So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

Just now, woolley said:

Oh right. So the nuclear scenario then. Everything is going to meltdown, the FTSE is going to crash. All because we want an independent policy outside of the Brussels bureaucracy. You believe this even with record high employment and massive inward investment? You are afraid of bogeymen.

Almost every post for two pages now...

3 minutes ago, woolley said:

And true again with latest announcement just today. Thank you for highlighting it once more.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/feb/19/employers-squeezed-as-job-vacancies-grow-to-record-levels

"Record numbers of unfilled job vacancies across Britain appear to have strengthened the bargaining power of workers to demand higher wages, amid mounting fears over skills shortages at UK companies."

"The ONS said that as many as 844,000 people were employed on zero-hours contracts in their main job, down by 57,000 from a year earlier, although this figure is still above the pre-crisis level."

Edited by RIchard Britten

1 minute ago, woolley said:

Even with record high employment announced yet again today and massive inward investment, you still love to whinge.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47290331

although of course with the obligatory BBC "despite" clause: The jobs market remains in a robust shape despite the loss of momentum in the economy towards the end of last year - although the Brexit fog effect may be yet to register.

It's fair though.

The Leave campaign told lie after lie after lie.

"The easiest trade deals in history" turned out to be nothing of the kind with trading nations taking advantage of the obvious seriously weakened position of the UK.

The worst government I have ever known is riven by self-interest.

Hey, what's not to like.....?

1 minute ago, RIchard Britten said:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/feb/19/employers-squeezed-as-job-vacancies-grow-to-record-levels

"Record numbers of unfilled job vacancies across Britain appear to have strengthened the bargaining power of workers to demand higher wages, amid mounting fears over skills shortages at UK companies."

Higher wages is a bad thing? Need people then train 'em up. That's what I've always done.

Just now, woolley said:

:D Guardian.

"Within two years, before the negotiation with the EU is likely to be complete, and therefore before anything material has changed, we can negotiate a free trade area massively larger than the EU … The new trade agreements will come into force at the point of exit, but they will be fully negotiated"

David Davis

14 July 2016

Try mixing with the real people. Employment figures mean nothing as the system and benefits have since Thatcher's day been used to cover up unemployment. A full time job was defined as 16 hours decades ago and the rest is benefits. I have been unemployed in reality but not as a statistic many times as they moved me on to a scheme or course for six months with added benefits and then back to the unemployment register. They call it churning. I was unemployed from April 2008 for a while and then they paid me Pension Credit which is getting your state pension plus top ups treats at 60 not 65. Statistically I was not unemployed and did not attend to sign on ever again. So that was seven years between unemployment and actual retirement age. I did not count as unemployed. There are various other schemes.  

11 minutes ago, P.K. said:

It's fair though.

The Leave campaign told lie after lie after lie.

"The easiest trade deals in history" turned out to be nothing of the kind with trading nations taking advantage of the obvious seriously weakened position of the UK.

The worst government I have ever known is riven by self-interest.

Hey, what's not to like.....?

We used to rule the world. I think we may have some expertise in negotiating trade deals with the majority of the planet.

You talk about the UK as if it's on a par with somewhere like Albania. We have one of the largest economies in the world, we have the centre of global finance here and the President of the wealthiest nation on earth is promising that they are going to do a lot more trade with the UK.

There will be casualties along the way (although nothing compared to the steep decline happening across Europe) but the bigger picture is anything but Armageddon.

It's clearly your choice to have an unhealthy obsession with all things negative around the coming years but you might want to focus on the good points of life again. Your sanity and probably your family will thank you for it.

Edited by Lxxx
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, woolley said:

Well the folks on here blame it on Brexit even when the company involved denies it and the evidence supports what they say, as per Honda.

An analysis of Honda's withdrawal.

Why? Frankly, Swindon *never* made an adequate return for Honda. There's too much capacity in Europe and the situation got worse and worse as Honda’s market share fell. Output at 160k last year is sub-scale. It’s an obvious business decision to close it.

However, Honda has avoided that obvious business decision for many years. Instead, they've tried everything possible to keep Swindon open, such as exporting to the US.

The role of the EU-Japan trade deal is interesting. Britain pushed for the earliest possible reduction in EU auto tariffs, believing it would help Japanese assembly plants in the UK. There was some logic to this – if they had access to the EU market.

German and French manufacturers always thought Japan would just move assembly home. With the UK outside the EU, the trade deal makes that easy. Past UK policy comes back to bite us.

The next question is Toyota in Burnaston. That is an equally subscale plant. Business logic says Toyota should close it, but like Honda, they’ll try everything to make it work. I’m afraid the mood music from Toyota these days is not encouraging.

It’s a tragedy really. Swindon was a huge investment, attracted with much difficulty, and started with high hopes. Once it’s gone it’ll never come back. I also wonder when we’ll hear the first UK voices calling for Trump-style protectionism.

Edited by Max Power