So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

1 minute ago, Barrie Stevens said:

He did not resign as such he applied for a position of profit under the Crown. Too much of that malarkey and the system creaks. Technically they do not resign...They disqualify themselves..

did it end in a by-election(in which he stood) called by him?????????????????????????????????????????

:whistling:

Just now, woody2 said:

he held a by-election and lost.......

something you claim mp's can't do......

If he stood for election and lost then he has not resigned as he had no seat to resign from...I think you will find he was hacked off over Heathrow extension and applied for the Chiltern Hundreds etc ie an office of profit under the Crown...Please read my post and link above.

1 minute ago, woody2 said:

did it end in a by-election(in which he stood) called by him?????????????????????????????????????????

:whistling:

An MP has no power to call a by-election....As I said earlier. Mr Speaker issues a writ to the Clerk and then that is moved by the House. Then the by-election is called. If Zac Goldsmith was appointed to an office of profit under the Crown by the Lord Chancellor then he would have been disqualified as an MP. His seat would have become vacant. Hence the by-election. This is how an MP effectively resigns. In the alternative he could merely have said that he was not going to contest a seat in the General Election...or stand in any by-election he had caused by later giving up the position for profit under the Crown..They do not actually get paid...MPs and MHKs do not call by-elections or any general elections. On the IOM as I recall this is the duty of the Lt Governor....So how does an MHK give notice of jacking it in?