Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

If, as you say, a Liverpool link is 'vital, then that implies an 'at any cost' solution, which seems to be what we are getting.

I would dispute your use of 'vital' in the context of day trips or even a permanent link to Liverpool.  Health services, education, emergency services, are all 'vital'.  What you describe is something that enhances life, not that is necessary to it.

Your vital requirement has diverted eye watering amounts from the things which are truly vital to our life and it is that fixed and narrow view which got us in this situation. 

Ok maybe ‘vital’ was the wrong word.

But, say you have been blessed with a full set of limbs you would not want to lose any of them, notwithstanding that having a full set is not necessary for life. 

You would be willing to pay over the odds to keep them, whilst knowing you were being taken advantage of.

It was in this context that I used the word vital. But I don’t think we need to get to hung up on that.

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Ok maybe ‘vital’ was the wrong word.

But, say you have been blessed with a full set of limbs you would not want to lose any of them, notwithstanding that having a full set is not necessary for life. 

You would be willing to pay over the odds to keep them, whilst knowing you were being taken advantage of.

It was in this context that I used the word vital. But I don’t think we need to get to hung up on that.

You need help son...

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Passing Time said:

Fully agree Gladys but we have been blessed with successive government with absolutely no business acumen

I wonder what would have happened if IOMG hadn't have stepped in to buy IOMSPCo. IOMSPCo owners would have had to negotiate themselves a deal directly with PH. And I bet they wouldn't have forked out £70+M for a solution.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Passing Time said:

You need help son...

Bearing in mind that this is the same judgement that heaped adulation and defence on Quayle and Ashford...

16 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I wonder what would have happened if IOMG hadn't have stepped in to buy IOMSPCo. IOMSPCo owners would have had to negotiate themselves a deal directly with PH. And I bet they wouldn't have forked out £70+M for a solution.

Exactly the same would have happened because this whole mess started before the Government took over the Steam Packet in April 2018.  Indeed this Manx Forums topic started in March 2017.

• 3 weeks later...

News article on the NPM this evening and a IOMG press release, saying that Liverpool City Council is part funding a new bridge connecting Princes Dock to the new Ferry Terminal. The ferry terminal is expected to open in June 2023. The total cost of the bridge apparently is £298000 of which the council will spend £200,000. Who pays the difference? Peel Ports or us mug taxpayers? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 2112 said:

News article on the NPM this evening and a IOMG press release, saying that Liverpool City Council is part funding a new bridge connecting Princes Dock to the new Ferry Terminal. The ferry terminal is expected to open in June 2023. The total cost of the bridge apparently is £298000 of which the council will spend £200,000. Who pays the difference? Peel Ports or us mug taxpayers? 

Think you only need one guess!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kopek said:

Seems like a logical solution as we are stuck with this? Easier access for foot passengers to Town Center!  The weight of those Primark items adds up!!!

its still a bloody long walk to the pierhead and on to the bus station at the Albert dock