So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

8 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Personally I think that trio dragged UK politics down to a new low.

Not just all the lies, although they were bad enough, and not just for playing the racist card, which I recall you fell for hook, line, sinker, rod and copy of Angling Times, but more it was obviously for self before constituents and country.

So their "cause" if you like wasn't anything to do with brexit. It was always about Farage, Gove and Johnson......

I don't think I "fell" for anything. My views are well known on here from way before Brexit came along. Nothing that any one (or 3) politician(s) said has changed them. Politicians speak down to the great unwashed in soundbites without depth and without taking cognisance of the long term effects of their actions, which is a great failing of our system, or perhaps of humanity in general. Sadly, the public are soon bored and have no appetite for the intricacies of what is going on around them. All is superficial and short term.

1 minute ago, woolley said:

I don't think I "fell" for anything. My views are well known on here from way before Brexit came along. Nothing that any one (or 3) politician(s) said has changed them. Politicians speak down to the great unwashed in soundbites without depth and without taking cognisance of the long term effects of their actions, which is a great failing of our system, or perhaps of humanity in general. Sadly, the public are soon bored and have no appetite for the intricacies of what is going on around them. All is superficial and short term.

You most certainly did fall for it.

I posted up the dreadful picture and you remarked on how they were male and should be defending their villages or some such.

Exactly as you were supposed to.

Agree about snippets and soundbites which is why I have always advocated that folks should read a decent newspaper  :)

58 minutes ago, woolley said:

Again. A similar stance to Sinn Fein (not) at Westminster? We don't accept your jurisdiction and so we don't respect your assembly?

I was going to say that I don't understand that either.  It seems perverse to stand for a position in Parliament and then refuse to take it up but I understand that this is a vast improvement on having ongoing conflict in Northern Ireland and the deaths that this brought.  I was aware that Sinn Fein refuse as they do not want to swear an oath of allegiance to the British Crown but as far as I know MEP's are not required to take a similar oath?

35 minutes ago, Freggyragh said:

In fairness, Farage’s behaviour is nothing like Sinn Féin’s. Sinn Féin don’t turn up in Westminster, demand to speak in a debate, ignore the topic and and then rant about Parliament and personally insult members of the executive for the sole purpose of generating clicks. Sinn Féin MPs, MLAs and MEPs only take ‘an average industrial wage’ and divide the rest between their constituencies and party funds - whereas Farage trousers the lot. 

Interesting as I had no idea that Sinn Fein did this.  It does really highlight a difference in attitudes between Sinn Fein and UKIP/Farage.

• Like 1

Here’s just one small problem - Great Britain can’t ditch its Human Rights Act, which stems from the European Convention on Human Rights which all EU members must have in law without either exiting the U.K., or establishing that Irish U.K. citizens have rights under the ECHR but GB citizens do not. 

Just now, P.K. said:

You most certainly did fall for it.

I posted up the dreadful picture and you remarked on how they were male and should be defending their villages or some such.

Exactly as you were supposed to.

Agree about snippets and soundbites which is why I have always advocated that folks should read a decent newspaper  :)

Anything I say on here or elsewhere I think about before I post, and I stand by it. I have a brain to process data and don't think or do anything because I am "supposed to". I can spot media manipulation a mile off.

If someone calls me out because I have something factually wrong, or I have upset somebody I consider that too and apologise if necessary. I don't go off half cocked (or half pissed?) and post a load of gibberish, only to delete it the following morning like some not too far away.

I agree that people should be well informed, but this is not at all concomitant with reading one slanted organ and taking it all in like a toilet for subsequent regurgitation online!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Freggyragh said:

Here’s just one small problem - Great Britain can’t ditch its Human Rights Act, which stems from the European Convention on Human Rights which all EU members must have in law without either exiting the U.K., or establishing that Irish U.K. citizens have rights under the ECHR but GB citizens do not. 

Why is that a problem? Membership of ECHR predated membership of EEC by 20 years. They are mutually exclusive. There is no proposal to leave ECHR that I am aware of. I think you are dreaming up imaginary difficulties here when there are quite enough real ones!

21 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

I was aware that Sinn Fein refuse as they do not want to swear an oath of allegiance to the British Crown but as far as I know MEP's are not required to take a similar oath?

Sinn Féin don’t recognise Westminster as their parliament, that’s why they abstain. They do now recognise Dáil Éireann, and their TDs take their seats and participate. They also participate in the European Parliament and the Northern Ireland Assembly. All elected Sinn Féin elected politicians stick to the ‘average industrial wage’ rule - which is why McGuiness and Adams were never flashy dressers, although I couldn’t tell you what that ‘average industrial wage’ is, and I’d guess that some of them also have other income streams. 

Edited by Freggyragh

5 minutes ago, woolley said:

Why is that a problem? Membership of ECHR predated membership of EEC by 20 years. They are mutually exclusive. There is no proposal to leave ECHR that I am aware of. I think you are dreaming up imaginary difficulties here when there are quite enough real ones!

The last Tory manifesto promised the U.K. would only keep the ECHR for the duration of the next parliament. Hard-right Brexiters are desperate to take away your ECHR human rights as well as your freedom of movement. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/18/britain-bound-european-human-rights-laws-least-another-five/amp/

• Like 1

Well, of course, nothing is guaranteed beyond a parliament because no parliament can bind its successors. For one thing I don't see it happening because although it does have some attractions in curbing the crazier excesses, it wouldn't ever secure a majority of MPs. For another, you don't have to be hard right to advocate Brexit, which obviously appeals right across the political spectrum from Rees Mogg to Corbyn. The final thing though, as I said before, it doesn't have a bearing on the current situation.

4 minutes ago, woolley said:

Well, of course, nothing is guaranteed beyond a parliament because no parliament can bind its successors. For one thing I don't see it happening because although it does have some attractions in curbing the crazier excesses, it wouldn't ever secure a majority of MPs. For another, you don't have to be hard right to advocate Brexit, which obviously appeals right across the political spectrum from Rees Mogg to Corbyn. The final thing though, as I said before, it doesn't have a bearing on the current situation.

1. Could you give me one example of these crazier excesses?

2. Post-Brexit Repeal of the legislation that covered the ECHR was Tory party policy at the last election. You say it wouldn’t ever secure a majority of MPs, despite it being the ruling party’s explicit policy to do so. Are you finding it hard to believe how extreme that party is? Do you find it even more frustrating that the main opposition is being mostly led by morons? If so, I’m with you. 

3. I’d say Human Rights has a lot to do with the impasse over the border issue. Imagine, if you will, a border effecting trade and free movement going up between Ayre and the rest of the Isle of Man - that would be principally a human rights issue. 

1 hour ago, woolley said:

Anything I say on here or elsewhere I think about before I post, and I stand by it. I have a brain to process data and don't think or do anything because I am "supposed to". I can spot media manipulation a mile off.

If someone calls me out because I have something factually wrong, or I have upset somebody I consider that too and apologise if necessary. I don't go off half cocked (or half pissed?) and post a load of gibberish, only to delete it the following morning like some not too far away.

I agree that people should be well informed, but this is not at all concomitant with reading one slanted organ and taking it all in like a toilet for subsequent regurgitation online!

The obvious solution is to read a newspaper that is not slanted to the owner's agenda. Not easy in the country that has the most right-wing press in Europe

As to gibberish that looks like the writer is pissed I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice that Woody2 has gone AWOL on your reappearance.

Quite a coincidence.....

• Haha 1