So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

6 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

I have not read the Scottish Sun (still under common ownership) to compare that to the England/Wales version and the Irish version.  Once again you miss the point which is the same information, presented by the same newspaper group reads very differently in the Irish edition and England/Wales edition.  

As it does on any contentious issue. Hardly a revelation. It's about selling papers. The Sun and facts shouldn't be appearing in the same sentence. Gives the lie to all of the press influence stuff when the same owners are saying different things to different markets. 

9 hours ago, woolley said:

Just countering the hysteria on the other side of the argument. Nothing to do with Johnson.

The "hysteria" indeed.

Laughable!

Next thing you'll be claiming we'll get our illusory sovereignty back when, as Gina Miller proved so successfully in the Article 50 farrago, the only organisation that can make UK law is our own sovereign parliament - NOT the executive.

The other day a brexiteer mentioned the EU Army leaving me thinking if that's their best shot then they've run out of so-called arguments....

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

It does not surprise me.

It is propaganda pure and simple designed to influence the readership and promote sales of the newspapers.  What some on here do not seem to appreciate is that the same events are being portrayed in very different ways depending on where the newspaper wants to sell it

It's either to sell papers or it's propaganda. If it gives out mixed messages in different places then surely it's the former. Telling them what they want to hear. 

8 minutes ago, woody2 said:

you miss the point.......no "uk edition" as you say.......

I have now acknowledge the Scottish edition which was simply an oversight as I have not read it because I do not read the Sun.

as for your other point aren't they just targeting a story at a particular market.......

Yes, they are - a market that they know will only respond to certain stories.  The Irish want an anti-brexit bias and England/Wales want a pro-brexit bias meaning the same facts are twisted to suit the needs of the paper (or other media outlet as required)

more worryingly who reads the sun.........

Not me but it seems plenty of other people still do.  

8 minutes ago, woolley said:

As it does on any contentious issue. Hardly a revelation. It's about selling papers. The Sun and facts shouldn't be appearing in the same sentence. Gives the lie to all of the press influence stuff when the same owners are saying different things to different markets. 

The owners are interested in shifting papers/clicks on websites and around brexit about protecting their fortunes.  The facts should remain the same and yet I doubt you could get any media outlet to give you the basic facts of the events in Luxembourg. 

Yes, I know the press has only a passing relationship with the truth.  So do many of the other news outlets.  We live in times where investigative journalism is dead and the focus is on consumerism and what will generate income. 

8 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

It is propaganda pure and simple designed to influence the readership and promote sales of the newspapers.  What some on here do not seem to appreciate is that the same events are being portrayed in very different ways depending on where the newspaper wants to sell its stories. 

Sheltered life? It has always been so. Since the advent of the printing-press. 

11 minutes ago, P.K. said:

The "hysteria" indeed.

Laughable!

Next thing you'll be claiming we'll get our illusory sovereignty back when, as Gina Miller proved so successfully in the Article 50 farrago, the only organisation that can make UK law is our own sovereign parliament - NOT the executive.

The other day a brexiteer mentioned the EU Army leaving me thinking if that's their best shot then they've run out of so-called arguments....

you clearly forget about the 40000 eu laws and regulations forced on the uk.......

51 minutes ago, woody2 said:

is anybody bothered about the supreme court outcome?...........seems a bit pointless........

although the gall of john major who prorogued parliament for political reasons........

he also removed the whip from those that voted against him.....

He also nailed Edwina Currie for years which should bar him from any claim to rational judgment about anything. 

11 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

I have now acknowledge the Scottish edition which was simply an oversight as I have not read it because I do not read the Sun.

Yes, they are - a market that they know will only respond to certain stories.  The Irish want an anti-brexit bias and England/Wales want a pro-brexit bias meaning the same facts are twisted to suit the needs of the paper (or other media outlet as required)

Not me but it seems plenty of other people still do.  

The owners are interested in shifting papers/clicks on websites and around brexit about protecting their fortunes.  The facts should remain the same and yet I doubt you could get any media outlet to give you the basic facts of the events in Luxembourg. 

Yes, I know the press has only a passing relationship with the truth.  So do many of the other news outlets.  We live in times where investigative journalism is dead and the focus is on consumerism and what will generate income. 

guardian.......hysteria......clicks ........revenue........

46 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

It does not surprise me.

It is propaganda pure and simple designed to influence the readership and promote sales of the newspapers.  What some on here do not seem to appreciate is that the same events are being portrayed in very different ways depending on where the newspaper wants to sell its stories.  

Maybe Johnson also knew that the pro-brexit press would be sympathetic to him in the circumstances and therefore saw very little risk in skipping the event.

from the comments of germany and the eu.......they support bj's stance about this set-up.......