the motives of those who voted to leave the European Union: it can – as I well know – be very frustrating. Nonetheless, after weighing its frustrations and opportunities, there is no doubt in my own mind that our decision is a colossal misjudgment that will diminish both the UK and the EU. It will damage our national and personal wealth, and may seriously hamper our future security. It may even, over time, break up our United Kingdom. It will most definitely limit the prospects of our young.

And – once this becomes clear – I believe those who promised what will never be delivered will have much to answer for. They persuaded a deceived population to vote to be weaker and poorer. That will never be forgotten – nor forgiven."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/oct/16/false-promises-brexit-john-major

major ffs:rolleyes:

the second most anti democratic pm the uk has ever had.....

25 minutes ago, woody2 said:

the eu pay more tariffs than those outside the eu......

wto for cheaper prices......

You’re wrong. What tariffs do you imagine the US has on British goods at the moment? What is it that the U.K. exports to the US that has any significant tariff? I doubt you can name one category of goods that EU hasn’t negotiated a zero tariff, or less than 2% tariff for - because I don’t think there are any. There just might be some slightly higher tariffs on goods Germany exports to the US, but not on anything significant Britain produces. 

In the event of Brexit ever happening, the best the U.K. can hope for is David Davis or Liam Fox putting in a shift and getting a trade deal with the US as good as the one the EU has now. I think we both know those lazy toads would just balls it up and blame it on someone else, probably immigrants. 

Edited by Freggyragh

2 minutes ago, Freggyragh said:

You’re wrong. What tariffs do you imagine the US has on British goods at the moment? What is it that the U.K. exports to the US that has any significant tariff? I doubt you can name one category of goods that EU hasn’t negotiated a zero tariff, or less than 2% tariff for - because I don’t think there are any. There just might be some slightly higher tariffs on goods Germany exports to the US, but not anything significant Britain produces. 

In the event of Brexit ever happening, the best the U.K. can hope for is David Davis or Liam Fox putting in a shift and getting a trade deal with the US as good as the one the EU has now. I think we both know those lazy toads would just balls it up and blame it on someone else. 

i'm not- you clearly missed trump putting up eu tariffs.....

aus did a deal with the usa in 18 months.....

eu has been in talks since the 1990's:lol:

1 minute ago, Freggyragh said:

In the event of Brexit ever happening, the best the U.K. can hope for is David Davis or Liam Fox putting in a shift and getting a trade deal with the US as good as the one the EU has now. I think we both know those lazy toads would just balls it up and blame it on someone else. 

I think the EU ban on US products like chlorinated chicken, beef riddled with growth hormones, GM products grown in fields sprayed with toxic pesticides etc etc are absolutely spot on. Haven't the US realised that the ramifications of such actions can stay hidden for years until it's too late - like BSE?

No thanks.

1 hour ago, woody2 said:

i'm not- you clearly missed trump putting up eu tariffs.....

aus did a deal with the usa in 18 months.....

eu has been in talks since the 1990's:lol:

The UK's major export is financial services. The USA is not going to do a deal on financial services. Insurance exports, one of Britain's major markets (and often under the fold - as part of other contracts), happens under EU negotiated bi-lateral agreements. That business is moving out of London.

Even if Trump wanted to deliver a deal or could be trusted - he isn't in any position to actually do it. Anyone who believes that there will be a significant deal with the US is an idiot.

Edited by pongo

13 hours ago, P.K. said:

I think the EU ban on US products like chlorinated chicken, beef riddled with growth hormones, GM products grown in fields sprayed with toxic pesticides etc etc are absolutely spot on. Haven't the US realised that the ramifications of such actions can stay hidden for years until it's too late - like BSE?

No thanks.

the eu agreed to allow import from the usa.......

12 hours ago, ballaughbiker said:

Reuters say it's the USA that has shown little interest to the proposed trade talks with the EU recently. However no doubt our local expert knows differently?

talks have just restarted with the eu- uk trade deal talks are already underway but can't be signed until uk leaves.....

11 hours ago, pongo said:

The UK's major export is financial services. The USA is not going to do a deal on financial services. Insurance exports, one of Britain's major markets (and often under the fold - as part of other contracts), happens under EU negotiated bi-lateral agreements. That business is moving out of London.

Even if Trump wanted to deliver a deal or could be trusted - he isn't in any position to actually do it. Anyone who believes that there will be a significant deal with the US is an idiot.

#fakenews

Edited by woody2

Steel and aluminium are the big two. Only three countries can sell steel and aluminium tariff free to the US, Nafta countries Canada and Mexico, and Australia. Australia doesn’t produce much steel, it exports ore. It does ship a fair bit of aluminium.

The US slapped tariffs on steel and aluminium for global strategic reasons. They are very anxious about China, its steel and aluminium industries and the military as well as economic threat that goes with overcapacity in China. The EU has also wanted to increase tariffs on Chinese steel - it was the U.K. that argued against tariffs and wanted ‘market economy status’ for China. 

I wanted you to discuss steel because it is a good illustration of how ‘sovereignty’ would work after Brexit. The US, EU and China will all want to dictate trade policy to the U.K. on things like steel. Whereas up to now the U.K. has had significant leverage in the largest trade block, in the future it’ll be in a much tougher position. If you think the U.K. will be setting its own trade policy with China and then getting a free-trade deal with the US you have been sold a pup.

Back to the first question; do you know of any country that has done well trading outside a trading block on WTO rules alone? As ever, one example will do. 

12 minutes ago, Freggyragh said:

Steel and aluminium are the big two. Only three countries can sell steel and aluminium tariff free to the US, Nafta countries Canada and Mexico, and Australia. Australia doesn’t produce much steel, it exports ore. It does ship a fair bit of aluminium.

The US slapped tariffs on steel and aluminium for global strategic reasons. They are very anxious about China, its steel and aluminium industries and the military as well as economic threat that goes with overcapacity in China. The EU has also wanted to increase tariffs on Chinese steel - it was the U.K. that argued against tariffs and wanted ‘market economy status’ for China. 

I wanted you to discuss steel because it is a good illustration of how ‘sovereignty’ would work after Brexit. The US, EU and China will all want to dictate trade policy to the U.K. on things like steel. Whereas up to now the U.K. has had significant leverage in the largest trade block, in the future it’ll be in a much tougher position. If you think the U.K. will be setting its own trade policy with China and then getting a free-trade deal with the US you have been sold a pup.

Back to the first question; do you know of any country that has done well trading outside a trading block on WTO rules alone? As ever, one example will do. 

just a bit more rope......

loving your new winter coat by the way......

1091624557_Lovelywintercoats.thumb.jpg.488d2f6ddb4ca114d8cb6176e3fd4b0b.jpg