So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

£ has been spooked for 3+ years then. The latest dip is clearly uncertainty but please don't join the facebook crowd who say it's nothing to do with "it".

Lamy is a Frenchman and an animal of the European Commission, so a totally impartial commentator - not.

You would have a stronger argument if he hadn't been DG of WTO for 8 years since his Delors days.

Stop panicking and get real. Life goes on.

Hmmm, woolley's views or Lamy's ? Tricky one.....

As for that twot Johnson  (just my opinion m'lud) who has now grabbed the steering wheel, with him at the helm there is good reason for a degree of unease.

We are their largest European trading partner.

But they will remain in the block with all its up and running deals that we will choose to trash (= 65% of our exports remember) in a few weeks. Still Trump will look after us after America first. Tariffs.....yay!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ballaughbiker said:

£ has been spooked for 3+ years then. The latest dip is clearly uncertainty but please don't join the facebook crowd who say it's nothing to do with "it".

Yes. Uncertainty for 3 years - as I said.

You would have a stronger argument if he hadn't been DG of WTO for 8 years since his Delors days.

Leopard does not change spots. Animal of the EU and Frenchman to boot.

Hmmm, woolley's views or Lamy's ? Tricky one.....

I guess we'll have to wait and see!

As for that twot Johnson  (just my opinion m'lud) who has now grabbed the steering wheel, with him at the helm there is good reason for a degree of unease.

Well, I'm no Johnson fan, but if he is the only one who can put this charade to bed, more power to his elbow.

But they will remain in the block with all its up and running deals that we will choose to trash (= 65% of our exports remember) in a few weeks.

Trade again. Trade will continue in much the way it always has. It is imperative to buyers and sellers. We import as well as export, don't forget. The "planes won't fly" brigade would like you to forget that.

Still Trump will look after us after America first. Tariffs.....yay!

Nobody will "look after us". Not America and certainly not the EU. Nor should we expect it. We have to look after ourselves by being a premier league economy and having the goods and services that the world wants to buy. If we do that, we deserve success. If not, there is no bureaucracy on Earth that will save us.

This whole thing is toxic and needs to end. It is what the EU does for Britain. Gets half the country at the throat of the other half. It is destructive. I promised myself I would stop this endless rebuffing of the same tiresome, inconsequential, nonsensical arguments about cessation of trade, but here I am again.................

I will leave it alone until something actually happens.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

That statement sounds pretty xenophobic.   Just saying....

To address accusation of xenophobia:

Don't be pc silly. We and the French have called each other names for centuries. I have a great regard for them though, as I do for the other great continental nations. However, I don't think even the most ardent Francophile could deny that the French tend to have a certain distinct view of the EU, and an individual who has been integral within the EU hierarchy will have had that reinforced a thousandfold. I stand by my observation that he is not impartial.

26 minutes ago, woolley said:

Trade again. Trade will continue in much the way it always has. It is imperative to buyers and sellers. We import as well as export, don't forget. The "planes won't fly" brigade would like you to forget that.

Of course trade will continue.

After all, we have to eat.

With tariffs etc effecting both our imports and exports as a trading nation what reduction can we expect in our standard of living...?

8 hours ago, woolley said:

To address accusation of xenophobia:

Don't be pc silly. We and the French have called each other names for centuries. I have a great regard for them though, as I do for the other great continental nations. However, I don't think even the most ardent Francophile could deny that the French tend to have a certain distinct view of the EU, and an individual who has been integral within the EU hierarchy will have had that reinforced a thousandfold. I stand by my observation that he is not impartial.

By ‘we’ you mean English. This is Manx Forums Johnny Foreigner. 

57 minutes ago, woolley said:

Hmmm. There's always been a touch of this about you. "We" are the British, i.e, all of us from the British Isles.

Maybe but historically it is the English who fought many wars with the French.  The Scottish I believe sided with the French.  

I don't think the Manx had much of a say in who they fought for or against.  Brings us back to the question of sovereignty doesn't it?

Independent Isle of Man anyone?   Take back control from Westminster.  We can have our own trade deals and control of our own borders then!

59 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Maybe but historically it is the English who fought many wars with the French.  The Scottish I believe sided with the French.  

I don't think the Manx had much of a say in who they fought for or against.  Brings us back to the question of sovereignty doesn't it?

Independent Isle of Man anyone?   Take back control from Westminster.  We can have our own trade deals and control of our own borders then!

Yes, of course, on occasion in ancient history, prior to the UK. But in the context of a thread in the international section which is about Brexit, only the mischievous would take issue with the use of the personal pronoun  "we" to indicate the British side.

To answer your question, I don't think many would aspire to an independent Isle of Man. Think of the implications.

You said that ‘we and the French have called each other names for centuries’ - surely ‘we’ in that sense can only be the English, not also the Scottish, Irish, Manx and Welsh? I might be completely wrong, and I do like France a lot, but I thought it was only the English that have a problem with the French (and with just about everyone else). If I’m wrong then I’m genuinely surprised that those sentiments are so widespread.

Edited by Freggyragh

9 hours ago, woolley said:

Yes, of course, on occasion in ancient history, prior to the UK. But in the context of a thread in the international section which is about Brexit, only the mischievous would take issue with the use of the personal pronoun  "we" to indicate the British side.

You were the one that referred to "centuries" which in human terms can hardly be considered ancient history. 

9 hours ago, woolley said:

To answer your question, I don't think many would aspire to an independent Isle of Man. Think of the implications.

The irony....

1 hour ago, manxman1980 said:

The irony....

What irony? You cannot be comparing the ability of the 5th largest economy in the world to stand outside the EU with the total independence of the IOM. Although it is typical of the superficial thinking behind most pro EU propaganda. And now I really am out of this thread until something actually happens. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, woolley said:

The ‘English’ did not exist in ancient history. The concept of ‘English’ didn’t exist until the mass immigration from Germany, Denmark and Holland,  which happened after the fall of Rome. The Kingdom of England only dates from the tenth century. 

I’m not convinced, but the implications of an independent Isle of Man as a Member of the EU look better by the day, and people are talking about it. 

Edited by Freggyragh
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Freggyragh said:

The ‘English’ did not exist in ancient history. The concept of ‘English’ didn’t exist until the mass immigration from Germany, Denmark and Holland,  which happened after the fall of Rome. The Kingdom of England only dates from the tenth century. 

I’m not convinced, but the implications of an independent Isle of Man as a Member of the EU look better by the day, and people are talking about it. 

Last time EU membership was looked at it was found that the Island has not the resources to be as they call it "Acquis" …..

So far as I am aware the IOM could not join until it achieved the strength necessary to be in the Euro zone which is compulsory for new applicants.

Also, the Island would first have to become independent and cease to be a Crown Dependency...

And at the end of the day the pending and more aggressive policy on tax havens would apply....This why Brexit has been engineered along with doubts as to the UK being suitable for inclusion in a Federal EU.

So overall the Island does not qualify and has nothing to offer the EU ...

The Island is just a smaller image of Britain overall. Indeed it has been known to boast about it. The Island is Britain in miniature and would experience exactly the same stresses as does the UK at this time with the added problem of gaining independence before anything could be commenced. 

I believe the UK would be very grateful if the Island voted for independence....Like another kid off your hands and left home

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acquis_communautaire