So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

fatshaft

4 hours ago, quilp said:

To ever get on in this world one has to also read stuff one doesn't like, or agree with. Communist? I think you'll find Spiked has changed somewhat. Even in the short time I've been reading it.

Whatever...

I get on fine without ever reading the Sun, or extreme right-wing content written by ex-communists such as Spiked. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Freggyragh said:

I get on fine without ever reading the Sun, or extreme right-wing content written by ex-communists such as Spiked. 

I guess that means you don't read Guido either:

"Guido is conventionally described as a right-wing blog, which is accurate enough in that the politics underpinning it is of the libertarian right – hostile to the euro, the unions, high taxes, high salaries in the public sector and the whole "liberal establishment". Under his own name, Staines has launched a Downing Street petition to restore the death penalty, which is not yet a quarter of the way to its target of 100,000 signatures and has been overtaken by a counter-petition to retain the ban on hanging. 

"There are a lot of angry people about who think that everyone in public life is a hypocrite and/or a crook, and want to see their failings exposed and egos punctured. It is to that audience that the Guido Fawkes blog appeals."

Staines also keeps a site that is a big Boris supporter. Why am I not surprised....

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I guess that means you don't read Guido either:

"Guido is conventionally described as a right-wing blog, which is accurate enough in that the politics underpinning it is of the libertarian right – hostile to the euro, the unions, high taxes, high salaries in the public sector and the whole "liberal establishment". Under his own name, Staines has launched a Downing Street petition to restore the death penalty, which is not yet a quarter of the way to its target of 100,000 signatures and has been overtaken by a counter-petition to retain the ban on hanging. 

"There are a lot of angry people about who think that everyone in public life is a hypocrite and/or a crook, and want to see their failings exposed and egos punctured. It is to that audience that the Guido Fawkes blog appeals."

Staines also keeps a site that is a big Boris supporter. Why am I not surprised....

the independent is a far left outlet that doesn't like democracy owned by a russian.......:rolleyes:

"The emphasis on views, not news, means that the reporting is rather thin"

Have to say I am quite surprised that Johnson proroguing parliament, which is a really major issue, generated so little activity on here. Apart, that is, from some disparaging remarks about Gina Miller from the usual suspects thus:

On 8/29/2019 at 10:49 AM, woolley said:

All she achieved last time was to give the triggering of A50 the force of parliament. Should be in the all time top 10 of heroic failures. Let us hope she manages something equally hilariously unintended this time. 

On 8/29/2019 at 1:09 PM, quilp said:

She's getting desperate...

Plus comparisons with John Major's proroguing parliament for two weeks with accusations of "cash for questions" swirling about are a totally meaningless. "Cash for questions" was just some grubby individuals allegedly receiving small amounts of vulgar money to play the system. The issue we are currently facing is going to change the whole of the UK for probably decades to come. Our prosperity as a nation will be on the line. Talk about different leagues!

Anyway I'm wondering if the lack of comment prior to the judges' ruling is because the issue has been misunderstood and the nonsense from the UK rabid right wing press, which is to say pretty much all of it, has been taken at face value. That folks actually believe that it's proroguing parliament for only five or six days more than usual or whatever the sop to the stupid is.

Nothing could be further from the truth. To focus the mind here is the current schedule:

Brexit_Calendar.thumb.png.0c6cdf8aa3ef3c92ef55b786a877f6be.png

The way the conference season actually works is that the Prime Minister tables a motion for the recess required. For this year from 13th Sept to 8th October. The MP's then vote on it.

Johnson did not table a motion for a recess. As per usual the Whips went round the troops to inquire about their voting intentions and twist a few arms as necessary. With such momentous issues on the table, time so short and nobody trusting Boris Johnson further than they could throw a steamroller there was no way they were ever going to approve the recess. The Whips duly reported same so in order to sideline our sovereign parliament Johnson prorogued parliament for an unprecedented five weeks.

So the issue for the judges is can a PM sideline our sovereign government in order for him to railroad his personal agenda through without sufficient parliamentary scrutiny?

If the judges find for the executive then our democracy is really bolloxed. The PM's gift of being able to prorogue our sovereign parliament, seemingly on a whim, basically sidelines the MP's whenever the PM feels like it.

Make of that as you will....

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, P.K. said:

Have to say I am quite surprised that Johnson proroguing parliament, which is a really major issue, generated so little activity on here. Apart, that is, from some disparaging remarks about Gina Miller from the usual suspects thus:

Plus comparisons with John Major's proroguing parliament for two weeks with accusations of "cash for questions" swirling about are a totally meaningless. "Cash for questions" was just some grubby individuals allegedly receiving small amounts of vulgar money to play the system. The issue we are currently facing is going to change the whole of the UK for probably decades to come. Our prosperity as a nation will be on the line. Talk about different leagues!

Anyway I'm wondering if the lack of comment prior to the judges' ruling is because the issue has been misunderstood and the nonsense from the UK rabid right wing press, which is to say pretty much all of it, has been taken at face value. That folks actually believe that it's proroguing parliament for only five or six days more than usual or whatever the sop to the stupid is.

Nothing could be further from the truth. To focus the mind here is the current schedule:

Brexit_Calendar.thumb.png.0c6cdf8aa3ef3c92ef55b786a877f6be.png

The way the conference season actually works is that the Prime Minister tables a motion for the recess required. For this year from 13th Sept to 8th October. The MP's then vote on it.

Johnson did not table a motion for a recess. As per usual the Whips went round the troops to inquire about their voting intentions and twist a few arms as necessary. With such momentous issues on the table, time so short and nobody trusting Boris Johnson further than they could throw a steamroller there was no way they were ever going to approve the recess. The Whips duly reported same so in order to sideline our sovereign parliament Johnson prorogued parliament for an unprecedented five weeks.

So the issue for the judges is can a PM sideline our sovereign government in order for him to railroad his personal agenda through without sufficient parliamentary scrutiny?

If the judges find for the executive then our democracy is really bolloxed. The PM's gift of being able to prorogue our sovereign parliament, seemingly on a whim, basically sidelines the MP's whenever the PM feels like it.

Make of that as you will....

so when passing the benn law, why didn't mp's ban proroguing parliament.........:rolleyes:

why did they also vote for a long summer holiday if they have so much work to do......:rolleyes:

On 9/21/2019 at 1:30 PM, Freggyragh said:

Sorry Quilp, not ever going to click on a ‘spiked’ link: Revolutionary Communist Party lunatics, wealthy perma-student- Scargillites - now made it big by joining Farage. 

The RCP were never Scargillites. They opposed the 1984 miners' strike.

In all of their various shape-shifting political disguises they remain contrarian iconoclasts. They like to try on ideas and stances.

I believe that they see themselves as something like a vanguard - in the Marxist Leninist sense. It's always the same core group. But I'm not convinced they actually have any beliefs.

--

Completely separately - at least one Brexit Party Ltd Parliamentary candidate (if they are run) is a Corbyn supporting recently ex SWP firebrand. The SWP hated the RCP.

Edited by pongo