IRA thug dead

TheTeapot

the audacity of Tebbit, he was part of the most vicious and selfish govt this country has ever seen, head boot-boy in fact. He has no room to speak.

They paralysed his wife and murdered his friends. Tebbit's reaction is entirely understandable.

This piece in the Irish Times seems about right:

Martin McGuinness leaves behind complex legacy - Ian Paisleys widow sets right tone

But there is this too: The republican's facade occasionally slipped, revealing a callous disregard for human life

nintchdbpict000000978462.jpg?strip=all&w

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the audacity of Tebbit, he was part of the most vicious and selfish govt this country has ever seen, head boot-boy in fact. He has no room to speak.

They paralysed his wife and murdered his friends. Tebbit's reaction is entirely understandable.

He wasn't responsible for Bloody Sunday I'll grant you, but....

'Pongo' , thanks for posting,your last ref (the republicans facade) is worth noting .

According to mcguiness if my exit from Euston that day had been delayed by about a minute and I would have passed immediately adjacent to the cafe where the bomb was planted according to him that would have been entirely my own fault !

The man was IMO a murderer and a coward .

Rather strange comparison with Tebbit on evilness scale....No Tebbit fan at all but he seems almost kind compared to what this ahole did.

We'll never know if he actually killed anyone but given his status in the terrorist organisation he will have 'signed off' the murder of an elected politician, a member of the royal family, servicemen and hundreds and hundreds of innocent civilians for the cause.

Whilst 'only' two totally innocent children got killed in Warrington he was talking peace with John Major at the time and had already agreed to stop the violence. He will have known it was a possibility.

Now he's dead many are talking about him like he's a saint with muppets like Corbyn saying he was a good family man....

Good riddance I say and just pray the violence doesn't start again. It's not looking good so far.

i recommend anyone with an interest to read The Dirty War by martin dillon

On your recommendation I have been reading this book over the past few days.

The detail is often riveting. And the overall story of fascinating intrigue and treachery has become common knowledge over the quarter of a century since the book was written. Much of this history remains opens to interpretation.

And I think it is fundamentally flawed in some ways. It doesnt seem impartial and it doesn't seem to seek to understand. Even with respect to the way in which the book seems to seek to undermine the legitimacy of the civil rights movement. For me this sense is reinforced by the forward having been written by Connor Cruise OBrien who was an extremely controversial and contrarian figure by any reckoning.

I respect you for reading it pongo. Must admit i have no idea who connor cruise o'brien is but i'll check him out. There is plenty of other reading on the net though in relation to the issues raised in the book, the involvement of captain robert nairac in the miami showband killings as one instance. Plus the dirty war was recommeded by me as a starter. I can suggest more when you have finished that one.

I've enjoyed reading it, despite the subject matter. In the sense that intelligent and interesting reading is enjoyable. I read a fair amount of history and politics in general.

I have read quite a few of the books about this period. It all tends to be very anecdotal, very subjective and often, understandably, very raw. I suppose it will take many years before people are able to take a longer view. But the, more or less, state funeral was an extra-ordinary thing from any perspective.

• 1 month later...

Archived