So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

Pound is 1.14 to the euro. Big deal. It was 1.04 in 2008.

Er.. yeah but totally difference scenarii. A lot of other financial shit happened around 2008 and didn't drop like a stone in a day as happened last June. Some experts predicted that to last for a few days and its been 8 months.

You can much more easily write this off as a 'so what' unless you are doing business in the EU where it can be a disaster. Just in yesterday's change from 0900 to 1600 some business over there cost me an extra £550. In one day. It's too easy to say 'so what' if your pint of Okells or packet of smokes haven't gone up today. I just pray she actions a50 on Monday or Tuesday.

I was only going back to 67 (well googled) as commie was trying to tell us his devaluation would have no noticeable effect and that was 14% drop. Even the cartoon writers immediately saw past that. For an Oxford don having read politics and economics he would have known his £ in your pocket speech was complete nonsense. Edit : what does that tell you about his disdain for the voting populus?

We must be a similar age woolley (didn't think you were that old...) as my grandad always referred to 5/- as a dollar.

Edited by ballaughbiker
  • Like 1

Not had the accounts signed off for a couple of decades has it?

Fact Check: False

Reality Check: Has the EU had its accounts signed off? - BBC

The Court of Auditors has signed the EU accounts every year since 2007, while pointing out that EU countries, once they receive the EU funds, misuse about 4.4% of the total budget.

GBP vs EUR is still only slightly above* the 10 year average. And I believe that Wooley may well be right about the long term prospects for Sterling.

The best thing about Brexit is that it cuts UKIP off at the knees - the populist backlash against the imaginary elites is over. Britain is clearly going to continue to have a semi-detached pro-trade relationship with the EU. But there will be nothing concrete for the populists and troublemakers to campaign against.

* or below depending on which way you look at it

Edited by pongo

The Court of Auditors has signed the EU accounts every year since 2007, while pointing out that EU countries, once they receive the EU funds, misuse about 4.4% of the total budget.

fake news, they moved the goal post in 2007. just because a corrupt eu department says everything is ok doesn't mean it is.

i wonder if the taxman would accept my accounts with the same "misuse"........

Well, I was watching a political program on one of the news channels yesterday morning and they were discussing political news. The main thing was artical 50, followed by BT and a couple of other issues. The last thing brought up was Europe again, but this time discussions within the eu about kicking Greece out, without financial penalty, or even paying back their debt. How ironic.

The EU is screwed without the UK. I have said before and I will say again. 10% of the population of the union leaves taking 15% of the GDP. That will not end well for the union. They are desperate for uk money. TM needs to tell them to FO. No payments, just trade deals

• Like 1

You can much more easily write this off as a 'so what' unless you are doing business in the EU where it can be a disaster. Just in yesterday's change from 0900 to 1600 some business over there cost me an extra £550. In one day. It's too easy to say 'so what' if your pint of Okells or packet of smokes haven't gone up today. I just pray she actions a50 on Monday or Tuesday.

I do have sympathy because we are suffering too, as are our customers, but you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs. It'll be turbulent for a while.

Just in yesterday's change from 0900 to 1600 some business over there cost me an extra £550

Building work or similar domestic stuff? Or actually trading, doing business.

Either way, surely this kind of thing can be hedged against by transferring the funds to a EUR account when the contract is agreed?

Thank you, Pongo. I suppose the situation was so bad for so long that it can pass for indisputable fact. However, that link is hardly a ringing endorsement of probity.

Here's another take from Fullfact: https://fullfact.org/europe/did-auditors-sign-eu-budget/

I'd still check those accounts signatures though for a Monsieur M. Souris.

• Like 1