Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

On 1/10/2024 at 7:37 PM, Non-Believer said:

One would love to know what the financial arrangements will be in respect of this Govt-owned facility and the "arms-length", Govt-owned ferry operator. To include how much it's going to cost to run and how and over how long they intend to recoup the spend?

They will probably charge passengers to use the toilets, and look at many revenue streams to deprive passengers of cash.

2 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Will the ticket to Liverpool be more expensive than Heysham to reflect the amenities.

It's not been more expensive to reflect the greater distance, so I doubt it. Actually, should be cheaper for the very fact that once you exit the terminal, you find yourself in...... Liverpool.

• Haha 1

in the meantime it would make a bloody good  riverside Chinese , its actually   in  liverpool"s  china town  , after all its going to be under utilized for 8 months of the year ,and every passenger could have a takeaway to eat on the passage 

If I recall, the justification for the SPCO purchase was the return on investment enhancing revenue yearly, of course underpinned by the emotive 'lifeline'. Of course there will be other views but we paid a ridiculous amount of money given the circumstances. 

It is difficult to see now how the same business case can apply, given, that taking into account the purchase, the business stands the taxpayers at something like 300 million + !

Liverpool beggars belief, anyone presenting that to private business would be laughed out the place.

I can see nothing but constant fare rises to service, what at it's inception, may have been a lifeline but imo is fast turning into a millstone.

I do wonder why the taxpayers paid what I recall was 100k for a report which we are not allowed to see and as far as I know has never been released or debated by anyone. I do wonder what it contained ?

Edited by asitis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Omobono said:

in the meantime it would make a bloody good  riverside Chinese , its actually   in  liverpool"s  china town  , after all its going to be under utilized for 8 months of the year ,and every passenger could have a takeaway to eat on the passage 

So China Town has moved then. That was kept quiet.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, asitis said:

taxpayers paid what I recall was 100k for a report which we are not allowed to see and as far as I know has never been released or debated by anyone. I do wonder what it contained ?

Because the IOMG regards the Steam Packet as being a ‘private’ company no one outside the Steam Packet, including MHKs, are allowed to know anything about any of its internal financial arrangements - I have heard a rumour that the company makes eyewatering pension contributions to senior employees on top of their substantial salaries. The same generously remunerated senior employees are fighting tooth and nail to reduce the terms and conditions of ordinary employees. One set of standards for the bosses, and another set of standards for the workers...sound familiar?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, code99 said:

Because the IOMG regards the Steam Packet as being a ‘private’ company no one outside the Steam Packet, including MHKs, are allowed to know anything about any of its internal financial arrangements - I have heard a rumour that the company makes eyewatering pension contributions to senior employees on top of their substantial salaries. The same generously remunerated senior employees are fighting tooth and nail to reduce the terms and conditions of ordinary employees. One set of standards for the bosses, and another set of standards for the workers...sound familiar?

You cant beat a good rumour😄

6 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Except a bad rumour of course.

A rumour that is unfounded is the worst type of all. By its definition, a rumour is something not to be believed

a currently circulating story or report of uncertain or doubtful truth

Only thing worse than a rumour is something that someone on good authority told crazydave

• Haha 2