Electronics flight ban

Tarne

Would the type of device they're worried about be capable of breaching the cargo hold? Are the holds more reinforced than the passenger area? I would guess there was some kind of reinforcement in the cargo hold but I'm basing that on nothing!

I think basically yes. They can also use automatic fire extinguishers in there without affecting people.

For any sort of bomb, it won't matter - the fuselage would come apart like paper. So it doesn't really make sense - the only thing I can think of is people hiding knives and other weapons inside shielded tablets / laptops.

It's security farce anyway, you can kill a ton of people by detonating bombs in the security hall at the airport terminal, or fire an RPG at a slow moving taxiing aircraft.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never understood why nobody's attacked a busy train with an IED or similar. How do you secure 100's/1000's of miles of track?

Perhaps no-one wants to and the threat level is artificially raised to instil fear. Let's face it, anyone at any time could kill a large number of people in a shopping mall or a moving train at rush hour by crude means. You don't need to go to great lengths to devise an elaborate electronic weapon and try to get it past all kinds of security to cause a spectacle.

Archived