So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

4 hours ago, Freggyragh said:

Sorry Barrie, but your brexit voting country is about as hillbilly as it gets. So many English never go abroad, except on cruises or to little English-speaking shitholes they create in other countries. If it wasn’t for the progressive voters of Scotland and the big port cities England would still be feudal. 

Because the average Scot is sooooooo much more progressive than the average English. Give it up, Freggs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, woolley said:

Because the average Scot is sooooooo much more progressive than the average English. Give it up, Freggs.

Scotland still has one of the biggest feudal landholdings anywhere as about 500 people control most of the land there. Scotland still has clans and clan chiefs. Many clan chiefs hold vast lands got in times of strife, political advantage and heredity. Let us not forget the Scots who were cleared off the land during the Highland Clearances.

In Scotland to day there have been moves some of them successful to return land to the people I think by purchase. I am not well informed on that but redistributing land like in Zimbabwe is an issue.

Feudal tenure "the Feu" was not abolished in Scotland until 2000. Tony Blair promised it would be done prior to winning the election.. England on the other hand abolished feudal tenure in 1660 by doing away with the Court of Wards and it was consolidated in 1948 in the legislation known as the Tenures Abolition Act 1660.

There are still some manorial rights that can be purchased and in recent times as I recall the owners have had a last chance opportunity to register and enforce these rights but they relate more to rights that come with the freehold. ie minerals, hunting and fishing etc.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/who-owns-scotland-1320933.html

https://www.commonspace.scot/articles/9351/nicola-sturgeon-mocks-landowning-tory-attack-land-reform

Funny how most of the world uses our quant little English Hillbilly language? Perhaps some of us had a bike and did some travelling?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, woolley said:

give ni to ireland,stop all transport links and move the dup types to glasgow..........nicky said she wanted more immigration.......

19 hours ago, Barrie Stevens said:

Scotland still has one of the biggest feudal landholdings anywhere as about 500 people control most of the land there. Scotland still has clans and clan chiefs. Many clan chiefs hold vast lands got in times of strife, political advantage and heredity. Let us not forget the Scots who were cleared off the land during the Highland Clearances.

In Scotland to day there have been moves some of them successful to return land to the people I think by purchase. I am not well informed on that but redistributing land like in Zimbabwe is an issue.

Feudal tenure "the Feu" was not abolished in Scotland until 2000. Tony Blair promised it would be done prior to winning the election.. England on the other hand abolished feudal tenure in 1660 by doing away with the Court of Wards and it was consolidated in 1948 in the legislation known as the Tenures Abolition Act 1660.

There are still some manorial rights that can be purchased and in recent times as I recall the owners have had a last chance opportunity to register and enforce these rights but they relate more to rights that come with the freehold. ie minerals, hunting and fishing etc.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/who-owns-scotland-1320933.html

https://www.commonspace.scot/articles/9351/nicola-sturgeon-mocks-landowning-tory-attack-land-reform

Funny how most of the world uses our quant little English Hillbilly language? Perhaps some of us had a bike and did some travelling?

There is a great book called "who owns britain", which covers a lot of this information.

A very intetesting read Barry x

• Like 1

"Who Owns Britain"...I have heard of it and it has been done on the radio...The Guardian yesterday carried an article about how so few people own and control Britain.. I have often commented over the years that the broad acres are still controlled by those who came over with the Normans. Many have anglicised Norman names. ie Grosvenor from Le Grand Veneur or Master Huntsman later changed to Le Gros Veneur because the chap who helped William the Conqueror got a bit fat....Hence "Grosvenor"...There are many others such as Neville...They rarely sell land. They rent it out and acquire more. Some of the Scottish clan chiefs have a Norman origin. "Bruce" is "de Brus"...And then there is corporate investment, Arab oil money and Russians etc.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

"Who Owns Britain"...I have heard of it and it has been done on the radio...The Guardian yesterday carried an article about how so few people own and control Britain.. I have often commented over the years that the broad acres are still controlled by those who came over with the Normans. Many have anglicised Norman names. ie Grosvenor from Le Grand Veneur or Master Huntsman later changed to Le Gros Veneur because the chap who helped William the Conqueror got a bit fat....Hence "Grosvenor"...There are many others such as Neville...They rarely sell land. They rent it out and acquire more. Some of the Scottish clan chiefs have a Norman origin. "Bruce" is "de Brus"...And then there is corporate investment, Arab oil money and Russians etc.

