So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

1 hour ago, woody2 said:

now we have all been told trouble will only happen if the uk leaves without an agreement..........

yet it will be a wild flower meadow on a sunny summer sunday if anything else happens......

:whistling:

I think we've also been told that having a second referendum will be a betrayal of democracy that will cause a permanent break down of trust in politicians. 

And there's the implied threat of civil unrest from EDL types. 

Edited by Declan

19 minutes ago, Declan said:

I think we've also been told that having a second referendum will be a betrayal of democracy that will cause a permanent break down of trust in politicians. 

Haha, a permanent break down of trust in politicians, I think that ship sailed a long time ago.

I don’t believe anyone truly thought that the situation we currently have would be the outcome when they voted, but the vote was to leave and that should be honoured. I can see no merit in a second referendum.

Given that Parliament appears deadlocked on the matter can anyone explain why it should not be given back to the public to make a final choice now that the options are clear?  

I can understand Parliament alone making a decision to remain being seen as undemocratic but how is asking for the public to have a final say?

2 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

I need to try and find the details, however, I believe that there is a growing view that the legislation passed only empowered the PM to give notice that the UK intended to withdraw from the EU but stopped short (because it was badly written) of actually giving the Government and the PM the power to withdraw from the EU.

There is another option through which Parliament could by pass the legislation and Government and that is via the "humble address" process - effectively going directly to the Queen.  That may be the option to force through a second referendum.

then why did corbyn ask last night for it to be removed......

its already past into law........

now bercow has thrown away the rulebook anything could happen.....

1 hour ago, manxman1980 said:

Any figure I give you would be a total guess because as you say no one really knows the reasons why individuals voted for brexit and what they imagined it would look like.  I do not even remember (I stand to be corrected) a no-deal exit having been discussed in the lead up to the referendum.  I recall the rhetoric being that the EU would want a deal that would be beneficial to the UK because reasons. 

try 52% of the voting public......

1 hour ago, Declan said:

they saidthe far right..... they didn't say the army would be on standby except for no deal......police said the same.....

1 hour ago, mojomonkey said:

Haha, a permanent break down of trust in politicians, I think that ship sailed a long time ago.

I don’t believe anyone truly thought that the situation we currently have would be the outcome when they voted, but the vote was to leave and that should be honoured. I can see no merit in a second referendum.

i did......said it many times on here.........

8 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Given that Parliament appears deadlocked on the matter can anyone explain why it should not be given back to the public to make a final choice now that the options are clear?  

I can understand Parliament alone making a decision to remain being seen as undemocratic but how is asking for the public to have a final say?

because parliament would still have to back it and pass it.......

it would take 11 months+......

and regardless of the outcome they would want another one.......

no change in voters minds according to the prof.......