So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

11 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

Which, I would hazard a guess, is behind the thoughts of the likes of Radcliffe, Dyson and others. The short term inconvenience of Brexit is something that can ne negotiated and overcome if you have a strong enough product (s), business model and a pro-business government.

The thirsty hands of a communist regime is something that nothing and no-one will be able to evade.

Or greed...which is more likely.

Just now, RIchard Britten said:

"Che Guevara T-shirt"...lazy.  D-

Expecting HNWI to pay their dues is not communism.

I quite agree but if the structure of the tax system doesn't ask for it you don't expect people to voluntarily pay more than they are legally obliged to do so do you?

McDonald and Corbyn have enough soundbites between them to be able to form a judgement that they're not going to be too accommodating when it comes to renegotiating reasonable increases to the tax system, if they come to power. 

It's still unlikely they'll get in but while there is a chance it's prudent for people of wealth to make alternate provisions. Most sane people would do the same. 

1 minute ago, Lxxx said:

I quite agree but if the structure of the tax system doesn't ask for it you don't expect people to voluntarily pay more than they are legally obliged to do so do you?

McDonald and Corbyn have enough soundbites between them to be able to form a judgement that they're not going to be too accommodating when it comes to renegotiating reasonable increases to the tax system, if they come to power. 

It's still unlikely they'll get in but while there is a chance it's prudent for people of wealth to make alternate provisions. Most sane people would do the same. 

When HNWI are the ones essentially writing the tax laws, are you surprised that the system doesn't ask them to pay their fair share?

2 hours ago, woolley said:

It will truly break your heart if the future is bright. This is what membership of the EU in your lifetime has done to your view of your country. So jaundiced that you are cheering on its competitors at every turn. Sadly there's a lot of it about.

Like everyone else I want the most successful brexit possible. Especially for my kids.

Equally I want a successful EU as they provide 30% of the food we eat.

Unfortunately we have the worst Government I have ever known and the worst Opposition I have ever known at exactly the wrong time.

Just think if Nick Turncoat Cleggy had gone into a coalition with Labour, who are much nearer liberal values than the tories will ever be, none of this would have happened.

Just something else I can blame him for....

8 minutes ago, RIchard Britten said:

When HNWI are the ones essentially writing the tax laws, are you surprised that the system doesn't ask them to pay their fair share?

This isn't what I am saying. I do think HNWI and their corporations should pay more of a fair share, however the rhetoric of a Corbyn government gives the potential of a dramatic shift way past a 'fair share.' This is what I would imagine is making people nervous.  

Just now, Lxxx said:

This isn't what I am saying. I do think HNWI and their corporations should pay more of a fair share, however the rhetoric of a Corbyn government gives the potential of a dramatic shift way past a 'fair share.' This is what I would imagine is making people nervous.  

By people, you mean the HNWI who go out of their way to avoid paying their "fair" share?

1 minute ago, RIchard Britten said:

By people, you mean the HNWI who go out of their way to avoid paying their "fair" share?

The same people who are responsible for corporations who funnel billions of pounds into public coffers each year in corporation tax, VAT, employee PAYE, national insurance, dividend receipt tax etc etc… and a whole supply chain of small, medium and large businesses who service large corporations. Not to mention the products they sell and everything associated with retail of said products.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

The same people who are responsible for corporations who funnel billions of pounds into public coffers each year in corporation tax, VAT, employee PAYE, national insurance, dividend receipt tax etc etc… and a whole supply chain of small, medium and large businesses who service large corporations. Not to mention the products they sell and everything associated with retail of said products.

But what about the billions of pounds they aren't funnelling into public coffers, but into offshores to make sure the Taxman can't get at it?

5 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Honda now ready to announce closure of Swindon plant with loss of 3.5k jobs (Sky News now). Announcement tomorrow.

Would that be the Swindon that voted to Leave (54.7%)?

Sky News:

https://news.sky.com/story/honda-to-stun-ministers-with-closure-of-swindon-factory-11641154

Edited by RIchard Britten

6 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Honda now ready to announce closure of Swindon plant with loss of 3.5k jobs (Sky News now). Announcement tomorrow.

If true (looks like it is) that is very sad news. The impact will be greater than 3500 jobs as the associated business will all be hit as well.

6 minutes ago, RIchard Britten said:

But what about the billions of pounds they aren't funnelling into public coffers, but into offshores to make sure the Taxman can't get at it?

You really are the master of circular arguments that never seem to go anywhere. You'll mature one day.

• Haha 1