So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

1 hour ago, manxman1980 said:

Cadbury was not owned by Kraft when the decision to move production to Poland was made.  Kraft just ended up taking the blame for a decision which had been enacted prior to their takeover.  

That’s true, and in fact, the Keynsham factory was shut down before the Kraft take over. I don’t know if the European Investment Bank loaned anything to Kraft to take over Cadbury and develop the factory in Poland, but I do know who loaned Kraft £7B of the £11.5B it cost to acquire Cadbury - that was RBS, which at the time was 84% owned by the Government of the U.K. 

Edited by Freggyragh

56 minutes ago, Freggyragh said:

That’s true, and in fact, the Keynsham factory was shut down before the Kraft take over. I don’t know if the European Investment Bank loaned anything to Kraft to take over Cadbury and develop the factory in Poland, but I do know who loaned Kraft £7B of the £11.5B it cost to acquire Cadbury - that was RBS, which at the time was 84% owned by the Government of the U.K. 

Not quite. Keynsham was slated for closure by Cadbury and during the takeover bid Kraft had won some support by saying they would keep it open. Once they took over, of course, they carried on with the closure plan.

You are absolutely right about RBS funding the takeover of a profitable UK plc by a loss making American leviathan, using taxpayers' bail out money - taxpayers including those who were to be thrown out of work by the deal. A deal worked up in total secrecy against the interests of a major longstanding customer of the same bank. Major disgrace. All on Labour's watch too, although it would have made no difference who was in power. Oh, the joys of globalisation.

1 hour ago, woolley said:

Not quite. Keynsham was slated for closure by Cadbury and during the takeover bid Kraft had won some support by saying they would keep it open. Once they took over, of course, they carried on with the closure plan.

Yes, that is pretty much how it panned out although I do not think Kraft realised just how much had been taken out of the Keynsham factory when they said they would keep it open.  If I recall correctly the final production lines were being moved to Poland at the time. 

You’re right, it was slated for closure in 2007, and whilst Kraft said they intended to keep the factory open prior to the take-over they said that, as it was a hostile take-over, Cadbury had withheld from them just how far their plans had gone. Once they had completed the take-over they discovered that Cadbury had already discussed the sale of the Keynsham site with developers and realised that the sale would be necessary to partially off-set the £100M Cadbury had already invested in the Polish factory.

Jacob Rees-Mogg wrote a sternly worded hypocritical letter to please his constituents saying that in this instance the company should have not realised the development value of the Keynsham site and should have taken a £100M hit on its investment in Poland and continued the hand-packing of curly-wurlies in the U.K. 

The old factory site is now a new housing estate. 

EU grants are only available for new jobs, as Twinnings found out when they tried to re-locate to Poland. After Brexit of course, any U.K. company that wishes to move operations to the EU will find that any jobs that go with the move will be considered ‘new jobs’, so the bullshit scenarios that Woody gave us will be possible - but of course, in Woody’s mind these will be positive Brexit outcomes. Why do people like Woody hate the U.K. so much? Why do they want companies to relocate and the UK economy go back to year zero? 

Edited by Freggyragh

So that Brits can stand on the white cliffs of Dover and wave their fists victoriously at the pesky European invaders that we've managed to repel at any cost. And a bit like the cartoon during the Dad's Army title sequence.

4 hours ago, mojomonkey said:

You were talking nonsense then and still are. As before you are failing to understand that GDP percentages are relative, you can only use them as a true means of comparison if the starting point is the same. As I highlighted previously, the starting point isn’t the same, the GDP of Germany is around 1.5 times larger than the UK. Even if you were to use the growth figures from just one quarter (I can’t think of any economist that would, they would look at a much larger trend) then it would still take a rather long time for the culmination of 1.3% growth to catch the culmination of 0.6% growth.

German GDP growth figures for the last five quarters:

4th quarter 2017: 0.5%

1st quarter 2018: 0.4%

2nd quarter 2018: 0.5%

3rd quarter 2018: -0.2%

4th quarter 2018: 0%

Source: https://tradingeconomics.com/germany/gdp-growth

I’m not seeing any recession (accepted definition of two consecutive quarters with negative growth) there.

all economists use gdp growth to compare different economies......

now if you remove the ecb funding (printing cash) in gdp terms germany has been in recession for 15 months......it not that hard.....

also using the same figures growth was 0.6% over the 15 month period in gdp.......

your not "seeing" a recession because of ecb funding....... 

3 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

The eurozone is not the EU as you well know...

You are saying that the UK has been held back by the EU.  I am saying that you have no evidence to back up that claim as the UK has and remains an EU member until the 29th March.  

You can point all you like to the eurozone but that is not evidence that the UK would be better off outside the EU.  

see aus and the usa.......clear evidence that the eu isn't needed for forward moving countries like the uk.......