So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

20 minutes ago, woolley said:

I understand very well, PK. You didn't say "since 1997" when you brought the subject up. You said merely "record levels", which means, er, "record levels". You only moved the goalposts when other posters jumped on you. You were losing 3-0 after 70 minutes and so you conveniently decided that we should only count the final 20 minutes. As usual.

It's not "Brexit bollox". It isn't even anything remotely to do with Brexit is it? It was just a straightforward lefty liberal lie lifted from the Guardian or the BBC. I heard all about poverty in the depression of the 1930s from my elders back in the day, and I studied the Poor Laws and the workhouse regime, so don't tell me there are record levels of poverty now. It simply is not true. It's a lie.

Keep ducking and diving.

It's what you do best!

Happy New Year Woolster. :)

And now a word from one who is legally defined as being "in Poverty"...

Poverty today is relative poverty. No one can compare it to the past although the Workhouses and Means Tests and personal visits by Relieving Officers survive in a modern form with much of the burden being taken up by Housing Associations who replaced Council Housing.

One can say that poverty today is a minimum income line defined by law which may vary according to age and circumstances. There is a grey area however of Benefit Fraud but I would say today's poverty is people genuinely relying solely upon benefits with and or without the need to have a part time job or occupation even if only unpaid and voluntary. They may be on Benefits for a long or short time but it is the very minimum and one has to be careful.

I received or was offered at the age of 60 what would have been my State Pension at 65 plus top ups to put me on the Poverty Line..or as the DWP says every year in writing: "The minimum sum the law says you must have to live on". Even so the law says that to get in my case pensions plus top ups such as Guarantee Credit and Savings Credit I can retain no more than £10,000 which I doubt many people in the 1920s-30s would have had.

Peculiarly one can retain £16,000 and still get full Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit. (Last I looked)..Most people make sure that have a legit reason for dumping anything over these sums. They do check on you but some older ones buy funeral plans, beds, chairs and pay off debts etc to keep below the line.

I am no longer obliged to work and as a result my Poverty is nothing like that of working age people with decades yet to live. They often do struggle and are hounded. These I define as the "Poor" as the Benefits to the working age group are never generous so as to discourage living on Benefits for ever hence Universal Credit....Which is itself failing and people not even getting their meagre Benefits on time and being in arrears with everything....So they are then in Poverty as defined today.

Then there is fuel poverty....

Some people of working age are required to do a minimum of work per week and get top up Benefits. This is akin to paupers in the Workhouse working for their keep. I believe that Universal Credit if it ever works enables people to work and claim Benefits flexibly unlike at present where if you work at all everything hits the buffers.

Now after years of low wages and 22 years living out of a bag or two I fell on my feet in the modern Workhouse. Sheltered accommodation originally built for old folks but now used for those over 55 "in Poverty". Without it I would have nowhere to live and thus be in real Poverty. It is all relative.

I am classed as living on the minimum for my age ie the Means Tested Poverty Line for my age and situation and yet I pick up £16,000 a year in Benefits, pensions and awards. £140 free electric from E.ON..Free NHS Dental etc..Bus Pass..However this is "buttons" down on my manor and one has to be careful. Cooking rather than buying processed food helps a great deal. However, £16,000 a year untaxed and unearned is still not a lot. I have given up long since going to the "local" Cannot afford that at pushing £5 a pint!

Three or four years ago an EU inspired scheme installed for me a fitted kitchen which I had the choice of designing by CAD and a man to help, ditto a wet room, new central heating, double glazing, parquet floors. It was all of a rush as they said we were probably leaving the EU so we have to get the money in now! Oh and then there is the personal alarm system.

And the Relieving Officer? Yes now and again I get a visit "To see if I am getting the right Benefits" (Another way of seeing if you are cheating as it is all Means Tested). 

I do have a top up mobile phone costing £15 from Tesco. I share WIFI with a neighbour £15 a month to check on my lucrative Benefits. I do not have a TV but retain a £7.50 concession licence which I am told is now "protected" meaning when I am gone or move it will be phased out.

New residents do not get this concession anymore.

I pay £15 a week contribution for a studio flat in a leafy area...And I feel that I deserve it all things considered what with Thatcher and unemployment and wandering about for 22 years with no front door of my own doing all the scummy jobs on the IOM! Really filthy jobs like reporting on crooked Advocates up to no good.

