So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

10 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

This particular line amuses me.  Why would NEXT have seen any changes in consumer behaviour due to "Brexit uncertainty"?  Did they expect people to be stockpiling clothes or waiting for post Brexit sales?? 

Did you read the figures?  The rise in online sales does not offset the drop of in store sales so overall their sales have fallen.  They are bound to say online provides a larger opportunity in the future but that also means that they are likely to reduce the number of stores they have.

Stores are doing worse, meaning store closures in the future which means job loses.

It might seem obvious to anyone with a brain in there head, but some of the slower/older members might need that explaining.

18 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Did you read the figures?  The rise in online sales does not offset the drop of in store sales so overall their sales have fallen.  They are bound to say online provides a larger opportunity in the future but that also means that they are likely to reduce the number of stores they have.

did you read the link......

Total group sales, including the finance division, rose by 2.5% to £4.22bn

so clearly online sales did offset the drop in store sales.......

the death of the high street has nothing to do with exit........i spotted it in 1992........

• Like 1

Same old suspects putting a lot of their energy into online discussions about decisions that have already been made by people a long way up the food chain.

Just sit back and whatever happens happen. It really won't affect you a great deal either way if you work hard and focus on your own life.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

Woody, you're a much dapper dresser than I previously thought. You need to brush up on your cravat tying skills though.

bloody funny though.........

On the 23rd of June, 2016
The people of the United Kingdom – and Gibraltar – went to vote
On an issue that for some had been burning for years
The question in full – and unaltered – was – I quote

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union
or leave the European Union?

It was the greatest democratic turnout in British history, I do not scoff
And when the time came to speak the British said duck off.
duck off.

Campaigning had gone on for many a month
With debate and discussion on many a front
They’d argued they’d fought they’d smeared and pulled stunts
There was David Cameron. Theresa May. George Osborne.
Tony Blair. John Major. The BBC.
The British told them to duck off. The British told them to duck off.

If you vote to leave, you’ll lose your job
Vote to leave, you’ll lose your home.
The ensuing recession will last for years
Said David Cameron. Theresa May. George Osborne.
And the Treasury. Tony Blair. John Major. The BBC.
The Bank of England. Mark Carney. The EU. The IMF. The US president. Saint Obama. Back of the cue. Loads of celebrities. Gary Lineker. JK Rowling. Benedict Cumbertw@t. Lord Adonis. Who the duck’s he anyway?
The British told them to duck off. Seventeen million duck offs.

They wheeled in the experts to tell us what’s right
They gave us the benefit of their foresight
To leave is calamitous, that’s definite.
Food shortages. No medicine. Planes grounded. House price crash. ½ a million jobs lost. Cost of £4,300 to every home. Stock market collapse. Riots. No sandwiches.There’d be an outbreak of super gonorrhea. They seriously said that. Donald Tusk at the EU said it would be the end of Western civilization as we know it. I’m not joking. And one more thing. If you vote to leave, that makes you racist.
The British told them to duck off. Seventeen million duck offs.

The vote is final, there’s no going back
Although now they want to go back and re-vote
I think we know what the answer will be
To Gary Lineker. Alastair Campbell. Dominic Grieve. Chuka Umana. Keir Starma. Vince Cable. Anna Soubry (not a Nazi). Rory Bremner. Armando Ianucci. Delia Smith. Steve Coogan. David Lammy. Lord Adonis. Who the duck’s he anyway?
The British will tell them duck off. 17 million ducks offs.

:lol:

Edited by woody2

2 hours ago, woody2 said:

the death of the high street has nothing to do with exit........i spotted it in 1992........

No... Clearly the finance division had a significant impact on the total group sales because 1.92bn is definitely less than 1.95bn.

Who said anything about the death of the high street being caused by Brexit?? 

2 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

This particular line amuses me.  Why would NEXT have seen any changes in consumer behaviour due to "Brexit uncertainty"?  Did they expect people to be stockpiling clothes or waiting for post Brexit sales?? 

Well we keep being told that "Brexit uncertainty" is stopping people buying, so I suppose this is where the comment is coming from rather than any unfulfilled expectation of stockpiling.

