So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

This facts v feelings debate reminds me of a science v religion debate. One side cannot understand why the other cannot form a rational fact based opinion, the other cannot understand why the other is even bothering to weigh up evidence because, to them, the truth is obvious. 

• Like 1

What price this new sovereignty emotion if the USA starts telling us what to do?

Y'know like we'll give you a biscuit because we like you (unlike "those French") . If you don't deal with Huawei we'll give you a packet of biscuits. However If you adopt our food and agricultural standards, you can have a tin of biscuits.

Yep, "take back control"  :rolleyes:

PS Has anyone else noticed the "take control" meme now seems obligatory in a very broad range of advertising.

Edited by ballaughbiker

On 8/30/2017 at 10:11 AM, woolley said:

Sovereignty and self-determination of nations is the key to prosperity

This is a bold statement. So the following is an attempt to remove the smoke and mirrors around what the "loss of sovereignty" from the UK to the EU means in real terms like GDP.

UK joins the EU in 1973. The current situation in GDP measured in US$M:

1    United States   13,698,000
2    Japan                  4,124,896
3    Germany              3,855,118
4    France                  2,625,794
5    UK                         1,813,326
6    Italy                       1,690,840
7    China                    1,367,698
8    Canada                 1,289,431
9    India                         852,460
10    Australia                840,995

Now:

1     United States    20,494,050
2     China                  13,407,398
3     Japan                   4,971,929
4     Germany              4,000,386
5     UK                         2,828,644
6     France                  2,775,252
7     India                      2,716,746
8     Italy                        2,072,201
9     Brazil                     1,868,184
10     Canada               1,711,387

Of course the good news bit is that France has slipped from fourth to sixth and Germany keeps powering along using the sneaky Teutonic trick of making decent stuff folks want to buy. As expected the emergent nations of China, India and Brazil are very much starting to make their presence felt. Amazing what can change in 45 years.

Frankly I don't see how anyone could possible claim that the UK hasn't done OK for itself in the EU. Of course, all the usual suspects will be bleating "You don't know if it might have done just as well outside of the EU or even better!" because they have nowhere else to go....

Trump is obviously a big fan of Brexit. Do you know why? The following list holds a little clue, known as a cluette, as to the reason for this:

1     United States    20,494,050
2     EU                        18,750,052
3     China                  13,407,398
4     Japan                   4,971,929
5     Germany              4,000,386
6     UK                         2,828,644
7     France                  2,775,252
8     India                      2,716,746
9     Italy                        2,072,201
10   Brazil                     1,868,184

Currently the US has only one real rival for trade dominance and that is the much maligned EU. A US ambassador explained it that they usually just send out a trade agreement and tell the hopefuls to sign it. With the EU they have to treat them as equals.

I know Trump was playing to his US big-business driven script (he can't operate any other way) but I suspect playing the NHS card was a retrograde step.....

Just to end on a happy note:

Brexit_Reality.jpg.3593e11887e2b5e4738d763096488120.jpg

On 6/3/2019 at 6:57 PM, P.K. said:

I don't accept the bobbing and weaving to avoid answering the question......

What else can one do when the question is akin to: "When did you stop beating your wife?" It makes assumptions I fundamentally disagree with, i.e sovereignty is illusory, ergo it is unanswerable.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2019 at 11:49 PM, Freggyragh said:

This facts v feelings debate reminds me of a science v religion debate. One side cannot understand why the other cannot form a rational fact based opinion, the other cannot understand why the other is even bothering to weigh up evidence because, to them, the truth is obvious. 

The above is the conceit of the Europhile argument. One side only considers one aspect of a massive issue, being trade, and calls this rationality. The other side views the issue in the round in the full context of history, the way things are heading and what is likely to happen in the future. One side plows on with eyes closed preferring to maintain what it fondly believes is an unchanging status quo while the other is screaming "No. Don't go there." To BOTH the truth is obvious and that is the root of the standoff.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, woolley said:

The above is the conceit of the Europhile argument. One side only considers one aspect of a massive issue, being trade, and calls this rationality. The other side views the issue in the round in the full context of history, the way things are heading and what is likely to happen in the future. One side plows on with eyes closed preferring to maintain what it fondly believes is an unchanging status quo while the other is screaming "No. Don't go there." To BOTH the truth is obvious and that is the root of the standoff.

I prefer  to look at the £numbers. It's called "Management By Fact" you know....

@woolley You will see your post I previously quoted was from several years ago. I had an hour or so to spare (unlike some on here I don't spend all day staring at a screen pretending to work...) so I searched back trying to find where you had tried to explain the myth of UK "lost" sovereignty. Unfortunately, despite me applying due diligence, I failed to find it. 

The above is the conceit of the Europhile argument

Prevention is good but taking the most extreme measure possible to dodge a theoretical problem at an unspecified point in the future seems an unnecessary gamble we will all have to risk.

I certainly don't apply this to all leavers but many have approached leaving and voted accordingly with next to no consideration of the consequences. The way they don't want to know about such consequences is like a religious person not wanting to seek anything that might question their faith. Pointing this out is hardly conceit but forcing a continuation in the direction we are going, given the evidence we now have, might well be.

Many leavers are hoping for the best based on nothing but faith. It might just work if the three ducks line up but I think they wouldn't bet their house on it.

16 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I prefer  to look at the £numbers. It's called "Management By Fact" you know....

@woolley You will see your post I previously quoted was from several years ago. I had an hour or so to spare (unlike some on here I don't spend all day staring at a screen pretending to work...) so I searched back trying to find where you had tried to explain the myth of UK "lost" sovereignty. Unfortunately, despite me applying due diligence, I failed to find it. 

An hour would be nowhere near long enough to analyse this. If you were looking for a myth then there isn't one. (Methinks he prostesteth too much regarding the time spent on here, by the way.)

2 hours ago, woolley said:

You can't manage the future by fact.

Don't be silly.

Tomorrows projections are based on today's facts.

Well, until we leave the EU into a totally uncertain future that is. Like every parent wants for their kids....

2 hours ago, woolley said:

An hour would be nowhere near long enough to analyse this. If you were looking for a myth then there isn't one. (Methinks he prostesteth too much regarding the time spent on here, by the way.)

Nah. Yesterday meant lots of downtime travelling with it's ethos "Hurry up and wait somewhere else...." 

Worth it though. Reginald D Hunter was on at The Lowry last night. V funny.

Now got to sort my sierra as the annual fishing trip with the chaps starts this weekend.

Busy busy busy....