Bizarre or what? I am away from the UK for years and yet I get all of the above...And yet legally I am "in Poverty"...

It is the working poor on forced down minimum wages and Zero Hour Contracts who are in Poverty today and those of working age on the Benefits margin. They do struggle to get by and often do not qualify for Benefits of any description....They have to keep going...They struggle.

The beggars? Some of the best entrepreneurs we have! Should be on "The Apprentice" some of them. Down on my manor they all seem rather clean and well fed???

2 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

Sarcasm is the cheapest form of wit. Maybe you are in "Wit poverty"?....

Dear me. It's the "lowest" form of wit.

As it's very obvious, as in all found, and as a singleton that you're not exactly on your uppers, as opposed to well-heeled, I fail to see what point you're making.

Apart from you're very fortunate...

2 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Dear me. It's the "lowest" form of wit.

As it's very obvious, as in all found, and as a singleton that you're not exactly on your uppers, as opposed to well-heeled, I fail to see what point you're making.

Apart from you're very fortunate...

There are or have been other sayings using the "cheapest"..It was current in the 1960s in films and drama but not associated with Oscar Wilde.

One can always invent a well known phrase or saying. Hey! Even Oscar Wilde would have been proud of that!

Actually I rather thought that my comments were supportive of both you and that Woolley man? I will write a lot slower next time might help you to understand..(Cheap shot eh?)….

In the meantime "Play the White Man!"

He's just being smug, PK. He deserves it after holding virtually every exalted position on the planet and yet being forced to exist on the IOM in squalor, while scrubbing every square inch of it on his hands and knees. He probably wonders why on Earth he didn't get the hell out back to Blighty much sooner. Bazza, have you written your memoirs? You really should. I'd read it.

He's right about poverty being relative though. All of this nonsense about "record levels of poverty" that you espouse is to hoodwink the young and the stupid into subscribing to a certain type of politics. Which are you?

Speaking of subscribing, I thought I'd offer your mentor a little publicity: (help us deliver the independent journalism the world needs for 2019 and beyond) Talk about self-delusion!! They think the world NEEDS them. :D

As 2018 draws to a close….

… we’re asking readers to make an end of year or ongoing contribution in support of The Guardian’s independent journalism.

Three years ago we set out to make The Guardian sustainable by deepening our relationship with our readers. The same technologies that connected us with a global audience had also shifted advertising revenues away from news publishers. We decided to seek an approach that would allow us to keep our journalism open and accessible to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford.

More than one million readers have now supported our independent, investigative journalism through contributions, membership or subscriptions, which has played such an important part in helping The Guardian overcome a perilous financial situation globally. We want to thank you for all of your support. But we have to maintain and build on that support for every year to come.

Sustained support from our readers enables us to continue pursuing difficult stories in challenging times of political upheaval, when factual reporting has never been more critical. The Guardian is editorially independent – our journalism is free from commercial bias and not influenced by billionaire owners, politicians or shareholders. No one edits our editor. No one steers our opinion. This is important because it enables us to give a voice to those less heard, challenge the powerful and hold them to account. Readers’ support means we can continue bringing The Guardian’s independent journalism to the world.

Please make an end of year contribution today to help us deliver the independent journalism the world needs for 2019 and beyond. Support The Guardian from as little as £1 – and it only takes a minute. Thank you.

• Like 1

Woolley I will deal with the Guardian first. I don't pay them but the idea is that you do not have to pay to access stories such as the "Premium" Daily Telegraph and others.

Most of these papers struggle now and as I suppose the Guardian is I believe a trust they can ask for "subs"...

So far the on-line Guardian is like the NHS free at the point of use. There is no paywall but what with the state of the market without donations their style would not survive.

I have an original Guardian from 1849 and just about every story in it mirrors today's news. I did a Manx Radio show about it with R Watterson years ago and together with other Manchester papers of that year produced an academic piece "Manchester the Curse of England" which you can trace on some of the legal deposit libraries if you can be bothered. "Curse" because it was so successful it was bankrupting other countries through free trade...Manchester was nicknamed "The Curse" at one time in its heyday.