So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

8 minutes ago, pongo said:

If the UK imposes tariffs on food imports from the EU then, under WTO rules, it would also have to impose tariffs on similar imports from outside of the EU.

But imposing tariffs would be politically stupid. The consumer does not want higher prices. In which case the cost of non EU imports can potentially be a downward pressure on prices.

The missing links would be:

1. Exchange rates. 

2. Whether leaving the EU increases transport costs. Much of what is imported into the UK comes via EU container ports. That is not going to change but the pricing could. Especially as the use of rail continues to increase.

The missing link is no joined up thinking.

Cheaper imports of foodstuffs, of dubious provenance I grant you, would put the squeeze on UK agriculture.

18 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Cheaper imports of foodstuffs, of dubious provenance I grant you, would put the squeeze on UK agriculture.

What kind of thing? Britain is not going to be changing its food regulations. US Frankenstein food still won't be allowed in.

I'm not in favour of the unnecessary turbulence which leaving the EU has pointlessly created. But we shouldn't pretend that many things won't just carry on the same. Exchange rates and the possible introduction of tariffs would be the biggest issue. And, longer term, sterling being too high could well be the problem again. Like in the 80s when so much of British industry was wiped out.

I doubt that any government would be stupid enough to impose tariffs. Increasing the cost of tomatoes and BMWs would be a Brexit own goal.

Edited by pongo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pongo said:

If the UK imposes tariffs on food imports from the EU then, under WTO rules, it would also have to impose tariffs on similar imports from outside of the EU.

But imposing tariffs would be politically stupid. The consumer does not want higher prices. In which case the cost of non EU imports can potentially be a downward pressure on prices.

The missing links would be:

1. Exchange rates. 

2. Whether leaving the EU increases transport costs. Much of what is imported into the UK comes via EU container ports. That is not going to change but the pricing could. Especially as the use of rail continues to increase.

the minimum prices set by the eu push up prices......

goods passing through eu ports to the uk wouldn't get eu tariffs/duty applied........

massive cash bonus for the uk.......  

1 hour ago, Barrie Stevens said:

Once again it is a question of foodstuffs packed, labelled and prepared coming in not from the EU...which is not a food supply entity as such....but from the producers in EU member states some of whom import globally and then forward on raw or processed. The UK does a vast amount of this also..There are some bulk foods from EU producers ie rice for one...However, the issue is not sourcing but processing and transporting..Hence the Customs Union and Single Market concerns....Hence the UK Govt booking freight on ferries...Bulk foods we can source anywhere ie cereals, meat, fruit...It is the processed market that faces troubles...We survived merchant ships being sunk by the thousands in both world wars but in those days we bought raw foods and processed them ourselves often at home so we all got our ration. Now we expect everything to be done for us and a lot of that is done over on the Continent...Then there is the issue of produce from Spain...Trade will continue but the procedure may become irksome or not as we shall have to wait and see.

the uk is self sufficient in meat and veg.......

imports of fruit are already coming from outside the eu......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pongo said:

What kind of thing? Britain is not going to be changing its food regulations. US Frankenstein food still won't be allowed in.

I'm not in favour of the unnecessary turbulence which leaving the EU has pointlessly created. But we shouldn't pretend that many things won't just carry on the same. Exchange rates and the possible introduction of tariffs would be the biggest issue. And, longer term, sterling being too high could well be the problem again. Like in the 80s when so much of British industry was wiped out.

I doubt that any government would be stupid enough to impose tariffs. Increasing the cost of tomatoes and BMWs would be a Brexit own goal.

can i just say before the eu-usa talks broke down the eu approved the import of this "Frankenstein food" as you call it....... 

3 hours ago, pongo said:

Errrr excuse me but this government was stupid enough to have a referendum on EU membership.

Plus I can't see any reason why the UK can't change their regulations to import whatever crap food they like as long as exports to the EU remain regulated as now.

Unless there's something in the deal that says otherwise....?

41 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Errrr excuse me but this government was stupid enough to have a referendum on EU membership.

Plus I can't see any reason why the UK can't change their regulations to import whatever crap food they like as long as exports to the EU remain regulated as now.

Unless there's something in the deal that says otherwise....?

uk doesn't have a deal on the table.......

Dm9l06XXcAAurWa.jpg.c46fb09a029206ccfbcca979b15d2137.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, woody2 said:

Dm9l06XXcAAurWa.jpg.c46fb09a029206ccfbcca979b15d2137.jpg

Heath was right. The fear of a loss independence or sovereignty is completely unjustified. A total red herring. British people will typically feel no more or less independent or sovereign post Brexit.

In practice and for normal people these are also utterly subjective concepts a million miles removed from the reality of their own lives. What they will find they actually care about is prices and jobs. We currently enjoy record low unemployment. The employable are employed.