Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Dual Irish American citizenships with Australian residency.

I always thought residency was a temporary thing. Maybe unless you are a film star

He must spend a lot of time there

https://home.kpmg/xx/en/home/insights/2022/10/flash-alert-2022-188.html#:~:text=7 An individual who is,intention of residing in Australia.

18 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I always thought residency was a temporary thing. Maybe unless you are a film star

He must spend a lot of time there

https://home.kpmg/xx/en/home/insights/2022/10/flash-alert-2022-188.html#:~:text=7 An individual who is,intention of residing in Australia.

There are all sorts of residency.

Amadeus is a German national, but he has Manx permanent residency by way of permanent right to remain.

You can be actually resident, short term, you can be tax resident, you can have more than one residency at one time. A student can be resident for electoral roll purposes at his home and term time address.

In the IoM you have to have 5 years residency to qualify for certain means tested benefits.

Remember, he was there from age 12 (1968 ) for a number of years, has an Ozzie grandmother, went to drama school there, his breakout film, Gallipoli was an Aus production in the early 80’s. Mad Max & Mad Max 2 were Australian as well.

So he probably has unrestricted Aus residency rights, but May not be tax resident.

Think he moved to Hollywood in 86.

He still seems to own property in Aus, but mainly live in USA.

8 minutes ago, John Wright said:

There are all sorts of residency.

Amadeus is a German national, but he has Manx permanent residency by way of permanent right to remain.

You can be actually resident, short term, you can be tax resident, you can have more than one residency at one time. A student can be resident for electoral roll purposes at his home and term time address.

In the IoM you have to have 5 years residency to qualify for certain means tested benefits.

Remember, he was there from age 12 (1968 ) for a number of years, has an Ozzie grandmother, went to drama school there, his breakout film, Gallipoli was an Aus production in the early 80’s. Mad Max & Mad Max 2 were Australian as well.

So he probably has unrestricted Aus residency rights, but May not be tax resident.

Think he moved to Hollywood in 86.

He still seems to own property in Aus, but mainly live in USA.

Yes interesting. You are right, tax residency and residency visa are different and also different rules in different countries. 

I always considered Aus to be one of the strictest in the world. If you get residency but then you don't reside there for at least 0.5 of a year then you lost it and had to reapply. Not sure if it's the same now and there may be exceptions based upon investment etc. 

I don't think you can have a passport based upon residency, only a visa stuck in your home passport. But again this could have changed. Good few years since I lived and worked there. 

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Chris Thomas says there's a danger the new ferry terminal won't be complete on time or on budget. So just how high are we going this tins? £99.9m is my bet.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/new-ferry-terminal-at-risk-of-not-being-completed-on-time-or-on-budget/

Is anyone really surprised . No words....thing is the question is how much over budget and how late. 

• Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, asitis said:

Infrastructure Minister Chris Thomas says the ferry terminal is the only current project that might not be completed on schedule:

So are the others , whatever they may be, on budget ? 

All the others were abandoned before they arrived at the end . Prom anyone . Also if talking about schedule you need to include costs as lots can be finished on time if you throw loads of workers at it .  

I worked in Liverpool for four years. I wonder how much of the £70 million are materials that have mysteriously disappeared off site?

Once the local outfits know that the client has an open cheque book for costs to rise stuff will be flying out the gate quicker than it goes in.

My abiding memories of Liverpool, great place, lovely people, excellent nightlife - but everybody (and I mean everybody) has some kind of scam going on.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Of course the lines of responsibility for what has gone on in this debacle are becoming (no doubt usefully, for some) scuffed and blurred, courtesy of the numbers of departed over the sheer timescale.

Gawne got us into it, gone, no longer accountable.

Harmer followed, gone, no longer accountable.

Then Baker, gone, no longer accountable.

Nick Black, gone, no longer accountable.

Any other CS involved who have taken their leave of this since 2015, gone, no longer accountable.

I don't believe that Chris Thomas has been in post long enough to shoulder much responsibility for this poison chalice.

In fact the only people who are going to be left with the baby are the taxpayers.

Edited by Non-Believer
typo
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, GreyWolf said:

I bet there won’t be many on this forum the least bit surprised by this news.

Cue the usual suspects defending its necessity to the hilt on the grounds of Anfield, Goodison and Liverpool One.

In fact, I might go out on a limb here and predict £115M for total.

• Like 2