So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

One of the reason the charlatans had such a receptive audience was because of the gutter press' anti EU offerings for at least 20 years.

We have been fed a slow but constant drip feed of one-sided EU bashing stories. All Haw Haw and his mates did was to build on that misinformation and pretend that all recent ills (of which there are many) was some how linked to either to EU membership or immigration (which according to them was also entirely down to the EU.)

We also now have the huge power of social media. I purposefully follow characters I completely disagree with and it is illuminating how many suggestions to follow others who I would never normally consider following. It's quite clever, manipulative and a bit creepy but I bet it is really effective. If you follow a populist, you will get suggestions to follow other populists and they all have the same basic message. "The system is getting one over on you and this is the way to fight back and teach the controlling elite a lesson".)

Haw Haw knows nobody, no matter how interested in politics they may or may not be has the time or inclination to fact check everything. People have busy lives just getting by. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

We're currently giving the EU and the rest of the world all the evidence they need to put the UK where they want in the pecking order.

Yes. And God help us when they start to rub our noses in it if Article 50 is revoked! Talk about led by donkeys! Best opportunity for generations squandered to the wind.

19 hours ago, P.K. said:

Nothing wrong with safety in numbers and with a resurgent Russia, well....

Do me a favour, PK. What do you think Brussels will do if Russia marches into the Baltic member states? The EU is a paper tiger and Putin knows it. All they would do is squeal for big nasty Uncle Sam to come and rescue them with his army fed on poisonous chlorinated chicken.

The only thing worse than being unsafe is being unsafe while thinking you have protection in numbers.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Freggyragh said:

Wrong. The Treaty of Nice was rejected by the Irish in a referendum and the EU came back with an amendment saying that any European collective defence policy would need unanimous approval. The Lisbon Treaty was rejected by the Irish in a referendum so the EU allowed Ireland and the U.K. to opt out of Schengen and put in a clause about Irish involvement in collective defence requiring approval by the UN Security Council, Irish Government and Dáil Éireann. ‘Keep amending your treaties till you get it right’ is what the Irish electorate told the EU and the EU complied. The U.K. chose to leave such discussions to its politicians.

That is just the same. Come back with meaningless minor amendments until the voters "get it right", or just ignore the result altogether or put it through as an instrument not requiring a treaty that does the same thing. All the underhanded tricks in the book. Lisbon Treaty was a disgrace. But of course, it is just a benign free trade zone. What's not to love?

5 hours ago, RIchard Britten said:

Ahem...*cough*

(various images which I won't bloat quote).

Plenty of kernels of truth in those however amplified, but no worse than the lies told on the remain side and certainly nothing to approach the monumental lies about the nature of what we were joining in the first place. If you think that is all total fabrication and lies, and that becomes the consensus of public opinion, then pity our children.

Edited by woolley

3 hours ago, ballaughbiker said:

One of the reason the charlatans had such a receptive audience was because of the gutter press' anti EU offerings for at least 20 years.

We have been fed a slow but constant drip feed of one-sided EU bashing stories. All Haw Haw and his mates did was to build on that misinformation and pretend that all recent ills (of which there are many) was some how linked to either to EU membership or immigration (which according to them was also entirely down to the EU.)

We also now have the huge power of social media. I purposefully follow characters I completely disagree with and it is illuminating how many suggestions to follow others who I would never normally consider following. It's quite clever, manipulative and a bit creepy but I bet it is really effective. If you follow a populist, you will get suggestions to follow other populists and they all have the same basic message. "The system is getting one over on you and this is the way to fight back and teach the controlling elite a lesson".)

Haw Haw knows nobody, no matter how interested in politics they may or may not be has the time or inclination to fact check everything. People have busy lives just getting by. 

It is quite breathtaking that all of the intelligence is on the pro-EU side and all of the stupidity is on the anti-EU side. Does it EVER cross their minds that they might be misguided? I don't think it does.

30 minutes ago, woolley said:

It is quite breathtaking that all of the intelligence is on the pro-EU side and all of the stupidity is on the anti-EU side. Does it EVER cross their minds that they might be misguided? I don't think it does.

Oh I have missed the "everyone else is blind but me" smugism you used to bring to the table...

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

It's just differing opinions. Now woody isn't inflaming things from one side the remoan crew maybe need to tone things down a bit too. I'd imagine they'd have been insufferable had they won, they are bad enough now.

I think they pretty much have bar the shouting, haven't they, Stinky? They've ceded the negotiating position they could have taken. They've all but ruled out no deal and May, for all her tenacity, reminds me of Gorbachev when he was poncing around as president of the Soviet Union while Yeltsin and the Russian parliament were busy abolishing it. All we are waiting for now is for the Europhile Westminster parliament to pick the ideal moment to win the second referendum - their strategy from the start. That's the real reason they don't like the deal. Nothing to do with backstops, Irish or otherwise.

1 hour ago, woolley said:

Do me a favour, PK. What do you think Brussels will do if Russia marches into the Baltic member states? The EU is a paper tiger and Putin knows it. All they would do is squeal for big nasty Uncle Sam to come and rescue them with his army fed on poisonous chlorinated chicken.

The only thing worse than being unsafe is being unsafe while thinking you have protection in numbers.

Would the European nations be any safer from Russia outside the EU?  No.   

And as I am sure you are well aware the EU is a political and economic union not a military one.  The defence of EU members against any Russian aggression would be in the hands NATO or the individual countries.

1 hour ago, woolley said:

What a shame I missed all of these #freggyfacts. (When the forum did this to me he suggested I was losing the plot.)

I had flash backs of woody2 there woolley! 

• Haha 1