So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

2 minutes ago, woolley said:

Ignore the substance as usual. At least you're consistent.

Yes, you did.  So you were able to disprove a comprehensive study by experts in the field, in 20 minutes with a couple of graphs you pulled of the interwebs?

Shall I let them know they were bested by an arm chair economist on a web forum?

Edited by RIchard Britten

10 minutes ago, RIchard Britten said:

Yes, you did.  So you were able to disprove a comprehensive study by experts in the field, in 20 minutes with a couple of graphs you pulled of the interwebs?

Shall I let them know they were bested by an arm chair economist on a web forum?

Tell them what you like.  Who says it was a comprehensive study? It's a subject I'm familiar with so the trend looked wrong straightaway. The graphs are authentic. Or are you disputing them?

1 hour ago, RIchard Britten said:

Foreign investment equals profits for foreign companies.

Remember when the UK sold its power plants to the French?

Also:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/01/brexit-could-cause-serious-damage-for-foreign-investment-into-the-uk-new-study-says.html

"Foreign investment into the U.K. has fallen by 19 percent since the Brexit vote in 2016, a new study has found.

Published Thursday, the report by the University of Sussex's U.K. Trade Policy Observatory showed that overseas investment has continuously declined since its peak in 2015. It has been the longest continuous decline for the U.K. since foreign direct investment (FDI) records began in 2003, it said. FDI is defined as overseas investments into new or existing projects, where the foreign investor secures a majority-ownership.

While the world economy remained resilient last year, the U.K. lost an estimated $1.5 billion in foreign capital investment, the report said. In 2017, the U.K. saw a 10 percent reduction in FDI projects."

That article is 1 month older than yours.  Wonder why there is such a disparity.

that only looks at one sector......

#fakenews

But when we think about confidence in this country and in this government, there is a daily vote of confidence – executed by the individuals investing in this country, creating jobs and opportunity for all our citizens. Under this government, this country remains the most successful country for foreign direct investment of any country in Europe. With more than £1,300 billion being invested in the last year. That is why Forbes magazine says that this country is the best destination for new jobs in the world.

ouch.......

21 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

When are these leavophiles going to give some actual real examples of investment and economic benefit? Who needs project fear when you've got project make believe.

read the thread......

:whistling:

fact is the uk is doing far better than the eu ( especially germany:lol:)

face it you lost.......

12 minutes ago, woody2 said:

read the thread......

:whistling:

fact is the uk is doing far better than the eu ( especially germany:lol:)

face it you lost.......

I've read the thread, there is no actual evidence. List five (that's not many) companies that have moved to the UK as a result of the UK voting to leave. List five trade deals that the UK has concluded. I want the UK to thrive but all we are getting is irrelevant rhetoric.

It is comedy that you look at things like this as simple as winning, this is the real grown up world not the school playground.

• Like 2

Worth restating that we all lost. :(

Top line is, and this is pretty much generally agreed by informed commentators, that the best-case scenario is the UK will be subject to a reduction in GDP and lower economic growth for a period of time.  Some debate over what that period will be, could be 10 years, could be 30.  After that, again best-case, is that the UK will gradually recover its economic position, probably in a mean reversion-like manner.

Alternative scenario is that it never recovers after this period of lower economic growth and misses the boat due to lower negotiating power or uncertainty or whatever.

Nightmare scenario is that we're all eating smoked longtail around braziers in 3 years time, but I don't think anyone believes that will happen.

But it begs the question why risk it at all for some nebulous concept of taking back control if the best you're going to do is break even after a generaton and expose yourself to significant downside risk in the process.  I wouldn't say its "idiocy of epic proportions", but I don't think it's that far away!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

I've read the thread, there is no actual evidence. List five (that's not many) companies that have moved to the UK as a result of the UK voting to leave. List five trade deals that the UK has concluded. I want the UK to thrive but all we are getting is irrelevant rhetoric.

It is comedy that you look at things like this as simple as winning, this is the real grown up world not the school playground.

you clearly haven't read the thread...... i have posted multiple news links of companies moving to the uk.......

go and look......

uk can't sign trade deals until its free of the eu....... 

6 minutes ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

Worth restating that we all lost. :(

Top line is, and this is pretty much generally agreed by informed commentators, that the best-case scenario is the UK will be subject to a reduction in GDP and lower economic growth for a period of time.  Some debate over what that period will be, could be 10 years, could be 30.  After that, again best-case, is that the UK will gradually recover its economic position, probably in a mean reversion-like manner.

Alternative scenario is that it never recovers after this period of lower economic growth and misses the boat due to lower negotiating power or uncertainty or whatever.

Nightmare scenario is that we're all eating smoked longtail around braziers in 3 years time, but I don't think anyone believes that will happen.

But it begs the question why risk it at all for some nebulous concept of taking back control if the best you're going to do is break even after a generaton and expose yourself to significant downside risk in the process.  I wouldn't say its "idiocy of epic proportions", but I don't think it's that far away!

rubbish...... the uk is beating all predictions........now go and look at the eurozone........

5 minutes ago, woody2 said:

you clearly haven't read the thread...... i have posted multiple news links of companies moving to the uk.......

go and look......

uk can't sign trade deals until its free of the eu....... 

Then it will be easy for you to name five, bet you don't.

Of course the UK can sign deals already, they have already done some.

Yet another example of evading the question when asked a simple question. Why won't those promoting leave give real evidence?