So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

3 hours ago, The Lurker said:

Do you believe the guff about the Eu army too?

Of course they do!

Along with regaining the sovereignty we never lost, taking back control of our borders that we always had and being able to give an extra £350m a week to the NHS instead of letting the tories fail to fund it appropriately.

Ah yes. The Forces. The glamour of the uniform.

I can see the EU recruitment sergeants having no problems at all ....

EU_Plank.thumb.jpg.5b6daf9453c16b1d924c77a6820a21ef.jpg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, manxman1980 said:

It can be answered... you just don't want to.

I can name UK legislation that I disagree with and think should be reviewed and amended (these are not covered by EU rules) for example the 70 mph speed limit on motorways.  Modern cars have better brakes and better tyres and that speed limit could be safely increased but the UK Government has shown no appetite to do it.

I don't agree with the legislation on fixed odds betting terminals.  They need to but much more controlled.

It's easy...  

As for EU legislation and regulations, my main objections is their treatment of the Isle of Man and constantly targeting the Island as a tax haven.  The fact that we can probably all name some millionaire/billionaire who claims to be resident here for tax purposes and that you can find several tiny offices all of which have five or six companies listed as being there mean there might be something in it after all. 

What I do like is being able to travel easily around Europe with minimum disruption.  I like the ability, even with the Isle of Man not being an EU member, to go and work in other EU countries without the need for work permits and visa's even though we make EU nationals apply for them here in the Island.  

You are an intelligent guy Woolley.  I am sure you can think of something that the EU are doing right now (not imaginary EU armies and a federal states of Europe) which you are looking forward to the UK Government repealing.

Yes. But if we get into that then the debate moves on to which EU laws and directives are actually rather good, and how we can improve on the ones that are not so good. Before we know it, we have accepted by default the premise that the EU should be making law for us, which we are perfectly capable of making for ourselves. A trading bloc I don't have a problem with. The EU is far more than that as I have set out here on very many occasions.

27 minutes ago, woolley said:

Yes. But if we get into that then the debate moves on to which EU laws and directives are actually rather good, and how we can improve on the ones that are not so good. Before we know it, we have accepted by default the premise that the EU should be making law for us, which we are perfectly capable of making for ourselves. A trading bloc I don't have a problem with. The EU is far more than that as I have set out here on very many occasions.

The "premise" that the EU should be making law for us?

Well posted Woolster, you just rubbished your own "regain our sovereignty" argument! If we have yet to accept the "premise" then as you yourself have pointed out it has yet to happen!

Classic!

It was the picture of the EU Plank that put you off I'm sure...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

And on that point UK citizens can wave goodbye to the E111 European Health Insurance Card come brexit. 

That’s the very least of my concerns, I think I can afford EU health insurance for short trips. I’m worried about the financial elite getting out of paying their share of tax to fund social commitments like state pensions, social services, schools, roads and the NHS. I don’t think they’re genuine xenophobes as most, if not all of them are very cosmopolitan and have dual nationality, overseas companies, properties and bank accounts - but they’re smart enough to know that they can play the bigots to get what they want. Farage for instance clearly laughs his socks off every time he meets salt of the earth brexit loons. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Freggyragh said:

That’s the very least of my concerns, I think I can afford EU health insurance for short trips. I’m worried about the financial elite getting out of paying their share of tax to fund social commitments like state pensions, social services, schools, roads and the NHS. I don’t think they’re genuine xenophobes as most, if not all of them are very cosmopolitan and have dual nationality, overseas companies, properties and bank accounts - but they’re smart enough to know that they can play the bigots to get what they want. Farage for instance clearly laughs his socks off every time he meets salt of the earth brexit loons. 

name one.......

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

The "premise" that the EU should be making law for us?

Well posted Woolster, you just rubbished your own "regain our sovereignty" argument! If we have yet to accept the "premise" then as you yourself have pointed out it has yet to happen!

Classic!

It was the picture of the EU Plank that put you off I'm sure...

No context comprehension whatsoever.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, woolley said:

.A trading bloc I don't have a problem with. The EU is far more than that as I have set out here on very many occasions.

Labour and work is inextricably part of trade.

Stopping us being able to easily work in the EU without special paperwork clearly restricts our ability to win contacts, service clients etc.

Within cross border companies and multinationals it is already restricting the ability of British people to apply for positions. Those positions are going to people with EU citizenship, dual nationality etc

Edited by pongo

10 minutes ago, pongo said:

Labour and work is inextricably part of trade.

Stopping us being able to easily work in the EU without special paperwork clearly restricts our ability to win contacts, service clients etc.

Within cross border companies and multinationals it is already restricting the ability of British people to apply for positions. Those positions are going to people with EU citizenship, dual nationality etc

not finding that at all.......