Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

Did anyone hear Alfs interview on manxradio before Christmas, I am sure he said that the steam packet wouldn't be paying a dividend to treasury as it needs to pay for the replacement seacat!  I had to listen again later in case he said the Manxman....

8 minutes ago, Declan said:

It rather beggars belief we've spent all that money to move the landing stage to a slightly less convenient spot. 

Indeed. IOMSPCo didn't need to move at all as LCC decided not to progress any further with their cruise ship development project (one of the reasons for kicking them off the landing stage in the first place). 

Edited by Andy Onchan
  • Like 4

36 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Indeed. IOMSPCo didn't need to move at all as LCC decided not to progress any further with their cruise ship development project (one of the reasons for kicking them off the landing stage in the first place). 

We have greatly contributed to the regeneration of Liverpool. No doubt, a lot further than just the Half Tide Dock area...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cissolt said:

Did anyone hear Alfs interview on manxradio before Christmas, I am sure he said that the steam packet wouldn't be paying a dividend to treasury as it needs to pay for the replacement seacat!  I had to listen again later in case he said the Manxman....

Listen again and then report back rather than asking us what we heard or misheard

2 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Really - OMFG! Argh!

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, SuffolkNGoode said:

Really - OMFG! Argh!

Well they have postponed the construction of the new cruise terminal. Doesn't mean they will never do it. 

Yes there is an irony, but we were evicted so there was no choice if we wanted to continue sailing to Liverpool. 

2 hours ago, asitis said:

Whilst a nice to have, I cannot comprehend why they were so insistent, Liverpool  at any cost !

It wasn't Liverpool at any cost though. The decision was made based on it costing £2OM. 

If those making the decision had been told it was going to around £100M then would they have made the same decision.

It's become Liverpool at any cost, but it wasn't originally.

• Like 3

On 1/12/2024 at 2:18 PM, cissolt said:

I think he meant the replacement of the Seacat? Whether that will be another fast craft or not will be up to them. 

I'm more concerned with the fact that Manxman is not being used on the Liverpool route until November, but I guess that it will be weekends only and replacing the Seacat winter schedules?

I still think that relying on Heysham for freight has been a huge mistake, facilities on Liverpool docks would have been preferable, even if moved further down the Dock Road. In fact, despite what our government spouted at the time about everyone wanting to continue with Hesham, they were lying! Heysham is an hour up the motorway and is a shithole for passengers, it puts a couple of hours on the journey to civilisation and back!   

13 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I think he meant the replacement of the Seacat? Whether that will be another fast craft or not will be up to them. 

I'm more concerned with the fact that Manxman is not being used on the Liverpool route until November, but I guess that it will be weekends only and replacing the Seacat winter schedules?

I still think that relying on Heysham for freight has been a huge mistake, facilities on Liverpool docks would have been preferable, even if moved further down the Dock Road. In fact, despite what our government spouted at the time about everyone wanting to continue with Hesham, they were lying! Heysham is an hour up the motorway and is a shithole for passengers, it puts a couple of hours on the journey to civilisation and back!   

Public transport at Heysham is almost non-existent.

• Like 2

if you do your research   Heysham has been a major  contributor to the demise of the tourist industry  no good for foot passengers very poor onward travel  connections ,  the decision should have been to go to 12 Quays in Birkenhead they were offered this facility  but declined leaving Stena to build their new double deck link span  that steam packet ships cant use ,   if only someone have some foresight ,

• Like 2