Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

How many Manxies travel to Liverpool for its "cultural attractions"? As regards the Thames, it depends if you are proposing building a @£100M Dock in the Thames. Who is going to pay for it, as in where is the money going to be recovered from?

Where is the money going to be recovered from for Liverpool? Or do you think that IoMG will gift this to IoM residents for little or nothing and write off the expense as "one of those things"?

Suppose it's not £70M<£100M. Suppose it starts edging towards £130M<. Will it still be worthwhile? To proceed with this under the current criteria is a ludicrous proposition for the IoMG finances. The fact that they appear to be willingly doing it on the grounds of an unsubstantiated £40M pull out figure makes it even worse.

But from the same organisation who landed us with a £350M bill for a power station, it's hardly surprising.

I’ve certainly travelled to Liverpool for its cultural attractions.

The aforementioned Walker Gallery, The Tate, Albert Dock , musical concerts, theatre plays, the Liverpool museum, the Beatles experience, the underground war tunnels, visitted both cathedrals, taken the ferry across the Mersey, the Williamson Tunnels to name but a few. And yes I have taken in football matches, experienced different restaurants and even shopped there.

A lot of other Manxies have done the same.

I am a bit surprised at your implication.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well they’re not giving them away. They cost a pound and they aren’t the nicest properties. 
Not quite sure how that ties in with the landing stage debate

Prospective buyers have to show they have the resources to redevelop, I believe. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

The aforementioned Walker Gallery, The Tate, Albert Dock , musical concerts, theatre plays, the Liverpool museum, the Beatles experience, the underground war tunnels, visitted both cathedrals, taken the ferry across the Mersey, the Williamson Tunnels to name but a few. And yes I have taken in football matches, experienced different restaurants and even shopped there.

Thousands every year, I'm sure :rolleyes:

You haven't answered who and how you think it's going to be paid for? And what happens if it exceeds the currently quoted budgets?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Jesus. I had assumed you were a boring old fart from your posts but it turns out I had massively underestimated.

A tiny percentage of people are interested in what you are. Most want pubs and clubs and football.

I am beginning to realise why this forum is so far from representative of the real world 

31 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

That’s my understanding too. Something positive is being done, undeserving of snide comments.

How is it a snidey comment? I was just pointing out that we're spunking 100 million+ in a place that has to give away property for a £1!

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

Jesus. I had assumed you were a boring old fart from your posts but it turns out I had massively underestimated.

A tiny percentage of people are interested in what you are. Most want pubs and clubs and football.

I am beginning to realise why this forum is so far from representative of the real world 

You mean so far from representative of your world.

I too like football and pubs ( not so much clubs) but have expanded my horizons to explore other interests that I may enjoy.

Perhaps you too as you grow up will  begin to appreciate other activities which you can then pursue alongside your love of pubs, clubs and football.
This will however  require a certain level of maturity which you don’t seem to have reached yet

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

You mean so far from representative of your world.

I too like football and pubs ( not so much clubs) but have expanded my horizons to explore other interests that I may enjoy.

Perhaps you too as you grow up will  begin to appreciate other activities which you can then pursue alongside your love of pubs, clubs and football.
This will however  require a certain level of maturity which you don’t seem to have reached yet

He'll also need to like travelling alone. 

• Haha 2

On 12/19/2021 at 11:04 AM, Non-Believer said:

TBH, I think it's a bit unfair to blame any of the current Ministers at the moment, they've all only been in post for a couple of months and will still be learning the reins of their various Departments

There are several ministers who were ministers under the old government my MHK is one of those. How long do you propose we give them diplomatic immunity for? Especially Cannan who was formerly at Treasury when this fiasco was building up and being ignored. 

• Like 3

Questions for the MHKs that frequent this forum:

Did any of you receive an invitation to a presentation from DOI outlining the reasons for the additional funding (other than just headlines like COVID, BREXIT etc etc) ?? Were any detailed financial reports made known to you?

As far as I am concerned we're well beyond the acceptable limits of contract confidentiality now. It's time we were party to the detail.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

As far as I am concerned we're well beyond the acceptable limits of contract confidentiality now. It's time we were party to the detail.

I fully agree with that I’ve already written to my MHK to ask a similar question. I would encourage that people write to all those who supported it asking for their clear reasons why they supported it.