I know what you mean barry but no one controls britain. They may think they do but no one has that kind of clout or longevity. And the ephemeral nature of our existence obviously prevents us from ever truly owning land. It was here before us and it will be here when we leave. Yes that is how some view life. It just is the way it is etc.

But actually, each individual constitutes the wealth of a nation, and is entitled to their fair share. It just got a bit skewed in the past, and so most people dont really come to that realisation. But how else could it be!

Anyway i really recommend that you get a copy of the book, i got mine from the charity shop, as it is fascinating and very insightful x

38 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

Yes. The system is all smoke and mirrors set up as a lightning rod to protect the ancient established vested interests, and this is what those who spend their lives arguing about politics fail to realise. I bet they don't like the internet very much.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, paul's got wright said:

I know what you mean barry but no one controls britain. They may think they do but no one has that kind of clout or longevity. And the ephemeral nature of our existence obviously prevents us from ever truly owning land. It was here before us and it will be here when we leave. Yes that is how some view life. It just is the way it is etc.

But actually, each individual constitutes the wealth of a nation, and is entitled to their fair share. It just got a bit skewed in the past, and so most people dont really come to that realisation. But how else could it be!

Anyway i really recommend that you get a copy of the book, i got mine from the charity shop, as it is fascinating and very insightful x

It's not so much about owning land, paul, it's the position and influence that it bestows. Let's face it. It doesn't matter much what went before you were born or after you die, it's the bit in between that matters, and so long as you can pass it on to the next generation the system perpetuates. The leaders in the public eye are not really leaders. They are expendable.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, woolley said:

Yes. The system is all smoke and mirrors set up as a lightning rod to protect the ancient established vested interests, and this is what those who spend their lives arguing about politics fail to realise. I bet they don't like the internet very much.

have you seen the controls the eu keep passing.......

2 hours ago, woolley said:

It's not so much about owning land, paul, it's the position and influence that it bestows. Let's face it. It doesn't matter much what went before you were born or after you die, it's the bit in between that matters, and so long as you can pass it on to the next generation the system perpetuates. The leaders in the public eye are not really leaders. They are expendable.

Indeed wooley x

3 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Seems the talks with labour are faltering. Apparently Teresa May is now in talks with Manchester United on how to quickly get out of Europe. 

She'd be going to the right place. Never seen such a team of lazy bastards as those currently on display for United. Lingard, £100k a week. What exactly is his job? Occasional blockbuster goal from outside the area. Rest of the time, absolutely nothing, just ambles up and down the pitch putting in less effort than the linesman. Pogba, £350k a week. Good when he wants to be but that isn't often enough. The rest? Not enough effort and skill levels way short of what is good enough. Passing too often wayward, first touch like a trampoline, no control. What on Earth do they do in training? Yet they all think they are effing wonderful.

Ole? Won't make any difference. Way too nice but he suits the purpose. Pochettino, Zidane would want £10-15m a year salary and half a billion at least for a much needed team shake up. Ole will probably work for £2-3m and carry on smiling while playing Lingard, Young, Jones et al. So long as you have a stadium full of punters who will turn up come rain or shine to watch any old shite, why bother spending good money? The only time they will look at it is if the rights fees and shirt sales start diminishing or if out of CL football revenue for any length of time. I think they looked at the old Arsenal model.

I'm United since birth, but I won't watch this shite. Prefer to watch City to be honest. They play lovely stuff.

• Like 1