Terrorist bomb explodes

rmanx

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

gangland murders have never gone away, i hear the irish want a direct boat service to the eu bypassing britain, time to pull up the drawbridge and let them get on with it...

It's never time to pull up the drawbridge. Regardless of nation state, the British Islands are linked inextricably by language and history. The large numbers of people of Irish descent living in Britain, having contributed greatly to our nation, demonstrate the links.

Sheer demand for travel will ensure that transport links between the UK and Ireland continue, the market will see to that.

There are already ferry links between Ireland and the EU that bye-pass Britain, by the way, Cork to Roscoff (Brittany Ferries) and Rosslare to Cherbourg (Irish Ferries). In the light of Britain leaving the EU I can fully understand any holder of an Irish passport not wanting to pass through extra and possibly tedious passport controls.

You obviously didn't listen to the Fun Boy Three lyrics.

I've a lot of time for Terry Hall. But I would guess that he would probably agree that the 'message' of his juvenile lyrics rather pales vs the significance (metaphorical or literal, take your pick) of Bach's Matthew Passion in this context.

The IRA (in its various forms) stopped being about an independent Ireland and religious sectarianism a long time ago.

its purely an organised criminal movement now interested in making money from drugs, sex trafficking and arms trafficking.

So pretty much like all the intelligence agencies who infiltrated them then.

The IRA (in its various forms) stopped being about an independent Ireland and religious sectarianism a long time ago.

its purely an organised criminal movement now interested in making money from drugs, sex trafficking and arms trafficking.

yes, because criminals need help to be criminals...

yes, because criminals need help to be criminals...

...and the biggest criminals wear suits and drink scotch in gentleman's clubs.

You obviously didn't listen to the Fun Boy Three lyrics.

I've a lot of time for Terry Hall. But I would guess that he would probably agree that the 'message' of his juvenile lyrics rather pales vs the significance (metaphorical or literal, take your pick) of Bach's Matthew Passion in this context.
Wrong guess. In this case it does not.

Wrong guess. In this case it does not.

Don't be silly. That FBT track trivialised an important issue. And it was very weak - like bad school poetry. And it hasn't aged well at all. Compared with, say, Ghost Town, which was more subtly political and observational - and they were writing about something they knew. There was relatively little pop music which worked politically. The best examples addressed issues in a much more subtle manner. Thinking of, say, Marvin Gaye.

The Bach piece, by contrast, intelligently addresses themes around suffering and persecution in a manner which is both beautiful and profound.

Sheer demand for travel will ensure that transport links between the UK and Ireland continue, the market will see to that.

There are already ferry links between Ireland and the EU that bye-pass Britain, by the way, Cork to Roscoff (Brittany Ferries) and Rosslare to Cherbourg (Irish Ferries). In the light of Britain leaving the EU I can fully understand any holder of an Irish passport not wanting to pass through extra and possibly tedious passport controls.

For sheer convenience anyway, why would you touch Great Britain if you were travelling from Ireland to France? As you say there are direct ferry links and have been since before Britain and Ireland joined the EEC.

Archived