So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

3 hours ago, woolley said:

John. It's not going to happen. There isn't a majority for it in Parliament. It is a europhile Parliament by and large and, although a managed no deal would probably be the superior solution in the long run, they simply will not allow it to pass. Not to play by the EU rules would crack the veneer of unity that the 27 have managed to hold together under Article 50.

However, MPs will push for another referendum, and I wouldn't be surprised to see one early next year. They have had four years of Project Fear to wear the population down. Four years of deaths of people with long memories and four years of easily brainwashed youngsters attaining the age of majority. They might swing a narrow result for remain. That, or a general election from which absolutely anything could emerge. What a mess!

I don't know what you're on but I think I'd like to try some....

For years and years and years the UK's in thrall to the owner's agenda lowbrow right wing press, which is to say pretty much all of it, have been bombarding the Great British Public with EU negativity after negativity. Hence:

"....you, like a lot of the establishment, just don't get it. We don't care how difficult it is. We don't care how bad it will be for the economy. We don't care whether certain elements are possible or not. We just want to cut all ties to the EU and leave."

Ask them why and answer comes there none.....

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/powerful-response-listener-understand-brexit/

1 minute ago, P.K. said:

For years and years and years the UK's in thrall to the owner's agenda lowbrow right wing press, which is to say pretty much all of it, have been bombarding the Great British Public with EU negativity after negativity. Hence:

It really isn't. Perhaps 35 years ago the press had the public in thrall but, rather like trade unions, they are a busted flush nowadays. You need to stop pushing that one. Barely a 5 million daily circulation and approaching 50 million potential voters. And just because you take everything that your chosen organ tells you as gospel, this doesn't mean that everyone else does likewise.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/529060/uk-newspaper-market-by-circulation/

22 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I don't know what you're on but I think I'd like to try some....

I'm "on" the joy of living. That's all I need and I recommend it to you. :)

Just wake every morning and soak up the wonder of everything around you.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, woolley said:

It really isn't. Perhaps 35 years ago the press had the public in thrall but, rather like trade unions, they are a busted flush nowadays. You need to stop pushing that one. Barely a 5 million daily circulation and approaching 50 million potential voters. And just because you take everything that your chosen organ tells you as gospel, this doesn't mean that everyone else does likewise.

I disagree that newspapers lack impact on public opinion. The Barclay brothers purchased the Torygraph for a reason.

Plus I don't take whatever media outlet spouts as gospel. Never have. Never will. It's called being an adult.....

33 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I disagree that newspapers lack impact on public opinion. The Barclay brothers purchased the Torygraph for a reason.

Plus I don't take whatever media outlet spouts as gospel. Never have. Never will. It's called being an adult.....

Hmmmm. You often quote large extracts from it without even crediting the source. To me, a person's actions speak louder than their strenuous protestations to the contrary.

Of course the Barclay brothers bought it for a reason, and that reason may well be the one that you cite. However, they are probably almost as old as you and harbour similar delusions about the power of newspapers today. It's OK though. It's a good business and it makes a handsome profit.

10 minutes ago, woolley said:

Hmmmm. You often quote large extracts from it without even crediting the source.

Knowing full well it will bring down all the usual chorus of reprobation and mockery from all the usual suspects.

In the UK the fact that The Grauniad has no owner's agenda to slavishly promote puts it in a class of it's own compared to the rest.

Mind you, the rest set a VERY low bar I grant you....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John Wright said:

No deal Brexit, here we come. It can’t even be described as WTO. Have we got all our schedules in place, agreed, signed off? How many roll over deals have we from the deals with EU27 and the dozens of FTA the EU has?

None of the contenders has any alternative to the May deal. There isn’t one on offer from the EU.

If we leave without a deal, which to me looks increasingly likely, then we automatically become part of the “EU Common External Tariff Regime” which meets WTO terms.

Some 30% of food consumed in the UK is supplied by the EU. Now as I understand it to change ANY of the conditions of our trade with EU countries will require a change to The Treaty Of The European Union. This can only be done by the agreement of all the remaining states in the EU. Unfortunately many of those states have a "referendum lock" on any changes to The Treaty.

In other words once we leave we are almost certainly locked into the “EU Common External Tariff Regime” for the foreseeable future if we want to continue buying EU produce.

Like the 30% of the food we consume......

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

If we leave without a deal, which to me looks increasingly likely, then we automatically become part of the “EU Common External Tariff Regime” which meets WTO terms.

Some 30% of food consumed in the UK is supplied by the EU. Now as I understand it to change ANY of the conditions of our trade with EU countries will require a change to The Treaty Of The European Union. This can only be done by the agreement of all the remaining states in the EU. Unfortunately many of those states have a "referendum lock" on any changes to The Treaty.

In other words once we leave we are almost certainly locked into the “EU Common External Tariff Regime” for the foreseeable future if we want to continue buying EU produce.

Er, there is a problem with the thrust of your argument here. Can you see it?

2 hours ago, P.K. said:

I think you completely misunderstand

• Like 1

3 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

that Gove really appears to be a slimy git

As do most frogs and toads. To which he bears an astounding resemblance.

• Like 1