So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

11 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

Everyone knows the deal is sh!t.  That is not a secret.  I don't think I have seen anyone really supporting it beyond May who is desperately clinging to her position.  

What the House of Commons does next is the important bit...

It is rather amusing to see all those Mps who told us how we would be able to get a great deal seem to have gone very quiet...

Other than that it is pretty clear that the UK is going to leave the EU and all of us hope thatbtge Government don't completely fuck it up.

it's what comes after that which is more important.....

parliament only gets a yes/no vote.......

Famous scientist was she? 

yes....

Actually fair play to you.  It appears that she is on the long list.

Love or loathe her she is a significant woman in UK history having been the first female British PM.

told ya.....

I wonder what she would make of the Maybot? 

breakfast.......

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, John Wright said:

parliament can only put forward a motion, it's non-legally binding......

only the gov. can bring forward statute to overturn the withdrawal act.......

Irrespective of whether she made the or any list, she was hardly a famous scientist.

Whatever playground names you want to call me today,  your confirmation above that she was a famous scientist remains pure hyperbole.

Edited by ballaughbiker

5 hours ago, woody2 said:

parliament can only put forward a motion, it's non-legally binding......

only the gov. can bring forward statute to overturn the withdrawal act.......

You are overlooking one fundamental fact. Section 1, which repeals the 1972 European Communities Act and gives effect to exit isn’t in force. To come into force it needs an Appointed Day Order. 

That doesn’t need an Act of Parliament. If nothing is done the exit provisions and repeal of the 1972 Act never come into law or take effect. ECA 1972 stays in force and effect.

So, theoretical scenario.

May loses the Leave deal vote.

May resigns. ( or even if she doesn’t )

Parliament passes a motion ordering the government to seek extension of Art 50. Or government does it anyway.

Whether or not there is a general election it is clear that the EU won’t budge in negotiations..

There is no parliamentary majority for hard brexit. Government can’t get through Hard Brexit Act.

Second referendum is called. Question is now binary. Out on no deal terms or stay in.

if it’s out, then government of day will make the appointed day Order, there may have to be an Act to amend the date of exit day.

If it’s stay, then government of day will not make an appointed day Order. 2018 Act is a dead duck. Eventually it will be repealed, but there is no urgency.

Most steps are flexible.

But if a resolution is passed in parliament to extend Art 50, or withdraw it, no government is going to make an appointed day Order, is it?

Edited by John Wright

1 minute ago, mojomonkey said:

I admire the optimism of expecting a reasoned response to that.

I’m not. I’m just setting the record straight. I know I’m going to get

silly smiley face, or,

#fakenews, or,

snowflake and meltdown allegations, or,

some other stupid comment taking debate nowhere.

Yes, I believe in the EU, and would have voted remain, had I had a vote.

I think any Brexit will be catastrophic, not as project fear, but pragmatically, because that’s the evidence and I don’t believe in unicorns.

Yes, I believe that a second referendum is the most democratic way of resolving the current impasse. 

But I’d stand by the decision and hope for the best, whatever it is.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, John Wright said:

You are overlooking one fundamental fact. Section 1, which repeals the 1972 European Communities Act and gives effect to exit isn’t in force. To come into force it needs an Appointed Day Order. 

That doesn’t need an Act of Parliament. If nothing is done the exit provisions and repeal of the 1972 Act never come into law or take effect. ECA 1972 stays in force and effect.

So, theoretical scenario.

May loses the Leave deal vote.

May resigns. ( or even if she doesn’t )

Parliament passes a motion ordering the government to seek extension of Art 50. Or government does it anyway.

Whether or not there is a general election it is clear that the EU won’t budge in negotiations..

There is no parliamentary majority for hard brexit. Government can’t get through Hard Brexit Act.

Second referendum is called. Question is now binary. Out on no deal terms or stay in.

if it’s out, then government of day will make the appointed day Order, there may have to be an Act to amend the date of exit day.

If it’s stay, then government of day will not make an appointed day Order. 2018 Act is a dead duck. Eventually it will be repealed, but there is no urgency.

Most steps are flexible.

But if a resolution is passed in parliament to extend Art 50, or withdraw it, no government is going to make an appointed day Order, is it?

motions aren't legal binding on the gov. john....

the gov. can ignore it......

the gov. has the power no one else......