So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

20 hours ago, pongo said:

We should not be listening to the sort of people who hint darkly at trouble. Frankly, it should never have been allowed to get to this.

This post is a prime example of the elitist's mindset. Ignore them and they'll go away.

Not.

• Like 1

Just now, P.K. said:

?

How about finding positive brexit projections?

Other than those by bug-eyed ERG brexit loon Patrick Minford....

Because they are all speculation. How many "projections" have you pored over? You spend too much time ruminating over the wild guesses made by others.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woolley said:

It's still speculation. The political energy expended now may have saved much deeper turmoil further down the road. The future is always speculation. There is no such thing as an "informed commentator" when the subject matter is "the future".

No.

We agreed earlier in this topic that under all scenarios there would be a detrimental effect on the economy and its growth.  That's a dictinary definiton of a loss.

Furthermore, it is a fact that the last two years has been a wasted opportunity to address other issues ex Brexit.  That is  clear opportunity cost.

We agree that in a hundred years time it probably won't make a blind bit of diference, but for the next generation there is a significant cost to this course of action.

We are all losers.

I don't believe I have ever agreed that we are all losers. There is no way to tell such a thing so far into the future. I might have said "whatever the cost it will be worth it to be free of the EU and its future machinations", or something along those lines. I know for a fact I have said here that "they" don't know what will happen this year, let alone in 2030. They certainly didn't see the humongous financial collapse of 2008 coming, so how are we to take these prophets of doom seriously now in anything they say?

11 minutes ago, woolley said:

I don't believe I have ever agreed that we are all losers. There is no way to tell such a thing so far into the future. I might have said "whatever the cost it will be worth it to be free of the EU and its future machinations", or something along those lines. I know for a fact I have said here that "they" don't know what will happen this year, let alone in 2030. They certainly didn't see the humongous financial collapse of 2008 coming, so how are we to take these prophets of doom seriously now in anything they say?

You've agreed with me previosly in this topic (or perhaps it was the UK General Election one) that there will be a prolonged period of lower growth in the UK economy as a consequece of Brexit ("a couple of decades" I believe is the phrase you used).

We will lose this additional economic growth.

It won't be constrained to a particular part of the UK based on the way they voted.  We will all lose.

@ Bobbie Bobster (the inevitable PK jumped in before I could post).

I defer to your memory of our exchange on the matter, but I struggle now to see how we arrived at such certain consensus on a hypothetical. We must have been truly on form that day. :)

Edited by woolley
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, woolley said:

I defer to your memory of our exchange on the matter, but I struggle now to see how we arrived at such certain consensus on a hypothetical. We must have been truly on form that day. :)

Well, lots of the Brexit Bullshit does tend to evaporate when challenged.  Still, at least we'll have plenty of chlorinated chicken to keep us going!:lol:

Edited by Bobbie Bobster

14 minutes ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

Well, lots of the Brexit Bullshit does tend to evaporate when challenged.  Still, at least we'll have plenty of chlorinated chicken to keep us going!:lol:

The EU has had its share of food hygiene scares over the years. Not in a position to be sniffy.

7 minutes ago, woolley said:

The EU has had its share of food hygiene scares over the years. Not in a position to be sniffy.

Ah yes, the time-honoured and sleazy "race to the bottom" argument.

Food provenance is important to folks like us. We don't want to eat GM crops or meat full of growth hormones. Of course, when I posted up how the UK MEP contingent could be outvoted (well, they were pretty much always missing one N Farage) you immediately played the "sovereignty" card but omitted the bit about how the vast majority of the legislation was about things like food standards and nothing that would impinge on the "sovereignty" of the UK. Plus any trade deals we strike with other nations will have similar regulations requiring legislation - just like right now with the EU.

As for this "You spend too much time ruminating over the wild guesses made by others" here is a wild guess by yours truly. The bug-eyed brexit loons like the ERG will be desperate to generate a "brexit dividend" that they can trumpet to the heavens to justify their lies. So on exit they will strike deals for the cheapest crap food they can find - because it's cheap will be the main driver and fuck-all else. Not so clever really.

I can still recall during the BSE scare John Selwyn Gummer setting up a PR stunt where he tried (and failed!) to get his daughter to eat a burger with him to "prove" there was nothing wrong with British beef! Needless to say the UK right wing press, which is to say pretty much all of it, lapped it up. The net result was that some 200 UK citizens died of CJD.

Personally I'm happier with the EU controlling food standards and provenance than lying, self-serving UK politicians. 

Unfortunately it will be one of the things we will all lose....