So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

7 minutes ago, woody2 said:

Why is this objectionable? I suppose the EU could just give a straight forward "f*** you" and refuse an extension, thus forcing either an acceptance of May's deal or causing a hard exit.

Rightly or wrongly, from the start the EU has held all the cards in the negotiations.

2 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:
Why is this objectionable? I suppose the EU could just give a straight forward "f*** you" and refuse an extension, thus forcing either an acceptance of May's deal or causing a hard exit.

Rightly or wrongly, from the start the EU has held all the cards in the negotiations.

extension isn't down to the eu.........its down to the 27........poland and italy could be interesting.......

eu has lost control at this point.......

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, woody2 said:

jrm raised art.60 first.......he has since raised art.62......

get your facts right......

Care to cite where he raised article 60 first?  I cannot find reference to him asking such a question but obviously if he did you will have no problem on finding a link?  I have proven it is not hard to post citations.  Please do so to ensure that we all are working from the same information.

Congratulations on coping and pasting what was in the link I posted by the way.  It adds nothing to what we were discussing and only serves to highlight that article 62 is the relevant section of the Vienna Treaty. 

3 minutes ago, woody2 said:

extension isn't down to the eu.........its down to the 27........poland and italy could be interesting.......

eu has lost control at this point.......

Yes, it is down to the 27 member states of the EU. As leader of the European Council Tusk is appealing to those member states to give an extension if necessary. This is entirely about the UK asking for more time to do their deal, not sure what exactly the EU has lost control of? Personally, I hope that no extension is granted.

As an aside, if an extension is granted there is a strong chance that there will be European Election during that time. It'll be a nice opportunity for Farage to top up his salary and pension.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Freggyragh said:

Now Parliament says they don’t want no deal, the choices left are:

1. Bad deal. NI’s economy to be run by the RoI and not Westminster indefinitely. £39B bill. No agencies, no U.K. EU employees, no say, no influence, no Erasmus, no Galileo, no Euratom, etc. A deal so bad most brexiter MPs have already rejected it twice. Could lead to a second referendum in Scotland. 

Or, 

2. Remain. 

Or,

3. Beg for a short extension that will likely be rejected. 

Or, 

4. Beg for a longer extension that will probably only be accepted if there’s another referendum. 

Celtic nationalists like Woolley will obviously be in favour of the first option. No deal zealots like Woody will probably be hoping for the third option to succeed and then hope to overturn the  no deal rejection. 

I don’t like option 1 because I don’t want Scotland and England and Wales to break up. I don’t like option 2 because, even though leave cheated and were almost definitely backed by Russia, had no plans and their ludicrous claims about trade deals hadn’t been tested, they won. I don’t like 3. because it would be humiliating and in all probability a waste of time. I don’t like 4 because the uncertainty will drag on. If I had to choose now though, I’d probably go for either 1, or 4. 

Thing is, if option 2 - remain was accepted, what sort of relationship would it be? UK would be punished hard for having the audacity to try to leave. Not a viable option anymore in my opinion

33 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Care to cite where he raised article 60 first?  I cannot find reference to him asking such a question but obviously if he did you will have no problem on finding a link?  I have proven it is not hard to post citations.  Please do so to ensure that we all are working from the same information.

Congratulations on coping and pasting what was in the link I posted by the way.  It adds nothing to what we were discussing and only serves to highlight that article 62 is the relevant section of the Vienna Treaty. 

When Woody starts saying ‘get your facts right’, or ‘you don’t understand <insert a verifiable fact that Woody has misquoted or misunderstood>’ it’s his last resort for situations where inventing something he wishes were true has left him looking stupid again. He’ll never find that link. 

40 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

tuesday it was raised......i also raised the vc 4 weeks ago.....keep up.....

art.60 and art.62 are irrelevant due to art.56.......

the wa doesn't have a get  out clause..........

Article 56 of the Vienna Convention states that “a treaty which contains no provision regarding its termination and which does not provide for denunciation or withdrawal is not subject to denunciation or withdrawal.”

clearly you don't have a clue.......

if the ag changes his legal advice then it doubtful that the deal would be ratified.....

46 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

Yes, it is down to the 27 member states of the EU. As leader of the European Council Tusk is appealing to those member states to give an extension if necessary. This is entirely about the UK asking for more time to do their deal, not sure what exactly the EU has lost control of? Personally, I hope that no extension is granted.

As an aside, if an extension is granted there is a strong chance that there will be European Election during that time. It'll be a nice opportunity for Farage to top up his salary and pension.

extension is not down to the eu=lost control.......

4 minutes ago, woody2 said:

tuesday it was raised......i also raised the vc 4 weeks ago.....keep up.....

art.60 and art.62 are irrelevant due to art.56.......

the wa doesn't have a get  out clause..........

Article 56 of the Vienna Convention states that “a treaty which contains no provision regarding its termination and which does not provide for denunciation or withdrawal is not subject to denunciation or withdrawal.”

clearly you don't have a clue.......

if the ag changes his legal advice then it doubtful that the deal would be ratified.....

The withdrawal agreement does have an "get out clause" though which is both parties agreeing on how to resolve the issue with the border in Ireland.  The AG has reassured us all that the withdrawal agreement sets out a year in which to achieve this after which efforts will be redoubled...  If the EU acts in bad faith then the UK can go to arbitration to have the backstop withdrawn - equally under a new Government with a fundamental change then article 62 can be used.

I would suggest that you are not paying close enough attention. 

Does anyone else enjoy the irony of a Prime Minister having a third "meaningful vote" in the House of Commons on a withdrawal agreement that has already been voted down twice by a significant majority whilst maintaining that it would be undemocratic to have a second referendum on a 52/48 decision to leave the EU?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, woody2 said:

extension is not down to the eu=lost control.......

"The Treaties shall cease to apply to the State in question from the date of entry into force of the withdrawal agreement or, failing that, two years after the notification referred to in paragraph 2, unless the European Council, in agreement with the Member State concerned, unanimously decides to extend this period."

If not the 27 other member states of the EU, who is the extension down to then?

Edited by mojomonkey