Move from high street to online is a global phenomenon affecting shopping habits. Been happening for years and nothing to do with Brexit.

4 hours ago, woody2 said:

did you read your link........

Sales in Next's stores fell nearly 8% last year to £1.95bn, while online sales rose by 14.7% to £1.92bn.

It said online was a "long-term threat" to its High Street business, but a "larger opportunity" for the group.

The retailer also said it could see "no evidence" that Brexit uncertainty was affecting consumer behaviour.

:whistling:

3 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

2 hours ago, woody2 said:

38 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

No... Clearly the finance division had a significant impact on the total group sales because 1.92bn is definitely less than 1.95bn.

Who said anything about the death of the high street being caused by Brexit?? 

learn to read......

you said......"The rise in online sales does not offset the drop of in store sales so overall their sales have fallen."

turnover has risen.........

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RIchard Britten said:

Stores are doing worse, meaning store closures in the future which means job loses.

It might seem obvious to anyone with a brain in there head, but some of the slower/older members might need that explaining.

You've heard of buying stuff on line? Nowt to do with Brexit.

So the end game rolls on. It seems unlikely that the existing deal will be approved next week because both sides think they can get their preferred outcome. I wouldn't be surprised if MV3 never takes place, or if it does it goes down by an even bigger margin than MV2. May will then surely resign, or maybe that will happen sooner if she sees the position is hopeless. I think no deal is highly unlikely because Parliament has already voted it down, and now the EU has allowed more time to legislate otherwise. No crash out next Friday then. Brexiteers should take note. Realistically, the hard Brexit ship sailed when the UK submitted itself to the Article 50 process. It should not have done so, but that ship sailed 2 years ago.

As one who has always disdained the EU, I could have lived with the current deal as a start. It's a step in a process and better than being in. I didn't like the transition period inside the customs union (backstop) and I was suspicious as to what it was that was going to replace it in the Future Relationship document. If a customs union was needed in the transition, then why not in the permanent relationship? Conversely, if we could have a permanent relationship without a customs union why was deemed essential in the transition? This was never satisfactorily answered, but on balance, I'd live with that package. I can understand why it was framed the way it was; as something that was actually nobody's ideal but might come to be everybody's compromise. I guess that reckoned without the divisiveness that the EU always invokes in the British. Nobody can see a compromise between entrenched opposing positions.

However, I will say that if, as seems likely, the "alternative ideas" from the likes of Corbyn are going to involve being in the customs union and single market with full budget contributions and freedom of movement then that's ludicrous. A bit like signing up to buy a business with no say on its future direction. In that case, and through gritted teeth, I would prefer the revocation of Article 50, and working to clip the monster's wings from within. It would not be a pretty outcome, but it would be better than paying the dues, observing all the rules (more than most EU countries do) with no seat at the table. Welcome to the Hotel California.

Edited by woolley
  • Like 1

It's better to be in the tent, pissing out...and you can't effect any change when you've exiled and ostracised yourself whilst remaining bound to certain terms and conditions.

This period has massively reduced the UK's standing in the international view IMHO. Shown to be a fragmented, divided nation, riven with political and class self-interest incapable of presenting a unified, negotiating front on the most important decision in a generation. Nobody in this world will take the UK seriously again. Unless we send an aircraft carrier to the South China Sea of course :whatever:

It is/has been a watershed. The EU must by now regard UK Govt in the same way as UK Govt regard IoM. A collection of disorganised, backwater, hickey amateurs.

19 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

It's better to be in the tent, pissing out...and you can't effect any change when you've exiled and ostracised yourself whilst remaining bound to certain terms and conditions.

This period has massively reduced the UK's standing in the international view IMHO. Shown to be a fragmented, divided nation, riven with political and class self-interest incapable of presenting a unified, negotiating front on the most important decision in a generation. Nobody in this world will take the UK seriously again. Unless we send an aircraft carrier to the South China Sea of course :whatever:

It is/has been a watershed. The EU must by now regard UK Govt in the same way as UK Govt regard IoM. A collection of disorganised, backwater, hickey amateurs.

You aren't making a good case for staying in............