BBC reporting of TT rider's death

Max Power

You keep trying to prove unsuccessfully that Cretney wanted to cover up the risks of road racing.

I think its the gruesome consequences that people try to hide.( and always tried to)

The fact that the racing is a spectator sport and to a large extent publicly funded, I think people do have the right to know what happens. I also think whilst gruesome, the full details will hopefully also inform partners and children of the competitors.

If we are given the right to find out what goes on in just about every Gov department (FOI) we should equally have the complete picture of what happens in the Gov. run TT Races.

Racing deaths are a different kettle of fish to an RTC death as nobody is paying to see it or funding the equally sad crash.

Just my opinion, but I think shared by many others.

• Like 1

Because I'm not Teapot

Cretney didn't want to cover up the risk that people can die riding bikes or road racing them.

What he didn't want publishing (and I agree with the principal of it) is a list of the guys injuries. It's irrelevant and adds nothing. It doesn't suddenly make bikes " more dangerous" does it?

Someone died over here a while back in a road accident. They were ejected from the car and the car landed on them. It wasn't reported. Why should it be?

The idea of the inquest in this case was to establish what caused the accident that led the the riders death. In this case it was a tyre failure that resulted in a huge crash at a high speed that resulted in death. I don't see how reporting whether someone's heart and lungs were ripped out etc as being necessary or helpful to anyone. Surely you can see this?

Cretney didn't seek to hide that someone had died in a road racing accident. He didn't seek to hide the risks of bike racing or riding (the initial accusation ). He sought to have some irrelevant and unnecessary information removed from a report.

You do see the difference right?

Edited by notwell
  • Like 1

You keep trying to prove unsuccessfully that Cretney wanted to cover up the risks of road racing.

I think its the gruesome consequences that people try to hide.( and always tried to)

The fact that the racing is a spectator sport and to a large extent publicly funded, I think people do have the right to know what happens. I also think whilst gruesome, the full details will hopefully also inform partners and children of the competitors.

If we are given the right to find out what goes on in just about every Gov department (FOI) we should equally have the complete picture of what happens in the Gov. run TT Races.

Racing deaths are a different kettle of fish to an RTC death as nobody is paying to see it or funding the equally sad crash.

Public funds fund every accident dilli. Public funds pay for the emergency services to attend. The roads to be made and maintained. For the medical profession to get someone well again so they can have another accident.

Just saying

Public funds fund every accident dilli. Public funds pay for the emergency services to attend. The roads to be made and maintained. For the medical profession to get someone well again so they can have another accident.

Just saying

Sorry mate, but I see no parallel there.

The conclusion that I draw from this, assuming that the op is correct of course, is that Mr Cretney was unaware of the horrific nature of the injuries suffered by some road racers and was so shocked when the BBC report mentioned decapitation that he took to Facebook to suggest that the report be sanitised. I don't agree with him personally, I think the uncomfortable truth about the island's favourite sport should be publicised, but I can understand why he did it. It is shocking to read about it.

The BBC is an organisation staffed by the left wing arseholes that would be unemployable elsewhere.

Do not pay your tv licence.

There is no such thing as a "detector van" and if someone knocks at your door claiming to be from the tv knock them out..

• Like 1

The BBC is an organisation staffed by the left wing arseholes that would be unemployable elsewhere.

Do not pay your tv licence.

There is no such thing as a "detector van" and if someone knocks at your door claiming to be from the tv knock them out..

20.20 and already pissed.?

Edited by dilligaf
  • Like 2

Let's suppose.......

A company start a business on the Island.

It's successful and people like it, has a turnover of 30mil and profits of 3-5mil.

Unfortunately, it leads to many injuries and some deaths each year it is held.

The Govt find this unacceptable and order the company to cease trading.

Right?

• Like 1

thing is though, it's not a company.

i would make an analogy with mount everest, or how about skiing.there were 5 killed in the little austrian resort we last went to (landslide) and one of our group broke théir leg and there were many injuries elsewhere. and yet 1000s were there each week

ban skiing?

• Like 2