So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

The U.K. government’s own assessment says that a hard partition border will have to be imposed in Ireland in the event of no-deal. That also means no US trade deal as even if Trump survives his coming recession Congress will block it. ‘Poor little us’ benefit from the Single Market in many more ways than just access to  life-saving medicine, food and fuel. Pretending otherwise is farcical, and much as I understand your point about presenting a united front, it just isn’t rational to promote the idea of wrecking your country even further in the vain hope that the EU will therefore give in to UK demands to wreck the peace in Ireland. Mind you, you have to hand it to Johnson et al - they’ve not just managed to get the English to vote away their pensions and healthcare to protect the financial elite, they’ve had groups of peasants marching on London to demand it and making fools of themselves on the internet; mistaking Donald Tusk for Joseph Stalin, advisory notes from a Council meeting for a dictator’s orders, use of Ode to Joy as a pleasantly neutral addition to an opening ceremony for forced singing of Das Horst Wessel Lied, etc, etc. 

One thing that I find strange about a return to a hard Irish border is the brexiter's complete rejection that it will become necessary.

Are these not the very same voters that clamoured for all UK borders to be locked down to keep 77 million Turks (yep, that's all of them) out that Haw-Haw tried (and succeeded with half the population) to frighten us about on TV just before the referendum plus all those refugees in his chilling 'breaking point' poster? Unfortunately I can't find any reference to this particular border in his sermons before the vote. 

There is no doubt in my mind that immigration issues (and Cummins' bus) swung the result yet brexiters demand that the the open border in Ireland stays open.

I am well aware that the CTA only applies to British and Irish residents but how are you going to determine in they are in that group or one of the, say, 77m Turks? Could be tricky....

Edited by ballaughbiker
before the vote

40 minutes ago, ballaughbiker said:

One thing that I find strange about a return to a hard Irish border is the brexiter's complete rejection that it will become necessary.

ireland has already released its plan......it doesn't have a hard border with no deal........

14 minutes ago, woody2 said:

ireland has already released its plan......it doesn't have a hard border with no deal........

Ireland says the issue is a unilateral EU matter and not down to any one country and the EU cannot be seen sacrificing a small member nation. It will be a collective decision whenever it comes hence so far the big EU beasts refuse Johnson's blandishments viewing them mainly designed for UK domestic consumption in preparation for a general election..We will have to see what happens in the Commons in September when a fudge or compromise may be possible...

1 hour ago, ballaughbiker said:

Are these not the very same voters that clamoured for all UK borders to be locked down to keep 77 million Turks (yep, that's all of them) out that Haw-Haw tried (and succeeded with half the population) to frighten us about on TV just before the referendum plus all those refugees in his chilling 'breaking point' poster? Unfortunately I can't find any reference to this particular border in his sermons. 

There is no doubt in my mind that immigration issues (and Cummins' bus) swung the result yet brexiters demand that the the open border in Ireland stays open.

I am well aware that the CTA only applies to British and Irish residents but how are you going to determine in they are in that group or one of the, say, 77m Turks? Could be tricky....

So they need some form of sustenance. If they are illegal it will come to light when they apply for work or try to claim benefits. Then they can be deported. I appreciate there would be a number involved in criminality or working in the black market economy,  but that is a law enforcement issue.