So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

The EU creating a "level playing field" re workers rights means pulling everyone up to the France / German level.

There was a brexit supporting hospital doctor on the wireless the other day getting very cross about the EU because he wanted to work longer hours than the "brussels bully boys" had specified..

No, s'true.....!   

This is getting madder by the day. 

1 hour ago, ballaughbiker said:

There was a brexit supporting hospital doctor on the wireless the other day getting very cross about the EU because he wanted to work longer hours than the "brussels bully boys" had specified..

No, s'true.....!   

Many years ago maybe 15 years or so I was refused work at a Douglas medical practice on the basis that I was working over 48 hours a week which was against an working time EU directive and against my human rights because that was an EU directive also. Nothing would budge their stance. Of course at that time the 48 hours directive did not extend to the IOM and human rights had nothing to do with it in this context.

• Haha 1

Maybe the EU directive didn’t extend to the IOM then, but the NHS did. The 48 hour week and 40% bonus for overtime up to 56 hours was an absolute blessing for junior doctors when it came in in 2001. Prior to 1990 they had averaged 90+ hours a week. Yes, 90+ hours a week. Many middle-aged doctors who trained in Britain will have awful memories of 90 hour weeks in one of the most stressful jobs there is. That’s probably why the doctors who would have employed you were so keen to have all contracts compliant - even in the IOM. 

2 minutes ago, Freggyragh said:

Maybe the EU directive didn’t extend to the IOM then, but the NHS did. The 48 hour week and 40% bonus for overtime up to 56 hours was an absolute blessing for junior doctors when it came in in 2001. Prior to 1990 they had averaged 90+ hours a week. Yes, 90+ hours a week. Many middle-aged doctors who trained in Britain will have awful memories of 90 hour weeks in one of the most stressful jobs there is. That’s probably why the doctors who would have employed you were so keen to have all contracts compliant - even in the IOM. 

My job was two to be hours a day cleaning in a GP practice..Employed by the practice not the NHS...I was already doing 48 hours a week elsewhere...I asked Manx Industrial relations and they said it was nonsense I could work all I want on the IOM and human rights was nothing to do with it.

10 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

The Isle of Man will be entitled to call upon the UK to supply troops to help out with any Brexit issues now won't it? Imperial contribution and all that?…(Or whatever they call it now)

The government is only putting 3,500 troops on standby for the whole U.K.? They had ten times that trying to maintain control of West Belfast, Sough Armagh, South Down, Derry, Fermanagh and Tyrone. Can’t be expecting much trouble, if any. Or was David Davis put in charge of planning? 

6 minutes ago, Freggyragh said:

Maybe there was another reason?

No. The practice secretary was adamant. I asked around and others said that she was known for being basically "useless"...The EU directive she said applied to the IOM and I was forbidden to do over 48 hours a week due to "human rights" into the bargain...During my time there I came across many equally stupid misconceptions about the IOM/EU...Oh, and the Advocate who wanted to drag me in front of the Law Society for a disciplinary procedure when I was a humble cleaner, no lawyer and not a member. 

1 minute ago, Freggyragh said:

The government is only putting 3,500 troops on standby for the whole U.K.? They had ten times that trying to maintain control of West Belfast, Sough Armagh, South Down, Derry, Fermanagh and Tyrone. Can’t be expecting much trouble, if any. Or was David Davis put in charge of planning? 

Not trouble. Logisticians like during the foot and mouth issue...The Army Reserve last I looked had truckers and train drivers and track layers even TFL drivers on its part time pay roll...I was in it once as a Movement Controller (T&AVR).

I recall during one of the Gulf Wars a fellow from Safeways, Chester. Street. Douglas being mobilised for basically doing in Southampton for the army what he did in Safeway..(Stores/forklift etc)..I post a link to the Logistic Corps. They have a lot of trades and talents)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Logistic_Corps

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Freggyragh said:

How did not become a lawyer Barrie? Surely it would have suited you?

Well I was a shipbroker years ago hence being in the RCT Movement Control (T&AVR) now Royal Logistics Corps and in those days you could not say "Not in my pay grade"...You had to get on with it dealing long distance with the sea globally...And play for time!..

We were the front line trench trip wires for disputes before handing it to the real lawyers although we had to attend lectures in the City of London Poly for law etc...

I did pass by exemption something called Intermediate Laws whatever that was!...Long time ago.

My old Guv Nikolaos D Papalios was the subject of a feature in I think the October edition of Ships Monthly magazine...Shipbrokers are just expected to get on with it.

Maybe JW knows what was Intermediate Laws. I would say about A Level law??

3 hours ago, ballaughbiker said:

No, s'true.....!   

Must be a "Leave" voter with on trend brexit lies i.e. I smell BS in the air:

Opting out of the 48 hour week

You can choose to work more than 48 hours a week on average if you’re over 18. This is called ‘opting out’.

Your employer can ask you to opt out, but you can’t be sacked or treated unfairly for refusing to do so.

You can opt out for a certain period or indefinitely. It must be voluntary and in writing.

Example of opt-out agreement:

I [worker’s name] agree that I may work for more than an average of 48 hours a week. If I change my mind, I will give my employer [amount of time - up to 3 months’] notice in writing to end this agreement. Signed…………………………………… Dated…………………………………….

https://www.gov.uk/maximum-weekly-working-hours/weekly-maximum-working-hours-and-opting-out