BBC reporting of TT rider's death

Max Power

• 1 month later...

I don't understand the shock either at the reality or at the reporting. As a motorcyclist, you are a human body traveling  at speeds far beyond what the structure of the body has evolved to survive in the event of impact. Dismemberment, decapitation and crushing are common. It does no harm at all to be reminded of this.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2017 at 1:56 PM, dilligaf said:

I think its the gruesome consequences that people try to hide.( and always tried to)

The fact that the racing is a spectator sport and to a large extent publicly funded, I think people do have the right to know what happens. I also think whilst gruesome, the full details will hopefully also inform partners and children of the competitors.

If we are given the right to find out what goes on in just about every Gov department (FOI) we should equally have the complete picture of what happens in the Gov. run TT Races.

Racing deaths are a different kettle of fish to an RTC death as nobody is paying to see it or funding the equally sad crash.

Just my opinion, but I think shared by many others.

I would have thought that it would be more productive showing the “gruesome consequences” from a road traffic accident death, as most of these are caused by public road users who think they can drive or ride, far beyond their actual capabilities, and the results can see others, as well as the actual Fangio / Hailwood wannabe, involved In said incident. There was a time when the police would get you to sit down through a video of some of these if you were caught speeding.

Whereas most spectators or racers of the sport already have a pretty good idea what can happen in a 160 to 200 mph tangle with a stone wall, and these are on closed roads with less likelihood of someone else being involved.

Just my opinion and I have no Idea if it shared by many others or what else they may think.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BeachBoy said:

I would have thought that it would be more productive showing the “gruesome consequences” from a road traffic accident death, as most of these are caused by public road users who think they can drive or ride, far beyond their actual capabilities, and the results can see others, as well as the actual Fangio / Hailwood wannabe, involved In said incident. There was a time when the police would get you to sit down through a video of some of these if you were caught speeding.

Whereas most spectators or racers of the sport already have a pretty good idea what can happen in a 160 to 200 mph tangle with a stone wall, and these are on closed roads with less likelihood of someone else being involved.

Just my opinion and I have no Idea if it shared by many others or what else they may think.

From what I have read over the last decade or so, more detail is given about the cause of death when it is a "normal" fatality on open roads, as opposed to deaths in the "races"

• 5 years later...

It's incredible really. I was chatting to one of the drivers of the first responder vehicles (whatever they are) recently who attended the Ago's Leap sidecar crashes in last year's TT event. The picture painted by this driver made references to decapitation, oblique or otherwise, seem rather quaint. Absolute horror show. Crazy. It's no surprise that Craig Doyle couldn't take any more of it. The reports from the BBC (or any other news outlet for that matter) didn't even scratch the surface. 

16 hours ago, WTF said:

it's a good job he isn't a war correspondent then .

Indeed. He should have stuck to gardening or knitting as he's obviously a bit of a coward. I can understand the desire to get in a relevant household name to be the face of the event to the wider world but perhaps in future a vetting process should be introduced to ascertain the presence of the requisite size of testicles. A visual inspection at least, but maybe cop a quick feel just to make sure. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

He should have stuck to gardening or knitting as he's obviously a bit of a coward

If he was cowardly he would have left quietly and said nothing, or he would have slated the racing after resigning to hide his cowardness

He did neither He's making himself vulnerable in a world of social media where the subscribers are so often quick to judge and to see the worst in people instead of the best.

It takes far more courage to say no than to say yes sometimes.

So, enough with you r spurious allegations designed to inflame.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

If he was cowardly he would have left quietly and said nothing, or he would have slated the racing after resigning to hide his cowardness

He did neither He's making himself vulnerable in a world of social media where the subscribers are so often quick to judge and to see the worst in people instead of the best.

It takes far more courage to say no than to say yes sometimes.

So, enough with you r spurious allegations designed to inflame.

They're not my spurious allegations, they're WTF's. 

4 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Said, by you.

If you're going to post stuff like this then at least have a balls to stand by it when you're called out.

Coward.

I'm way more of a coward than Craig Doyle. There's no way I could even look at the wife of a motorcycle racer who was oblivious to the fact that I had just heard on the Tetra or whatever, that their husband had been decapitated and nobody had told her yet. But then I suppose It's a good job I'm not a war correspondent too. I have 'a balls' to stand by that.