So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

1 hour ago, woolley said:

Well I haven't got you or Richard on ignore.

Fair enough.

So do you think that the UK contribution to EU membership failing to make even a piffling 2% of government expenditure should have been more strongly emphasised for all the advantages and value membership brings?

Or do you think that the level of bigotry that exists in the UK meant that Remain was a lost cause from the outset?

10 hours ago, P.K. said:

Fair enough.

So do you think that the UK contribution to EU membership failing to make even a piffling 2% of government expenditure should have been more strongly emphasised for all the advantages and value membership brings?

Or do you think that the level of bigotry that exists in the UK meant that Remain was a lost cause from the outset?

name these advantages...........

• Like 1

Just now, woody2 said:

how's life in the declining eu........

It is raining today, but apart from that my life is going great, thanks for asking. Finishing work in a few hours, I've got the afternoon to myself and the in-laws are looking after our son overnight on Saturday. It is very sweet that you constantly ask after my welfare, hope you're doing well too.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, woody2 said:

:rolleyes:

i was more thinking of germany's growth been less than half of that of the uk.......

if you compare q4 2017 with q4 2018 germany had only 0.6% growth- uk had 1.3% in the same period.....

Those percentages are all relative though, you can only use them as a true means of comparison if the starting point is the same. The starting point isn’t the same, the GDP of Germany is around 1.5 times larger than the UK. Even if you were to use the growth figures from just one quarter (I can’t think of any economist that would, they would look at a much larger trend) then it would still take a rather long time for the culmination of 1.3% growth to catch the culmination of 0.6% growth.

I want the UK to prosper and as a resident I obviously want Germany to prosper. God knows what you want.

Edited by mojomonkey

Can I suggest that the Brexit debate moves on from whether Brexit was/is stupid or not to what kind of Brexit we want?

There is an important debate in the UK amongst leading Brexiteers about what we do with tariffs and subsidies. Some want a Hayekian "red-meat" economy with no tariffs and allowing competition to do its stuff. This will produce cheap food and some other produce but will devastate farming and some other trades. Opponents query whether dropping all tariffs on imports removes incentives to 3rd countries to enter into trade-deals.

Mr Gove is pushing to protect agriculture which will make farmers happy but does remove one of the big wins from leaving the EU ie protect farmers but keep food prices artificially high.

We can't control these issues but we need to watch them as they could have big implications for the IOM. If the UK removes agriculture protection the IOM either follows suit (devastating for farmers) or doesn't (Manx produce becomes uncompetitive).

PS - I would rather Brexit had never happened and that it would go away but wishing for the way things were will get us nowhere.

7 minutes ago, Phillip Dearden said:

Can I suggest that the Brexit debate moves on from whether Brexit was/is stupid or not to what kind of Brexit we want?

There is an important debate in the UK amongst leading Brexiteers about what we do with tariffs and subsidies. Some want a Hayekian "red-meat" economy with no tariffs and allowing competition to do its stuff. This will produce cheap food and some other produce but will devastate farming and some other trades. Opponents query whether dropping all tariffs on imports removes incentives to 3rd countries to enter into trade-deals.

Mr Gove is pushing to protect agriculture which will make farmers happy but does remove one of the big wins from leaving the EU ie protect farmers but keep food prices artificially high.

We can't control these issues but we need to watch them as they could have big implications for the IOM. If the UK removes agriculture protection the IOM either follows suit (devastating for farmers) or doesn't (Manx produce becomes uncompetitive).

PS - I would rather Brexit had never happened and that it would go away but wishing for the way things were will get us nowhere.

Can you see Quayle and his acolytes allowing anything to happen to agriculture on the island?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mojomonkey said:

Those percentages are all relative though, you can only use them as a true means of comparison if the starting point is the same. The starting point isn’t the same, the GDP of Germany is around 1.5 times larger than the UK. Even if you were to use the growth figures from just one quarter (I can’t think of any economist that would, they would look at a much larger trend) then it would still take a rather long time for the culmination of 1.3% growth to catch the culmination of 0.6% growth.

I want the UK to prosper and as a resident I obviously want Germany to prosper. God knows what you want.

it is the same starting point.......the one used by all economists......... its not one quarter......... it's 5........

59 minutes ago, Phillip Dearden said:

ignoring the eu issue is how the referendum result came about........

sticking your head in the sand isn't going to work anymore........

10 minutes ago, woody2 said:

it is the same starting point.......the one used by all economists......... its not one quarter......... it's 5........

2 hours ago, woody2 said:

if you compare q4 2017 with q4 2018 germany had only 0.6% growth- uk had 1.3% in the same period.....

Firstly, in the post I referred to you clearly talk about the fourth quarter of 2018.

Secondly, you clearly don't get the point about culminative growth. Look at the GDPs of the UK and Germany, it is not the same starting point.

Thirdly, I want both the UK and Germany to prosper, are you going to say what you actually want? To watch the World burn, presumably?

Edited by mojomonkey