So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

37 minutes ago, woody2 said:

no it didn't.......

Yes, it did:

"Who decided to launch negotiations for a trade agreement with Japan?

In 2013 the EU's 28 Member States decided unanimously that the EU should open negotiations with Japan for a trade agreement.

They decided to do so after an study published in 2012 showed that it would be in the EU's economic interest to do so.

The governments of the EU's Member States instructed the European Commission to negotiate on behalf of the EU and gave it a mandate – a series of guidelines – setting out what they wanted it to achieve"

Source: http://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/in-focus/eu-japan-economic-partnership-agreement/agreement-explained/#negotiations

As a consolation they'll be able to get blue passports...

Last year, the senior vice-president of Honda Europe warned that if the UK left the EU without a deal, it would cost his company tens of millions of pounds.

Ian Howells told the BBC that quitting the bloc without an agreement would affect the carmaker's competitiveness in Europe.

34 minutes ago, woolley said:

No. Because you retrench production back to your home base to keep the home fires burning and wait for better times. You don't shut up shop at home and carry on manufacturing on the other side of the world. Lots of the basic components are made in Japan anyway. This is the folly of selling out your industrial base to foreigners. Viva globalisation!

And having severed much of our ties with our nearest economic trading bloc, thrown up tariff barriers and watched the exit of many of our "foreign-owned industrial bases", what "home fires" are we going to be left with?

Burning braziers in 45 gallon oil drums outside closed factory gates and dole queues. Because Britain doesn't have much of a home grown manufacturing industry any more.

But never mind, we can go back to making Austin 7s and moulding things out of cast-iron. I'm sure there's a WTO market for them somewhere.

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, woody2 said:

yes you do......

but its not happening......

the eu is in decline, uk is ahead of france germany, italy and japan in the latest figures.......

the places doing better don't have any deal with the eu........

I cannot emphasise this enough...  I want a post Brexit United Kingdom to be successful because if it is not then the population will suffer whether that be through more austerity measures, or a full blown recession or even the loss of rights.

What good would gloating do me or anyone else then?  

To emphasise my point I am currently working on securing some inward foreign investment in UK manufacturing (post-brexit) which will create new jobs in the north west.  If I was trying to scupper brexit and gloat why the hell would I be doing that?

19 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Burning braziers in 45 gallon oil drums outside closed factory gates and dole queues. Because Britain doesn't have much of a home grown manufacturing industry any more.

But never mind, we can go back to making Austin 7s and moulding things out of cast-iron. I'm sure there's a WTO market for them somewhere.

Which doesn't really tally with massive inward investment and record employment. Britain is a hugely innovative technology economy.  The problem we have is being too ready to hive it off to foreign buyers. Of course British investors are among the largest investors abroad too. They don't mind taking advantage of cheap labour. Viva globalisation!

Edited by woolley
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mojomonkey said:

So do you reckon Nissan and Toyota will be leaving as well then?

The EU – Japan trade agreement commenced in 2013 and the UK voted in favour of it.

45 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

Yes, it did:

"Who decided to launch negotiations for a trade agreement with Japan?

In 2013 the EU's 28 Member States decided unanimously that the EU should open negotiations with Japan for a trade agreement.

They decided to do so after an study published in 2012 showed that it would be in the EU's economic interest to do so.

The governments of the EU's Member States instructed the European Commission to negotiate on behalf of the EU and gave it a mandate – a series of guidelines – setting out what they wanted it to achieve"

Source: http://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/in-focus/eu-japan-economic-partnership-agreement/agreement-explained/#negotiations

that's not what you said......

38 minutes ago, woolley said:

with transition periods of up to 7 years before customs duties are eliminated.

but doesn't have a start date over the (minimum) 15 year transition..........

34 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

And having severed much of our ties with our nearest economic trading bloc, thrown up tariff barriers and watched the exit of many of our "foreign-owned industrial bases", what "home fires" are we going to be left with?

joining the eu destroyed uk manufacturing........

17 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

I cannot emphasise this enough...  I want a post Brexit United Kingdom to be successful because if it is not then the population will suffer whether that be through more austerity measures, or a full blown recession or even the loss of rights.

What good would gloating do me or anyone else then?  

To emphasise my point I am currently working on securing some inward foreign investment in UK manufacturing (post-brexit) which will create new jobs in the north west.  If I was trying to scupper brexit and gloat why the hell would I be doing that?

uk hasn't had any austerity, it continues to spend more than it receives......

the eu looks like its heading for its third crash in 10 years...... the uk need to be as far away as possible.......  

3 minutes ago, woody2 said:

joining the eu destroyed uk manufacturing........

The militancy of the 1970s, mismanagement and Margaret Thatcher destroyed UK manufacturing.

Access to EU markets and EU incentives has rebuilt what manufacturing industry the UK now has over the last 30 years. Albeit most of it foreign owned and invested in. Now we're doing a great job of getting rid of it.

UK "record low employment" is down to service industries, zero hours contracts and the gig economy. Lets see if it can absorb what Brexit is inflicting on the UK economy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

The militancy of the 1970s, mismanagement and Margaret Thatcher destroyed UK manufacturing.

Access to EU markets and EU incentives has rebuilt what manufacturing industry the UK now has over the last 30 years. Albeit most of it foreign owned and invested in. Now we're doing a great job of getting rid of it.

UK "record low employment" is down to service industries, zero hours contracts and the gig economy. Lets see if it can absorb what Brexit is inflicting on the UK economy.

rubbish.......

8 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

Not my fault your comprehension skills are so limited.

it didn't commenced in 2013......

The EU – Japan trade agreement commenced in 2013

they have only just signed an agreement that they are going to make a trade deal by 2034 but it could be longer..........

21 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Record HIGH employment.

Oh please, not this again. It's a myth. Edited from a previous reply:

Most new jobs created are permanent full time positions which are not temporary or on zero hours contracts. Despite the hype, such contracts are a declining feature of the labour market. Some links:

Zero hours: Only 1 in 35 people in employment (2.8%) (and actually declining) is on such a contract and of those, less than a third (so less than 1% of the working population) want more hours. (Link and onward links to spreadsheets.) https://fullfact.org/economy/facts-about-zero-hour-contracts/

Temporary: Only 1 in 18 people in employment (5.5%) (and actually declining) has temporary work and of those, just over a quarter (so less than 1.5% of the working population) (and actually declining) are doing so because they cannot find permanent work. (Link with onward link to ONS spreadsheet)  https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/employmentandemployeetypes/datasets/fulltimeparttimeandtemporaryworkersseasonallyadjustedemp01sa