Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Is it going to have a cafe? Or like the current landing stage portakabin a couple of vending machines?

Does it need a cafe? There's literally hundreds in Liverpool itself. 

The Stena facility across the river as a 'refreshment area' whatever that is... no doubt DOI will have insisted on a champagne caviar bar.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I wonder if IOMG thought to provide an area/office where business meetings can take place, the Liverpool equivalent to the London office idea of a few years ago?

I remember Phil Gawnio talking it up as being some kind of place to hold meetings and exhibit the Isle of Man... I doubt we'll be hosting any seminars on responsible fiscal budgeting. 

Separately, why does Crookall think it's 'very important' it's ready for TT [2023], couldn't they just get a move on and have it ready ASAP for the people who are actually paying for it? The GMT

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/june-2023-until-liverpool-landing-stage-is-ready/

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

I remember Phil Gawnio talking it up as being some kind of place to hold meetings and exhibit the Isle of Man... I doubt we'll be hosting any seminars on responsible fiscal budgeting. 

Separately, why does Crookall think it's 'very important' it's ready for TT [2023], couldn't they just get a move on and have it ready ASAP for the people who are actually paying for it? The GMT

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/june-2023-until-liverpool-landing-stage-is-ready/

I guess some entrepreneurial  person could establish a year round waterfront cafe business there as well as providing for the ferry terminal passengers , it will be a very attractive with a south facing frontage that gets the sun all day , this is what would happen in Europe or the far East to maximise the revenue potential , if you look at  the current Steam packet usage then the cost ,has , and never will stack up , 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, Omobono said:

I guess some entrepreneurial  person could establish a year round waterfront cafe business there as well as providing for the ferry terminal passengers , it will be a very attractive with a south facing frontage that gets the sun all day , this is what would happen in Europe or the far East to maximise the revenue potential , if you look at  the current Steam packet usage then the cost ,has , and never will stack up , 

Its not exactly in a busy spot is it?

42 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Its not exactly in a busy spot is it?

Outside of sailing times there should be plenty of parking.

The GMT is paying a lot of money for this asset and it needs to sweat to pay it's way. Anything that generates revenue and/or stimulates positive PR for IOM can only be a good thing.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Outside of sailing times there should be plenty of parking.

The GMT is paying a lot of money for this asset and it needs to sweat to pay it's way. Anything that generates revenue and/or stimulates positive PR for IOM can only be a good thing.

Coming to an agreement with Irish Ferries for its seasonal fast craft to use the facility for a Liverpool-Dublin run would help. 

Of course, non of the other Irish Ferries will fit in the new landing stage.

Would have been high on my list of things to discuss prior to the outset of this project, would they consider sharing the cost of the build? usage of the site? Maybe they did, and Irish Ferries weren't interested...

Edited by b4mbi

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

There should be plenty of footfall from all those swish new riverside apartment blocks, it could be another Sound cafe, marketed the right way?

Those blocks aren't that new, I think, and if the inhabitants want to go out for coffee there are places that will be just as accessible already.  The Sound Cafe has a unique selling point in the view it has, while the view from the Terminal, while impressive will be shared by dozens of other places along the Mersey.

The truth is that Peel and other developers have been hoping that the Waterloo Dock area and beyond could be turned into a goldmine for decades, repeating the lucrative redevelopment of London Docklands.  But it's never really happened, Liverpool isn't London and there are easier, more attractive, more central sites in the City. 

2 hours ago, b4mbi said:

Coming to an agreement with Irish Ferries for its seasonal fast craft to use the facility for a Liverpool-Dublin run would help. 

Of course, non of the other Irish Ferries will fit in the new landing stage.

Would have been high on my list of things to discuss prior to the outset of this project, would they consider sharing the cost of the build? usage of the site? Maybe they did, and Irish Ferries weren't interested...

I wouldn't imagine the Irish Ferries have spare capacity for 2 sailings IOM to Liverpool every day would they?

If they have, they need to sell a boat quickly.

22 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I wouldn't imagine the Irish Ferries have spare capacity for 2 sailings IOM to Liverpool every day would they?

If they have, they need to sell a boat quickly.

Not coming to IOM ! a new fast craft Dublin-Liverpool route!!

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

There should be plenty of footfall from all those swish new riverside apartment blocks, it could be another Sound cafe, marketed the right way?

It could be another Costa Lotta Coffee Shop, like the one at the Sea Terminal.

• Haha 3