So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

Just now, P.K. said:

Personal insults and it's not even lunchtime.

Not my fault your whinging about the QT panel choice is based on a false premise.

Which reminds me....

It wasn’t really a personal insult. You were accused of ‘knob-endery’, not of being a knob-end. Many of us are guilty of knob-endery, or behaving like a knob-end from time to time, particularly when football is involved. The target of quilp’s post was your claim that living standards will fall in the event of brexit. That’s highly debatable, and depends on your viewpoint. The loss of so much free trade and the increase in bureaucracy, tariff and non-tariff barriers will, in most reasonable calculations, mean brakes on growth and possibly a fall in GDP. It doesn’t follow that this will lower standards of living - there might be areas of life that improve, although, try as I might, I can’t get a brexshitter to explain what that might be. 

4 minutes ago, Freggyragh said:

It wasn’t really a personal insult. You were accused of ‘knob-endery’, not of being a knob-end. Many of us are guilty of knob-endery, or behaving like a knob-end from time to time, particularly when football is involved. The target of quilp’s post was your claim that living standards will fall in the event of brexit. That’s highly debatable, and depends on your viewpoint. The loss of so much free trade and the increase in bureaucracy, tariff and non-tariff barriers will, in most reasonable calculations, mean brakes on growth and possibly a fall in GDP. It doesn’t follow that this will lower standards of living - there might be areas of life that improve, although, try as I might, I can’t get a brexshitter to explain what that might be. 

the loss of 12000 eu tariffs from imports from the rest of the world.....

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Freggyragh said:

Quilp knows the projections just like everyone else.

As per he's just trying to start a pissing contest and I decided a while ago I wasn't going to indulge him.

"there might be areas of life that improve, although, try as I might, I can’t get a brexshitter to explain what that might be...."

Quite. There are pages and pages on the downside to brexit but on the upside there are just vague mentions of illusory sovereignty that we never lost, control of our borders that we've always had and more cash to the NHS/Welfare that was unnecessarily cut by the government under the guise of "austerity".

It's hard to see an upside....

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, P.K. said:

No I don't.

As per he's just trying to start a pissing contest and I decided a while ago I wasn't going to indulge him.

No I'm not. 

Must try harder... 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, P.K. said:

"there might be areas of life that improve, although, try as I might, I can’t get a brexshitter to explain what that might be...."

Quite. There are pages and pages on the downside to brexit but on the upside there are just vague mentions of illusory sovereignty that we never lost, control of our borders that we've always had and more cash to the NHS/Welfare that was unnecessarily cut by the government under the guise of "austerity".

It’s hard to see an upside if your upsides are all concerned with general material prosperity, cheap travel, cultural diversity, state pensions, state education and accessible healthcare  - all of which rely on an economic model that is causing terrible harm to the planet, might well be unsustainable, and encourages the population to shun personal responsibility for their families and communities. Just a thought, but a bit of negative growth might have some upsides you haven’t considered. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Freggyragh said:

It’s hard to see an upside if your upsides are all concerned with general material prosperity, cheap travel, cultural diversity, state pensions, state education and accessible healthcare  - all of which rely on an economic model that is causing terrible harm to the planet, might well be unsustainable, and encourages the population to shun personal responsibility for their families and communities. Just a thought, but a bit of negative growth might have some upsides you haven’t considered. 

The issue I have with that is that those with the least always get hurt the most.

A crucial measure of a civilisation is how well they look after their most disadvantaged citizens.

Tory austerity = Fail.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, P.K. said:

The issue I have with that is that those with the least always get hurt the most.

A crucial measure of a civilisation is how well they look after their most disadvantaged citizens.

Tory austerity = Fail.

Strange that so many disadvantaged immigrants seem to see it as a land of shining opportunity then, isn't it? So much so that they will risk life and limb to reach it.

16 minutes ago, woolley said:

Strange that so many disadvantaged immigrants seem to see it as a land of shining opportunity then, isn't it? So much so that they will risk life and limb to reach it.

Or perhaps it's because they have been displaced from their home countries by war or economic issues and feel it is easier to live and work in the UK as they often speak English as a second language.  

The curse of Empire teaching the world to speak English! 

13 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Or perhaps it's because they have been displaced from their home countries by war or economic issues and feel it is easier to live and work in the UK as they often speak English as a second language.  

The curse of Empire teaching the world to speak English! 

I'm quite sure that this is true in some cases, however many have little English on arrival. All have passed through multiple safe countries on the way and some actually have better French than English! But if the country was such purgatory for the disadvantaged as PK is advising us, why would any disadvantaged person go through hell and high water to reach it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, woolley said:

I'm quite sure that this is true in some cases, however many have little English on arrival. All have passed through multiple safe countries on the way and some actually have better French than English! But if the country was such purgatory for the disadvantaged as PK is advising us, why would any disadvantaged person go through hell and high water to reach it?

Nothing at all to do with UK being a soft touch when it comes to handouts...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Illegals do not get handouts or benefits unless they claim asylum. Then they get a little help but not much. Many illegals vanish into the black economy working for those migrants established here often hiding on business premises. If they can hang on for 14 years they get made legal anyway. There are many jobs where employers are not too fussy about employing illegals and I know of many old folk who will happily employ an illegal as a carer on cut price terms. 

https://www.gov.uk/asylum-support/what-youll-get

28 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

But the UK doesn't have to be; any member state can deport someone who after three months of arriving has no means of support; they just chose not to.

Try going to Belgium without any money in the bank and no job and see how far you get.

It is not the EU's fault that successive British governments couldn't be arsed to deal with EU immigrants that don't work or perhaps the number was so low that it wasn't economically viable to deport?