Tynwald Day 2005

teapot

Despite the awful weather (but what joy watching the great and the good getting a soaking!!!!) - would just like to mention the firework display. Fantastic - congratulations to whoever organised that, it was tremendous, and also, fair play to the pipers who played at the end of the night - it was still raining (a bit) and must have been really cold - so well done to them!!! :)

The rain was fantastic, that'll learn em! It was justice for a year of bad Government.

And only 6 bills for the past year - wtf do we pay these people for?

Fireworks were good, and I think the Pipers got bigger cheers than they would on a dry day just for playing in the rain!

hehe I had Monday off and spent the day basking in sunshine in St Johns.

Even worse, it was nice today!

With that huge screen over for Tynwald 2005, it's shameful they didn't get it up for Live 8!

I was sensible enough to check the weather forecast first, so I didn’t go to Tynwald this year. I was, however, at the Tynwald Garden Party at the Nunnery on Sunday and able to view the ‘great and the good’ mingling with their ‘subjects,’ sipping their cups of tea or glasses of orange juice and delicately nibbling their sandwiches.

I couldn’t help looking at the main building and thinking what a perfect setting it would make for an old-fashioned scenario:

A man sits at a desk in the library; there is a sheet of paper in front of him on which, in a neat, rounded hand, he has written a full confession of his misdeeds. Satisfied that it is correct, he picks up the loaded revolver and places it against his temple. There is the sound of a single, loud report…

Someone else rushes in, sees what has happened and reads the confession. With a sigh, he checks that there is still ammunition in the pistol, takes out another piece of paper… and begins to write….

(Incidentally, I was asked by one MHK whether I normally attend the Garden Party and I told him “No, I’m one of those who normally just pay for it!”

Lonan3 - I too was at the garden party - if enough of the forum were there we could have had a forum meeting! Overheard in the food queue - sandwiched (!) between Adrian Earnshaw and Allan Bell - AE here's the fella that's paying for all this - AB make the most of it there won't be enough to pay for it next year. Me - sorry I thought you were talking to me, I'm the fella that's paying for all this aren't I.

Proceeded to eat my share of my income tax payment!! :rolleyes:

Totally agree with Beckett - why didn't we have that big screen for Live8 it really bad that we couldn't take part. Could have had a screen at the Bowl - it is still there isn't it?

LOL was talking to John Kennaugh, one of the cpt's of the Parish, and he commented that the worst bit of the day was sitting in a puddle of water and warming it up, then as soon as the national anthem started, he had to stand up, and got cold again!!

Archived