So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

1 minute ago, woody2 said:

motions aren't legal binding on the gov. john....

the gov. can ignore it......

the gov. has the power no one else......

Never mind, you’ve missed the point. Section 1 isn’t law, and may never become law.

And I’ve explained above how to get around the issue of Parliament passing a resolution and government ignoring it. It nominates someone else to deliver it.

Government has to take positive action to bring section 1 into effect. If it’s told not to do you really think it would?

6 hours ago, ballaughbiker said:

Famous scientist? Hardly. Chemistry graduate who then worked in industry. 

6 hours ago, ballaughbiker said:

Irrespective of whether she made the or any list, she was hardly a famous scientist.

Whatever playground names you want to call me today,  your confirmation above that she was a famous scientist remains pure hyperbole.

5 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

What contribution did Thatcher ever make to science?

You see W2, if you post facts then people will concede the point or agree with you, it's that simple.

Very probably.  I wonder what Thatcher would make of Brexit?  

probably the most famous person on the list......

she meets the criteria......

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Never mind, you’ve missed the point. Section 1 isn’t law, and may never become law.

And I’ve explained above how to get around the issue of Parliament passing a resolution and government ignoring it. It nominates someone else to deliver it.

Government has to take positive action to bring section 1 into effect. If it’s told not to do you really think it would?

the withdrawal act is law......

the gov. can ignore the motion.....

what happens next is up to the pm/gov not mps.....

The BoE are looking for someone who has contributed to science. It takes a long stretch of the imagination to say that Margaret Thatcher is the person on the list who is either the most famous scientist or has made the most significant scientific contribution. Yes, she is famous, but not for scientific contribution. I’ll admit that I do not recognise most of the names on that list but looking through it I’d go for Charles Babbage, Edmund Davy or Heinz Siegfried Wolff.

5 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

The BoE are looking for someone who has contributed to science. It takes a long stretch of the imagination to say that Margaret Thatcher is the person on the list who is either the most famous scientist or has made the most significant scientific contribution. Yes, she is famous, but not for scientific contribution. I’ll admit that I do not recognise most of the names on that list but looking through it I’d go for Charles Babbage, Edmund Davy or Heinz Siegfried Wolff.

she made the list so qualifies......

i didn't know heinz wolff had gone- top bloke.......RIP

Just now, woody2 said:

she made the list so qualifies......

Do you honestly feel that she is the most famous scientist on that list or that she is the person on that list who has made the greatest scientific contribution? She is definitely famous but that fame is not for scientific reasons, ask the average man on the street what her job was and they’ll say politician. If the BoE were looking at putting a famous politician or someone who had made the greatest political contribution I would say Thatcher had a chance.

6 minutes ago, woody2 said:

i didn't know heinz wolff had gone- top bloke.......RIP

He died last December. I used to love The Great Egg Race.

32 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

1-Do you honestly feel that she is the most famous scientist on that list or that she is the person on that list who has made the greatest scientific contribution? She is definitely famous but that fame is not for scientific reasons, ask the average man on the street what her job was and they’ll say politician. If the BoE were looking at putting a famous politician or someone who had made the greatest political contribution I would say Thatcher had a chance.

2-He died last December. I used to love The Great Egg Race.

1- she made the list so qualifies......

2- met him many times, not a person that liked crowds, always wanted to know how gear worked......

1 hour ago, woody2 said:

Yes, and no. It’s been passed by Parliament, royal assent given. But the operative section is not in force, and may never come into force. It needs an Appointed Day Order. Without that it sits on the shelf getting dusty, and has no effect in law, can’t be enforced by the courts, anywhere, and the 1972 Act isn’t repealed.

You’d be surprised how much zombie legislation there is. Passed but never brought into effect.

40 minutes ago, woody2 said:

1- she made the list so qualifies......

2- met him many times, not a person that liked crowds, always wanted to know how gear worked......

Surprised Maggie T and Dennis (Ashes) buried in the grounds of Royal Hospital Chelsea...I actually do know someone from my manor who did in reality make the journey and piss on her grave.....

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

Yes, and no. It’s been passed by Parliament, royal assent given. But the operative section is not in force, and may never come into force. It needs an Appointed Day Order. Without that it sits on the shelf getting dusty, and has no effect in law, can’t be enforced by the courts, anywhere, and the 1972 Act isn’t repealed.

You’d be surprised how much zombie legislation there is. Passed but never brought into effect.

it also governs what happens if parliament say no to mays deal......

exit day is set in both eu and uk law......

at the moment if parliament says no to the deal- may (or whoever is pm) could just sit back and watch the days tick past to exit.....

of course a millions other things could happen but not by a mp's motion which isn't legally binding on the gov.