Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

I saw on Facebook, the local MP covering Heysham is asking for Heysham Ferry Terminal to be renovated. He argues it’s an eyesore. Who would pay? Peel Ports? Or would IOMG start to pretend the Island is world leading, and taxpayers will end up with Liverpool MK2? 

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

It looks like there is not much more space left - if things are centred up on each end.

Screenshot_2023-10-13_09-53-06.png.cc3c3c22edcb09e5512a950b9cc5bcb9.png

Don't ask me why but like you I have a very uneasy feeling about the way this linkspan is sited/sitting until we see how far away from the wall the fenders will be sited. I also hope that they're going to place some protective stone/iron works to the left side (as you look at it now) of the linkspan.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Would not of been much of an engineering fabrication problem to bring a ramp the whole width of the old lock entrance and flare it at the bottom. Not sure why it has been canted at the angle it has, can only see crap design. No doubt brighter minds than mine 

It’d be a cost driven thing. Filling the entire width would result in a wider, heavier, more expensive structure. Heavier structure would require heavier hinge mounts landside.  Not sure of effect of asymmetrical end as you suggest on stability.

Im assuming that the land side hinge is perpendicular to the link span road way, so there are no odd torsion effects. 

What I’m saying is you need to ignore the old dock gate structure. It’s irrelevant. As long as the link span is perpendicular to its mounts.

• Thanks 1

On 10/13/2023 at 12:00 PM, Andy Onchan said:

Don't ask me why but like you I have a very uneasy feeling about the way this linkspan is sited/sitting until we see how far away from the wall the fenders will be sited. I also hope that they're going to place some protective stone/iron works to the left side (as you look at it now) of the linkspan.  

The orange coloured pillar looks like it is fixed to the seabed, and the collar on the landing stage slides up and down the pillar. So there is no possibility of sideways movement.

Screenshot_2023-10-14_14-23-48.png.f0dfd9f45f75783931414b48d5706176.pngScreenshot_2023-10-14_14-24-57.png.d938c3a2cb9c50214503be4e33084a6f.png

1 hour ago, x-in-man said:

Just love the number of marine engineers here.

You talkin' to me? You talkin' to ME?

Well, I’m the only one here.  The photos I posted above were because I was interested in how the sideways movement of the pontoon would be restricted. I sometimes contemplate about irrelevant things - like how women can walk with their arms folded.

But if ManxForumers had been allowed to see and comment on all design and financial documents for this project, would things have been different? I think so because there are people here who are pedantic and are willing to analyse things in detail and have a degree of plain, old-fashioned, common sense. People like that are good to have on a project.

Do they know anything about civil engineering? No. But they have an idea about what questions to ask. Does Emily Curphey know anything about civil engineering? Does Emily Curphey know anything?

Do you want me to play the "Don't laugh, please clip" again?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/13/2023 at 11:55 AM, 2112 said:

I saw on Facebook, the local MP covering Heysham is asking for Heysham Ferry Terminal to be renovated. He argues it’s an eyesore. Who would pay? Peel Ports? Or would IOMG start to pretend the Island is world leading, and taxpayers will end up with Liverpool MK2? 

Well they’ve seen how much money professional developers can fleece from us in Liverpool and probably fancy a go themselves. 

• Like 6

At a risk of being howled down by the usual IOMG cheerleaders on here, I noticed a Granada Reports video on Facebook of the new linkspan being taken on a barge and being installed at the new Liverpool Landing Stage. At the beginning of the film, the credits said Isle of Man Government/Liverpool Waters. So are we as taxpayers paying for endless promotional videos dick waving supposed success? 

On 10/13/2023 at 11:55 AM, 2112 said:

It certainly is an eyesore and as the main gateway to the Isle of Man it is shameful. Particularly shameful is the fact that our MHKs don't see it or don't care. The place looks run down and grubby. Even a few pots of paint and some (maintained) planters would help - but that would cost hundreds, and we don't do hundreds - only millions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, McCallig said:

It certainly is an eyesore and as the main gateway to the Isle of Man it is shameful. Particularly shameful is the fact that our MHKs don't see it or don't care. The place looks run down and grubby. Even a few pots of paint and some (maintained) planters would help - but that would cost hundreds, and we don't do hundreds - only millions.

True, but it is not IOMG/SPC to do renovations or improvements. I thought the building belongs to Peel Ports? Perhaps, our CM Cannan who likes to think he is a man of influence, could use his influence, and have a word in the ear of island resident John Whittaker, who owns Peel Ports? Perhaps he could persuade him to commit funding to tidying up the building? Sadly I don’t think he has any skills beneficial to the island. 🏝️ 

• Like 1

On 10/15/2023 at 11:26 AM, McCallig said:

I thought it was a psychological ploy to look the entrance into Douglas feel like you're heading into an upmarket Brighton

Edited by Mercenary