Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

13 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Ah understood. Its very unlikely that they would do that. Its double the distance than it is from Holyhead

but who wants to go to Holyhead?!

2 hour drive Holyhead to Liverpool, there's not much in it in terms of overall journey time Dublin to Liverpool.

Liverpool-Dublin both destinations in themselves, so maybe the market is there both ways? 

Dublin to Holyhead - 61nm  Irish ferries claiming Dublin Swift does it in 2hrs 15mins

Dublin to Liverpool  - 123nm

So roughly 4hrs 30mins to Dublin-Liverpool. which is only 15mins more than ferry to Holyhead then driving....

Sail 6:00hrs arrive 10:30hrs  - Return 20:00hrs arrive 00:30hrs ?  That's a long day trip, but possible?! Both ways with another vessel! 

Perhaps not economic though as going fast burns lots of fuel! :)

29 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

but who wants to go to Holyhead?!

2 hour drive Holyhead to Liverpool, there's not much in it in terms of overall journey time Dublin to Liverpool.

Liverpool-Dublin both destinations in themselves, so maybe the market is there both ways? 

Dublin to Holyhead - 61nm  Irish ferries claiming Dublin Swift does it in 2hrs 15mins

Dublin to Liverpool  - 123nm

So roughly 4hrs 30mins to Dublin-Liverpool. which is only 15mins more than ferry to Holyhead then driving....

Sail 6:00hrs arrive 10:30hrs  - Return 20:00hrs arrive 00:30hrs ?  That's a long day trip, but possible?! Both ways with another vessel! 

Perhaps not economic though as going fast burns lots of fuel! :)

Its an interesting thought

It also means the ferry is at sea for much longer so not sure if it would work with their programme

As a general rule ferries take the shortest route as they are expensive to run compared to road transport

5 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Outside of sailing times there should be plenty of parking.

The GMT is paying a lot of money for this asset and it needs to sweat to pay it's way. Anything that generates revenue and/or stimulates positive PR for IOM can only be a good thing.

I’m sure the islands Costa Coffee King will put a Costa in there?

From my experience of open to the general public departure areas, both aircraft and boat I don't think anyone is going to get rich trying to make this a destination eatery that would attract any  business outside the peeps that have to use it to get here. 

If there is a food outlet it will be run by a IOM gov department, like the NSC/ hospital cafes and loose a fortune, mark my words.

• Haha 1

Well, since the keel laying in December, the hull is complete and the engines are in, it looks like the ferry will be here before the Liverpool berth is ready!

https://www.steam-packet.com/blog/isle-of-man-steam-packet-company-new-vessel-progress/?fbclid=IwAR1sjQjmK-3XJ7gmW7__pChtcNoGTMoLFJwpjKmtUTxKV2krqh3vxafGhH0

They don't mess around at these shipyards in Korea, why did Britain fanny about with traditional shipbuilding after witnessing the way ships were built during WW2?

8 hours ago, Max Power said:

Well, since the keel laying in December, the hull is complete and the engines are in, it looks like the ferry will be here before the Liverpool berth is ready!

https://www.steam-packet.com/blog/isle-of-man-steam-packet-company-new-vessel-progress/?fbclid=IwAR1sjQjmK-3XJ7gmW7__pChtcNoGTMoLFJwpjKmtUTxKV2krqh3vxafGhH0

They don't mess around at these shipyards in Korea, why did Britain fanny about with traditional shipbuilding after witnessing the way ships were built during WW2?

Unions?

17 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

The Irish Ferries idea for the new terminal wouldn't work purely for the reason of the caveat that freight and large vehicles cannot use it. 

That caveat was a nonsense to sign up to at 20 million, its even more of a nonsense at 80 million ! What were they thinking ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, finlo said:

I did see somewhere that the linkspan is sized for a transit type van at the most so no visiting coaches either.

6 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Well I can't see why they would want to switch from a perfectly useable port at Holyhead which can process all kinds of vehicles for one which can't? 

I'm sure I read that it can take freight including coaches. Its more a planning/traffic issue as far as I know. Apparently it can be used in an emergency for Fright and the now boat can dock there if required.

In a memorandum to Tynwald members, the DOI said the new building would "be able to accommodate up to a maximum of 1,000 passengers and 200 checked-in vehicles and winter weekend freight, with emergency backup freight provision should Heysham Port become inaccessible".