So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

2 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

Of course not don't be so silly.

I do believe, however, that his grandson is much more likely to be able to speak for what Churchill's view would have actually been.  Farage, Johnson et al certainly cannot claim to speak on Churchill's behalf and should stop referencing him.

you'll find its the remoans and eu that have misused churchills views.........

Edited by woody2
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, woolley said:

Silly? Well you started it by suggesting that because Soames votes a certain way it is somehow indicative of how Churchill would vote and what he would think. Nobody can be sure that they speak on Churchill's behalf any more than they can tell how Soames would have conducted WW2. It's all pointless rhetoric. I believe Churchill would be appalled by the reach of the EU today, but I can't be sure and neither can anyone who believes the opposite. I don't even know that having Churchill in your corner, or Thatcher, or Sir Francis Drake would validate an opinion particularly.

A well reasoned approach.  Just a shame others will not refrain from speaking nonsense on behalf of the deceased.

What I will say is that I am much more confident that I would know my grandfathers thoughts on this than people who never met him.  Whether that would influence my own personal view I could not say but I would be pissed off at those using my grandfathers names in support of their own views.

39 minutes ago, woody2 said:

you'll find its the remoans and eu that have misused churchills views.........

Knew him personally did you?  

You will find that people have used various quotes to support their views or criticise another's.  You cannot claim any knowledge of how he would have viewed the matter and neither would I. 

10 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

I thought it had been postponed?

There is a review conveniently timed to report at the end of the year after the election. In the meantime it gets the hopes up of all of those voters in the home counties with blighted mansions who think that it will be scrapped when the independent review reports back to the government. Clever.

It might be slowed down a bit in both speed of the eventual trains and delivery of the project to spread it over a longer fiscal period, but it actually needs to be done in terms of national infrastructure. Outside chance that they might change the route to go along the existing railway/motorway corridor. Another outside chance that it may never get north of Birmingham, or conversely they might decide to start in the north first.

6 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

You will find that people have used various quotes to support their views or criticise another's.  You cannot claim any knowledge of how he would have viewed the matter and neither would I. 

It's a bit like Nostradamus. No doubt he had views on the subject too.

8 minutes ago, woolley said:

It's a bit like Nostradamus. No doubt he had views on the subject too.

Apparently so;

Century VIII, Quatrain 15:

Great exertions towards the North by a man-woman
to vex Europe and almost all the Universe.
The two eclipses will be put into such a rout
that they will reinforce life or death for the Hungarians. 

10 minutes ago, woolley said:

There is a review conveniently timed to report at the end of the year after the election. In the meantime it gets the hopes up of all of those voters in the home counties with blighted mansions who think that it will be scrapped when the independent review reports back to the government. Clever.

It might be slowed down a bit in both speed of the eventual trains and delivery of the project to spread it over a longer fiscal period, but it actually needs to be done in terms of national infrastructure. Outside chance that they might change the route to go along the existing railway/motorway corridor. Another outside chance that it may never get north of Birmingham, or conversely they might decide to start in the north first.

Never mind the numbers living in poverty good tories always always always vote with their wallets.

I give you totally amoral narcissistic serial philanderer and inveterate liar Boris Johnson PM.....

Edited by P.K.

20 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

i never did........you did when you referred to his grandson...........churchill also lost the whip........

16 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Never mind the numbers living in poverty good tories always always always vote with their wallets.

Surely everyone votes with their wallet. Aren't militant union members who vote Labour voting with their wallets? They are voting for their own advantage.

There will always be poverty because it is defined as a percentage of the average income. So whatever the average income rises to, it will drag people on half of that into relative poverty.

I appreciate that there are some people in absolute poverty, but they are comparatively few in number. Relative poverty is not really poverty in the traditional sense of the word. You can be driving a car and have satellite tv and all manner of modern conveniences and still be classed as in poverty. Coupled with the fact that their are legions of people who are clueless at running their own budget and nourishing themselves properly. Did you see the news about the youngster who went blind after a 10 year diet of chips and crisps? That''s not poverty. That's willful neglect.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1